Who is eligible for free iWork?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by monolithic, Nov 23, 2013.

1. monolithic macrumors member

I bought my Macbook with Snow leopard. I didn't purchase iWork then, just had the 30 day trial version which expired and I never renewed it. Continued the same was when I upgraded to OS X Lion. So, when I installed Mavericks, I was also able to download Keynote, pages and numbers for free. But my friends who purchased macs with Mountain lion are asked to pay in the App store.

So, how does this work?

2. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

If you had a previous version (trials count) then you were able to download the new iWork. You could even have had a pirated copy and it would have updated you to the new version.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Also, you get it if you buy a new Mac, I believe.

4. gpeden macrumors regular

Not me - I had iWork 2008 and had to pay, according to Canadian Apple store.

2009, yes - 2008, no.

I'd hate/love to hear that this is not so:)

Glen

5. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I haven't got it yet but I also haven't upgraded to Mavericks on my 2010 white MacBook yet, still running Lion. I think that makes a difference.

I did get the apps on my new 5S and then installed them on my 1st generation Mini.

6. carboncocoa macrumors member

carboncocoa

I have iWork ’09 from a DVD installation, but I'm also still running Mountain Lion. Has anyone running Mountain Lion (who has not purchased iWork from the Mac App Store) been able to download the new versions of iWork for free?

I will of course be keeping iWork ’09 as my main productivity suite until Apple makes the new iWork more full-featured — and I recommend the same for all but the most basic of users. I just want to become familiar with the new UI.

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

The new version requires mavericks.

You can simulate becoming familiar with the new UI by ramming your head into a brick wall. Same experience.

8. carboncocoa macrumors member

carboncocoa

Ah, that explains why they're not showing up in the Mac App Store as free upgrades. Oddly though, they show up as paid upgrades.

And thanks for the head-to-brick wall tip. I'll try that soon. Is that with or without a helmet? How much ram do I need?

9. hafr macrumors 68030

Two rams should be enough. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sA1c1WErUk