Who is buying the Droid on Friday?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by m3kilpat, Oct 30, 2009.

?

Will you buy the Droid?

Poll closed Nov 7, 2009.
  1. Yes, can't wait!

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Absolutely not!

22 vote(s)
    62.9%
  3. Maybe, but I'm not sure yet.

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  1. m3kilpat macrumors regular

Verizon's new phone called the Motorola Droid is being released on Friday November 6. I was wondering how many people plan on buying it and how many aren't. Also, what is your reason for buying/not buying it?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Still locked into a contract with AT&T, although even if I wasn't I'd still keep my iPhone 3G. The app store is a big reason and I haven't found a non Apple phone that I liked the UI of. I'll have to go and play with the phone though.

3. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

I'll check it out for sure, see how it looks. If I like it I'll get it, if not I won't :p.

4. m3kilpat thread starter macrumors regular

Phonedog has done an unboxing video of it already for anyone who wants to see it in action. They should also be doing a "review" of it soon as well.

The reason I want to get it is because I've been waiting for a decent touch screen to come along for Verizon. I haven't wanted to switch to AT&T since I'd have to pay a cancellation fee and then get a $110 plan with them. So I've been stuck with my 3 year old LG VX8600 (I think it's called) and it's about to STB (sh** the bed).

I looked into the Storm when it first came out but it was wayy too unresponsive for me. The Storm2 looks much better with the software update but with the Droid coming at the same time that looks better to me, especially with the Google Navigation since I need a GPS anyways. 2in1 baby.

Also, where are people planning on buying it? I heard bestbuy sells their phones at the rebate price (aka no mail in rebate to deal with) so I will probably do that. Plus I have a giftcard so even more savings.

5. brendu macrumors 68020

if you buy it at best buy, DO NOT get black tie protection on it.. it is terrible service and takes forever to get a replacement, get the VZ warranty over the phone or however VZ offers it, black tie = no good.

6. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I am very seriously considering it. I live in a part of Virginia where AT&T service is absolute garbage and Verizon is the only way to go. I am using a Centro; was waiting for the Pre to hit Verizon, but switching from centro to pre or droid is going to be about the same-- its still starting over/ hitting exchange integration for me. I'm worried that the pre is stillborn, and I am enough of a geek to appreciate the openness of the droid-- if I can stick MAME on it and rip a few DVDs I will be as happy as a clam...

7. m3kilpat thread starter macrumors regular

Wasn't planning on it. I wasn't even going to get a warranty at all. I've never broken a phone so I'm not too worried about that aspect and anytime I've had a problem with the phone I just bother them until they give me another one. I'm sure there's some manufacturing warranty right? Do you think I really should get a warranty through VZ though?

8. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Having a hard time deciding between the Droid and Eris, the Droid has a few things making me shy away from it.

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

<waives hand> These are not the droids you are looking for. :D

10. m3kilpat thread starter macrumors regular

Like what?

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

:D:eek::D - thinking the same thing after just watching that last night...