Who is buying an iPad 3 now?

Shasta McNasty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2010
Southern Cali
How many of you who were iPad-less are going to be buying the 3? I just purchased a pristine iPad 3 from a fellow member for $335. The new new iPad doesn't really seem like a big update so I'm thinking this will tide me over until the thinner, lighter real update to the iPad comes. Who else is with me?

hkfan24

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
If I was currently iPad-less and was going to buy an ipad, you better believe I'm buying the latest one that's getting released.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
i might get the 4 eventually, but i wish it was thinner and lighter

at least they kept the leather smart covers! those are so nice

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
im still using an ipad 1. i feel that i got the most out of it that i could. I will be upgrading to the ipad 4 for sure. The ipad 3 will be cheaper but I want the newest generation which i will keep for a long long time. the new chip is exactly what it needed. going from an ipad 1 to an ipad 4 is a massive upgrade. so im happy.

jigzaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
I'm iPad-less and had been planning on waiting for March. A little unsure what to do now because the 4 looks very good but I was hoping for thinner/lighter for easier in-bed reading. Retina is a MUST so no Mini.

Honestly don't know. Still uncertain if there's going to be a new NEW generation in March. If so, I can easily hold out til then.

Shasta McNasty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2010
Southern Cali
If I was currently iPad-less and was going to buy an ipad, you better believe I'm buying the latest one that's getting released.
I'd generally agree with that except this is an underwhelming update imo. I'd rather buy the 3. Save the $200 and change and wait for the iPad 5. Whenever that may be. Hopefully in March :D

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
Why not for $334 + tax, free smart cover, 12 month warranty, 5% cashback and 95% off the experience. I will wait 6 months till the ipad 5 and save my $$$

Attachments

Last edited:

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
I'm iPad-less and had been planning on waiting for March. A little unsure what to do now because the 4 looks very good but I was hoping for thinner/lighter for easier in-bed reading. Retina is a MUST so no Mini.

Honestly don't know. Still uncertain if there's going to be a new NEW generation in March. If so, I can easily hold out til then.
Don't put it past them to release Ipad 5 in March..reason is they need to update it and it would put it back to it's usual cycle and they would all be lightning connector ready. Ipad 4 was penned in because they would look silly putting Ipad mini with a new dock connector making Ipad 3 look old.

NateEssex

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
iPad 1 to Mini

im still using an ipad 1. i feel that i got the most out of it that i could. I will be upgrading to the ipad 4 for sure. The ipad 3 will be cheaper but I want the newest generation which i will keep for a long long time. the new chip is exactly what it needed. going from an ipad 1 to an ipad 4 is a massive upgrade. so im happy.
I've been rockin' my iPad 1 and will now go iPad Mini...as long as the screen looks decent.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
I have a 64GB wifi iPad 1. It serves my purposes, but is starting to get a little sluggish. I had planned on waiting a while longer before upgrading, but with the introduction of the iPad 4 today, I just ordered a refurb 32GB iPad 3. It was $469. One of the factors driving the decision was the 30 pin dock connector. One of the main things I use my iPad for is watching movies while traveling. I have the composite video cable for this since most places I visit have at least composite hookups. Sure, some have HDMI, but almost all have composite.

This coupled with the fact that I don't need the latest and greatest lead me to click the buy button.

jigzaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Don't put it past them to release Ipad 5 in March..reason is they need to update it and it would put it back to it's usual cycle and they would all be lightning connector ready. Ipad 4 was penned in because they would look silly putting Ipad mini with a new dock connector making Ipad 3 look old.
I know, I just can't imagine what they would add to it now that they've upgraded to the current processor.. an even higher-rez retina? Thinner and lighter, I would imagine. I'm leaning towards jumping in and going with the 4 as my first iPad. If it get significantly upgraded, I can always sell it and upgrade.

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
They have the iPad 3 refurbished now for 379. Anyone dumb enough not to check the refurb section at this point if they were looking at the iPad 2 new deserves it.

I mean, retina display for 20 bucks less or weaker display for 20 bucks more, and a5x and memory and etc.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
We're in the process of buying our first home so can't be spending money on non- essentials for a while, but I'm definitely looking to buy one in the not too distant future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.