Who is buying the instore MBPR ultimate configuration?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by albert1028, Jun 14, 2012.

1. albert1028 macrumors 6502

Just curious, the MBPR starts at $2199 and goes all the way up to $3749. I'm surprised even the $3749 is out of stock for those apple stores that have started carrying them.

I'm curious to see the reasons, work? video editing? heavy processing and storage requirements? or just future proofing?

2. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i was tempted too because I really want 16gb but I don't want to wait 4 weeks for it. I do video editing and some photo editing and it would be my only system. I think I am going to just get the 2799 version because I don't keep my systems for more than a year and I think the ultimate version would be quite hard to sell second hand

3. albert1028 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was tempted as well as for the 16gb and am use to multitasking on our 32gb Mac Pro Hex Core. But this would be my portable and not my main computer. I think for me, i've ordered the $2199 + 16gb upgrade as i'm sure OWC will offer some upgrades in the future, should i warrant it.

But it's important to realize selling the ultimate fully loaded version second hand is going to be tough without a huge loss relative to the other units.

Plus an extra $1550 for processor, memory, and storage, just seems too high, even though i know the special components are actually okay value this time around for apple pricing.

4. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

yea for the price of the this laptop I could get a hex core mac pro .. really tempted .. but the lack of usb3 and tb is really turning me off

5. markp99 macrumors member

I chose the 16MB option, but with the smaller SSD to start.

RAM will "never" be upgradable, while removable SSD hopefully will see some alternate sources over time.

6. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

I think it's basically the people that want 16GB of RAM, but don't want to wait 3-4 weeks.

I'd be out there combing Apple stores and Best Buy's for the base model if I knew I could live with 8GB of RAM....sadly I think my impulsivity has been beaten by logic.

7. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

I don't know why people are dying for the 16gb..most people don't need it, 8gb is plenty..also no way you can keep your laptop fast for more than 3 years, just look back at the original unibody processor and graphics, see the huge speed jump, so either way you'll have to change it after 3 years if you still want a pro machine..

8. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

But see, that's thing...this is a Pro machine now...and this thing is the dream of mobile video editors everywhere (especially those working with new high-res digital formats). 16GB is the baseline today for those pro apps...so 8GB is a non-starter.

But I hear you, that's not everyone....the irony is that this computer answers the wants of so many pros, the 16GB model should be more available.

9. iFanboy Guest

Wrong. It depends HEAVILY on how you use it.

Take the 2008/2009 Macbook Pro unibody in my sig. It's as fast as the day I bought it and I'm typing on it right now. It boots in seconds, shuts down in a second actually.

Web browsing and pretty much every non-latest game flies on it. Office 2011 flies and all the other productivity apps I've tried. The only thing that doesn't is graphics heavy apps.

Obviously if I'm going to game constantly your opinion is valid, but given the vastly different ways people use computers many many many people can have a fast laptop after 3 years.

10. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

I'm using the original unibody with only 4gb and what kept it going for me is that i installed SSD for it, i use it mostly everything (including CAD work) but it's not that fast, i had an iMac but i sold it few months ago and saved money for the rMBP.

anyways it really depends on use, for architecture (me) most of apps i'm going to use need max cpu+gpu, not so much ram (other than photoshop).

11. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I have been going down to the Apple store every day, and the few times they have gotten some units in they sell out in minutes. They have not gotten any models with 768gb and obviously have no idea when (or if) they will get them.

I have a 16gb / 768gb on order, estimating 2 - 3 weeks :(

----------

I have 10gb on my Mac Pro at home and I need more. Sure, most people won't need it but without a doubt I do.

I use it for development and just MySQL alone is using 2gb or so. Chome another 1.2gb. I currently hit 8gb on my laptop easily. (I have 400mb free currently)