Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vbedia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
I am curious. I could fill up all that storage with movies and music. Although, I could go by with 64GB for my workflow. I understand Apple gives away 2GB of RAM in addition for those users.

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet, I own a 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9 with 128GB.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I am curious. I could fill up all that storage with movies and music. Although, I could go by with 64GB for my workflow. I understand Apple gives away 2GB of RAM in addition for those users.

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet, I own a 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9 with 128GB.
I was tempted to cancel the 12.9" LTE 256GB and order the 11" WiFi 1TB but ultimately decided against it. It's going to be a pain to work with huge multi-gigabyte PSDs on the iPad anyway due to the file system sucking and likely having to use iCloud and I'll likely buy another iPad in three years anyway so the longevity thing isn't that important. Though I'll likely end up giving this one to my grandparents or my kids so it will be used for a long time. It should be fine for editing my 42MP RAW photos as my 10.5" is already good. And for the resolutions I typically deal with in Photoshop it should be fine for like 80-90% of my work. If I need to merge a large panorama or something I'll do it on my Mac. The main annoyance of Safari not being able to hold tabs is behind us now for the most part. It's not annoying and only really old tabs get reloaded which is usually desired anyway. That and content blockers make webpages a lot smaller now.

Reactions: ConvertedToMac

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Considering the 1TB option simply for the additional RAM and the future-proofing of it. $400 extra is a tough pill to swallow though, so I’ll likely get the 512GB.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
In its current form, that's a difficult sell for me... should they make those few tweaks that I've mentioned in the past, it would be a "shut up and take my money" no-brainer.
I might wait for refurbs or something. That's pretty much one of the few ways top storage LTE configurations get discounted. I was expecting ~$300 more for new top tier "small" iPad Pro, not $670. I was hoping for further discounts on refurb Pro 10.5 if I do go for last year's, alas that didn't pan out either.

Still being Compact Width in 1/2 split view has kinda dampened my enthusiasm.

Last edited:
Reactions: sracer

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I know it’s pricey, but i’m pulling the trigger on the 1TB. I plan to use it as my only computer for everything including editing 4K video & photos. But when I heard that only the 1 TB models will come with 6 gigs of ram while all the other sizes will come with 4 gigs....well that pretty much sealed the deal.

Reactions: sracer and vbedia

vbedia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
I know it’s pricey, but i’m pulling the trigger on the 1TB. I plan to use it as my only computer for everything including editing 4K video & photos. But when I heard that only the 1 TB models will come with 6 gigs of ram while all the other sizes will come with 4 gigs....well that pretty much sealed the deal.
ok, I understand you're buying the keyboard and pencil too? since you wanna use it as your primary computer.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Indeed, it is.

Ok, I understand your point. The thing is that's not gonna stop me in 2-3 years time to buy a new iPad. I mean just because it has some extra RAM that doesn't mean I will keep it longer.
You’re right, from my perspective it’s to get me to the 2-3 year mark in the first place instead of next year. I’m a non-recovering tech addict. :oops:

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
ok, I understand you're buying the keyboard and pencil too? since you wanna use it as your primary computer.

Actually, not the keyboard. Just the pencil. I am one of those odd balls that actually prefers typing on the screen instead of a keyboard. I find the on screen keyboard very comfortable and I can type very fast wether it is laying on the table in landscape, or if I am holding it in portrait and typing with my thumbs. That’s another reason I am leaning towards the 10.5”/11”. I can type perfectly with my thumbs in portrait. Not at all on the previous 12.9” (and I have big hands). Even with the slimmer bezels, i still don’t think I will be able to do that on the new 12.9” in portrait.

Reactions: yaboid01

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Actually, not the keyboard. Just the pencil. I am one of those odd balls that actually prefers typing on the screen instead of a keyboard. I find the on screen keyboard very comfortable and I can type very fast wether it is laying on the table in landscape, or if I am holding it in portrait and typing with my thumbs. That’s another reason I am leaning towards the 10.5”/11”. I can type perfectly with my thumbs in portrait. Not at all on the previous 12.9” (and I have big hands). Even with the slimmer bezels, i still don’t think I will be able to do that on the new 12.9” in portrait.
I guess I'm an odd ball, too, then! :D

I find physical keyboards a hassle when not sitting on a desk and especially when lounging on the couch or in bed.

