iPad Who is considering picking up a 4th gen iPad? I am....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by s2mikey, Nov 4, 2013.

1. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Hmmm - as much as some of the iPad air features/improvements intrigue me I cant get away from the pretty good deals(likely to get even better) on the 4th gen iPad refurbs. I could save hundreds of dollars and/or get more storage/cell support for the same money as a new Air.

Portability isnt a huge thing for me and Ive never minded the weight of the my iPad 2. Im likely going to pass my 2nd gen ipad to my daughter so Ill need something to replace it.

Just curious if any other prospective iPad buyers are actually leaning towards a 4th gen iPad at these good prices? Im like 80% leaning that way. Can get a 32gb verizon model for like $550 bucks shipped from Apple(refurbed). Its $200+ less than an Air.

2. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

There is no shortage of people on this site willing to help talk you into whatever decision you're contemplating. There is an equal number willing to help explain why your decision is horrible (because they made the opposite decision and need to justify it as well).

3. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Grab it... it's not like the 4th gen is a subpar product, it's actually really great. The air is the next step up - lighter and faster. If you want the latest and greatest you gotta pony up the dollars and to some people, it's just not worth the extra dollars.

4. s2mikey thread starter macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Oh I know - Its nice to hear everyones take on this kind of stuff. You may get the one argument that you hadnt thought of or whatever. And, maybe in a way you DO like the advice if it lines up with what you were thinking . ;)

Sure thing - the 4th gen isnt exactly old like my iPad 2 is :D

5. DFZD macrumors regular

iPad 3 and 4 are too similar, and you'd be able to use the same connector if you go with the ipad 3. Plus you can save more, if saving is the thing you're going for. If not, iPad air is a very good upgrade from ipad 2 IMO. :)

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Too similar if all you consider is the appearance.

Regardless, if you can be happy with previous ten hardware, the iPad 4 is a very compelling purchase used.

----------

Too similar if all you consider is the appearance. I would always get the iPad 4 over the 3, just like I would always get the iPhone 4S over the 4. Its just going to last you longer.

Regardless, if you can be happy with previous gen hardware, the iPad 4 is a very compelling purchase used. You'll be able to get the higher capacity models with accessories for pennies on the dollar.

7. s2mikey thread starter macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Thats the biggest seling point for me right now. Im not a penny-pincher but I dont always feel the need for the latest and greatest. My iPad 2 has served me well and still is but the kid wants it and she'll get good use out of it.

Very interesting.... I really need to get to a store and handle the new Air & use it for a while. That might tip the scales. ;)

8. jrbd90 macrumors newbie

I bought a 4th gen refurb this time because:

1. It was $150 less for a wifi 32gb model compared to the air.
    2. I can use the same $80 Waterfield case sleeve from my 3rd gen that I like a lot.

I sold my 1st gen and was left with my 3rd gen that the kids are starting to beat up.

Now the 3rd gen is at 100% kids duty and the 4th gen is for me.

Maybe when they announce the 6th gen I will sell the 3rd and pick up an Air 64gb refurb, who knows!

9. Capt T macrumors 6502a

If you go to the store checking out the latest....it might not help you go with last years model.....;)

The 4 is still a very capable machine. And would be a big improvement over your 2nd gen. And a good deal for the price break. You may even be able to get a good deal on a new one, that a store wants to get rid of.

I picked up the air. The only bummer is new cables/connector...since I still have a iPhone 4S, and an iPod with the old connectors and lots of cables. Other than that, really think they did a great job with the improvements.

10. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

It may not be too long before iPad Air starts showing up in the refurb section on Apple's website. I wonder what that is then going to do to the iPad 4 refurb prices....

11. DFZD macrumors regular

To be honest I sold my iPad 3, 2 months ago, in hope of buying the iPad 5 when it releases with new hardware and 2GB ram. Apple didn't deliver that, but they did deliver a promise, of a pro device, so I'm going to wait for that now. :)

12. s2mikey thread starter macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I know, right? I thought of that too and even though the prices are good right now for the 4th gen I suspect they will have to be dropped if Airs start shwoing up refurbed!

That brings up another issue...do I wait a few more weeks to see what kind of Holiday pricing happens or whatever? I know...you cant wait forever. :D

Yes, yes, and more yes. I might try to hit an Apple store on my lunch break this week.

13. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I bought a refurb iPad 4 128GB Verizon ($729) to avoid the white and neon travesty that is iOS 7. The $200 savings was a smaller consideration. Will be getting a retina Mini though so will see if that changes my loathing for iOS 7. :p

Granted, I do wonder if refurb iPad Airs will drop the price on older models even further. Usually though, discounts on current models isn't that high so current iPad 2/3/4 pricing might not be affected much.

14. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I'm in a similar situation. I also have an iPad 2...and a family member who eagerly awaits as I "move on." It may make sense to wait and see what happens to iPad 4 refurb prices. With seemingly a number of people complaining about the Air screen quality (at least on this forum), and also with a number of folks who are likely going to replace their Air with iPad Mini with Retina, when that becomes available, it shouldn't be long before Air hits the refurb section.

15. Bear macrumors G3

This is an interesting decision. How long are you planning on keeping this iPad? If it's a year, then the iPad 4, If it's 2 years, it's a hard call which to get. More than 2 years, get the iPad Air.

The iPad 3 is underpowered for it's screen. I wouldn't recommend it at all. And at some point they would wind up with a lightning connector so they may as well get it now.

16. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I am kind of torn. I want to get my mom an iPad for Christmas (she currently has my old iPad 1). Looking at performance differences between the Air and 4 makes me say that the extra money is worth going with the Air but at the same time my mom isn't exactly tech savvy and probably wouldn't notice the difference.

17. s2mikey thread starter macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Exactly the same situation as me. My youngest daughter has been "slumming it" it witha 4th gen iPod touch and wants my ipad 2 right this second.... she bugs me everyday. :D

It appears that holding out a week or so might be a good thing for us both the way things are going.

18. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

If you can manage to get a good deal, it's really a no brainer. You'll love the 4th gen iPad, especially coming from an iPad 2!

19. RebornProphet Suspended

The iPad 4 destroys the 3 in terms of performance. I've owned both and even without checking the benchmarks you can see and feel the difference. I would never tell anyone to pick up a 3 nor call it "similar" to the 4 (other than build and appearance) because it just cannot handle that display unfortunately.

20. DanTSX macrumors regular

I will probably be picking up a refurb 4. $379 to start right now. Will go check out the iPad air first though.

I only care about retina and being able to browse websites while sitting in the living room.

It will go nicely with the refurb rMBP that I pick up later in the year for wifey as well. Might update my iMac while I am at it. Apple refurb store has saved me quite a bit of $$$$ over the years.

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I wouldn't get an iPad 4. iOS7 (and 8) will only get better, and the 64 bit apps will start coming out and getting better and better. 32bit devices will be left in the dust, not being able to run all the OS features or some cool apps. If I were pressed for cash I'd wait and save up some more. But that's me. You asked for opinions. :cool:

22. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Not trying to hijack thread, but I've been wondering about the iPad 4 as well. My one question is, can we be sure it won't have iOS 7 on it if we buy it refurb? Thanks

23. DanTSX macrumors regular

Valid reasoning, but iPads will get better as well.

24. RebornProphet Suspended

By the time 64 bit makes any kind of difference there will be a more powerful iPad to take full advantage of it. Swings and roundabouts.

25. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Can't be sure but you can always return it for full refund if it does. That said, the refurb iPad 4 I ordered 10/25 came with iOS 6.1.3. :)