Who is DEFINITELY going to pick up a new Mac mini this year?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Ghost31, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Here's to hoping we see a nice little sky lake update this year! It's hard waiting

2. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Definitely? yes, buying one? No..
    If apple stick with the silly soldering the memory to the motherboard and basically making it none upgradable...

3. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

Well we will have to see what they have for me. I am ready to move on from the HD 4000 in my 2012 Mini but I am think I'd rather the Iris Pro than just an Iris. That probably won't make it into the Minis.

Of course getting a chip that supports 4k is one thing. Finding a 4k monitor I like the aesthetics of is another LOL I still hang onto my Thunderbolt display because I like how it looks on my desk. There's much better monitors out there now.

4. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

Whilst my mini 2009/drobo pro combo keep going and don't run out of storage then unlikely to be upgrading.

Would like to see a skylake system hopefully with tb3/usb-c fitted however I cannot see Apple adding tb3 to the range till after the Mac Pro is updated with it.

5. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Possibly,yes……. If the original HDD on my 2009 Mac Mini fails, and there is a 2016 Mac Mini, I would weigh up the cost effectiveness of repairing the 2009 vs the benefits of the 2016.

I was faced with the same decision in 2009, when the HDD failed and the power supply was dicky on my original 2005 Mini. Replacement with the 2009 was clear favourite then.

Probably, no…… The 2009 is still more than adequate for my humble needs. Though have been sone interesting tech developments since, there have been none of great significance to my one computer / no iDevice household.

Most likely my 2009 (base model; 2 Ghz, 1 + 4 GB RAM, 120 GB HDD, with an external 500 GB HDD for additional storage) with Mountain Lion, will soldier on a couple or three more years before it is replaced.

6. bse5150, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  7. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

TB3 quad core with a iris pro 580 and I will, anything less then that I won't

8. janitor3 macrumors regular

Mid 2010 Mac Mini upgraded to 8gb memory + 1TB HDD, running great on Mavericks, so, no plans to replace for the foreseeable future.

9. adonis3k macrumors 6502

if it looks just like my 2012 model with upgradable memory, then yes I will replace my i7 2012 machine

10. bse5150, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016

bse5150 macrumors 6502

bse5150

I will definitely be picking up a Mac Mini this year. My current Mini is a Core Duo running Snow Leopard. Old, I know, but I have a MacBook Pro and MacBook Air which are running El Capitan. So I'm definitely going to get a new Mini this year.

11. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

I'm hoping to get one this year. Need to sideload apps to my new Apple TV and my old Mini is running Snow Leopard, which means I can't load X-Code. Hope Apple announces one soon.

J

12. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

No memory slots in the Mini is a deal-breaker. We all know there's space in there for memory slots. It's just a big middle finger from Apple.

I don't know what I'll do when my 2012 is no longer up to the task. I can only hope someone will be making a small computer that is as nice as a MM.

13. Osty macrumors 6502a

Happy with my 2011 Mac Mini (with AMD graphics) and I haven't even upgraded it yet to 16GB Ram and SSDs. I figure it will be many years before I need to update.

14. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Yes I had to buy a new one as mine was on it's last legs. I had to go up a model to get the 8 gigs of memory. for the price I could have put in 16 I bet. At least I could put my SSD in a external case and boot from that.

15. Osty macrumors 6502a

I keep forgetting I can do that. A good option for those of us who aren't game to crack the mini open and risk breaking those little leads but who have Thunderbolt :)

16. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

Exactly what I do with my Mac Mini (late 2014). 8GB of ram and an external Samsung EVO 850 in an Anker 2.5' USB 3.0 enclosure for the OS drive from day 1 when I got it in the mail. This is my first mini but runs as fast as my Macbook Air. Pretty happy with it. Dual monitors via thunderbolt/display ports. Now just need decent GPU so I can give up my old gaming PC. :p Mini plays WoW and Starcraft 2 better than I thought but still nowhere near a dedicated gpu.

17. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

We won't like the Mini 2016 redesign. Mini in an Apple TV box is my thought.

18. amyhughes macrumors newbie

Depends on what a quad-core, 16GB, 1+TB SSD, Iris Pro mini will cost. In 2016 those are my minimum specs, and if Apple can't deliver that in a headless Mac at a non-confiscatory price, then I'll switch to a PC. Again. I'm a habitual platform switcher.

19. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

I just took a look in the refurbished Mini section. They're sold out right now of all models including the neutered 1.4ghz model. There is obviously a market for even the crappy versions. Impressed.

20. MacFanBoi macrumors regular

I don't find the 1.4ghz 4gb ram model slow at all once I put the ssd drive in. With the stock hdd yeah it's crap but with the ssd in its a great machine.

21. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

im looking for a 2012 2.6, love the fact is so upgradable.

Apart from all our complaining, I think apple is doing quite well selling Mac minis. I don't see apple giving us minis in the future with grunt like the 2012, those 2012 models upgraded May last years and years....

22. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

If Apple upgrades the mac mini, I'd like to pick up a refreshed one. But I would never pay anything over 1/10 of retail for a 2014 one at this point... lol

23. EnesM macrumors 6502

EnesM

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Some people are not happy with soldered RAM, I couldn't be bothered.

What I am most concerned about is new core technologies, especially I/O connections. Those include HDMI 2.0a, TB3, USB 3.1. Then there is the new HEVC codec, I'd like Mini's internals to be able to hardware decode it. Skylake supposedly does but not fully and there have been mixed results with 4K HEVC playback in new iMacs.

GPU and CPU performance in general is always going to be slightly improved with each new generation/model, but I consider those mentioned above as absolutely necessary if you intend to use the device for more than 2 years. I've bought my Retina Macbook when USB 3.0 was included (and retina display for that matter), and 3 years later I couldn't be happier, I feel no need to replace it whatsoever.

So that's what I'm aiming for when looking at new Mac Minis. Sure, I'd love Iris Pro, but HDMI 2.0a and hardware HEVC support is much more important to me...

24. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Currently happy with my 2012 quad i7, but my 2006 Core Duo could do with an update (well, when it stops functioning as my iTunes server)

25. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Dunno why the whinging and snide comments about base model Mac Mini. While it usually idles along at a cool, efficient 1.4 GHz, it can crank up to a respectable 2.7 GHz for a bit, should it be called upon to do so. The standard HDD may be a bit slow, but it does offer a reasonable 500 GB of storage. It is adequate for the needs of many average folks, even though it does not meet the desire of the average geek.

Want more performance? It can be ordered with up to 16 GB of RAM, and TB HDD plus 125 GB SSD configured as Fusion Drive. Then there is the DIY SSD option (below) if you are inclined to meddle.

Want still more performance? There are another couple of higher specced standard configurations, and and various made to order options.