Reactions: Greenmeenie

vbedia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
I guess I'm an odd ball, too, then! :D

I find physical keyboards a hassle when not sitting on a desk and especially when lounging on the couch or in bed.
I like physical keys when I type on them rather than digital ones. I see some people type very fast on their phones. Well, I am not :oops:

In my case the iPad is not my primary device, although I use it a lot at home. From watching videos, reading, writing notes, that kind of stuff.. even drawing from time to time.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
It’s appealing, but that cost is just crazy. I am fine with 64GB as the only space I take up is for movies and shows for traveling. Easy to delete off after watching.

PennyThought

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2018
If I buy this, it probably will the the 12.9 w/512gb. The price bump to go to 1tb (and the extra RAM) is way too much at $400.

I'll wait until BB has a sale of at least $100-150 before buying so I might have to wait a good while. And that's provided the battery life tests to at least 10.5-11 hrs the way Engadget measures it.

If it is less battery life than that, I may scale back significantly. Maybe even a Samsung S4 (or S5 when/if it comes)...I might even try the Surface Pro. This is some major money now that Apple has raised the prices as they did.

Reactions: Tunji99

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You can only get 128GB on the new MBA - and it has an actual file system! Why on earth does anyone need a terabyte on an iPad?!
Easy to plugin external HDDs on MBA. No such option for iPad. For local storage, you're stuck with what you buy initially. There are some types of content that you can't or are inconvenient to stream.

Reactions: ignatius345

vbedia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
It’s appealing, but that cost is just crazy. I am fine with 64GB as the only space I take up is for movies and shows for traveling. Easy to delete off after watching.

Not only the cost; the main problem is that after 2-3 years time the resale value has diminished a lot in comparison with the base line. I think trying to sale the 1TB iPad after that period of time will mean to take serious losses. Probably $1k down. Yet I am tempting to buy it. Silly me

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Not only the cost; the main problem is that after 2-3 years time the resale value has diminished a lot in comparison with the base line. I think trying to sale the 1TB iPad after that period of time will mean to take serious losses. Probably $1k down. Yet I am tempting to buy it. Silly me

That's a good point too. I resell every year so definitely something to think about. I really don't expect any used iPad to sell for more than $600-$800. I just sold my 256 10.5 for $600. $200 off what I paid.

Reactions: vbedia

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Easy to plugin external HDDs on MBA. No such option for iPad. For local storage, you're stuck with what you buy initially. There are some types of content that you can't or are inconvenient to stream.

Be interesting to see if external drives are actually an option now that the iPad has usb-c
[doublepost=1541071719][/doublepost]
Just how many movies, tv show, and music does a person need available immediately? Do you have a lot of proprietary data that you don't want others to potentially have access to? If the answer is no.
Save the money and use a cloud storage solution rather than the huge expense of 1TB of built in storage on an iPad.
Saving money is not a crime.

Cloud storage costs money for storage, and data plan costs to transfer, and time to download that data. One doesn’t replace the other.

Reactions: yaboid01

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
You can only get 128GB on the new MBA - and it has an actual file system! Why on earth does anyone need a terabyte on an iPad?!
Which config are you going for? In terms of storage?
[doublepost=1541071813][/doublepost]
Only people I can think of are video editors who refuse to use a laptop/desktop pc

Reactions: AlliFlowers

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
64 is enough for me. Even when I'm traveling, I can load a couple of movies. I don't want to keep them forever cause the next trip I'll want different movies.
Can I ask - do you use iCloud storage? What will your main use Case be? Any content creation?
[doublepost=1541072756][/doublepost]
Can I ask - do you use iCloud storage? What will your main use Case be? Any content creation?
Basicly I’m torn because Apple have yet again screwed us over with the
Pricing vs Storage tiers, also factor in cost of accessories (including their £99 case ) and you’ve spent a small fortune already! So am agonising between 64 va 256.
I had 128 before and have 2TB of iCloud

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.