Who is excited about Assassin's Creed II?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Not me, honestly... The first one looked really pretty, and it was fun at first, but the simple repetitive gameplay mechanics and the wasted potential really killed it for me.

- Ride to the city, s l o w l y (cause everyone knows fast horse riders are assassins!)
    - Do three "investigating" tasks, which are the same over and over again
    - Realize the "investigating" and "gathering intelligence on your target" is completely pointless and irrelevant, cause you just get a big fat X on the map after all
    - Go to X, kill dude, listen to him cry, have doubts, get chased by guards
    - Rinse, repeat, cry about the awesome game it could have been

It landed on Ebay the day I beat it.

Now is there any indication that the sequel will be significantly better? So far I have seen daytime change, different weapons/combat....and what else, really? Any reason to believe the gameplay mechanics will not be as simple and transparent, that the investigating part will actually make a difference, that the intel you gather will be relevant, that you can sneak to and from your target without scipted guard chases and actually develop some sort of strategy to kill your target? And having ten different task types instead of five will NOT do it for me, if they are still irrelevant and pointless, just obstacles to obtaining that X on the map.

I really loved the idea of AC before it came out, but I have serious doubts it will ever be the game I wanted it to be. :(

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

They seem to be keeping a lot of info about AC2 very close to their chest.

As long as they improve on all the things from the first and add more variety to the missions they will undoubtably have a hit on their hands.

The renaissance setting seems a little bit more interesting than the first anyway. Imagine getting your hands on some of Da Vinci's inventions ;) Could be fun.

Oh and they should drop the future crap unless they make it part of the gameplay mechanic proper (some actual levels in the future rather than 1 bleeding room)

3. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

I am! Heh, just because it takes place 1-hour away from where I live. :)

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I am. I liked the first one but the lack of trophy support made it poor game IMO.

All games suffers from same kinda missions problem. GTA IV is a masterpiece but basically, all missions are like drive from place A to place B and kill the guy(s). All games are same. CoD4 multi is the same all the time but it's so god anyway, played it over 20 days

5. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

I thought the first one was kind of dull... But I loved the story line.

Needless to say, I cant wait!

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The first AssCreed was trash but I'm hoping they actually put more in this one and mix it up a bit.

Bless

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I liked it, but that said I seem to have the opposite opinions to many when it comes to games :p. I didn't care much for the story but I enjoyed this vast world and really enjoyed the gameplay.
    Not looking forward to the sequel as much. It seems that in their quest to make it better they've added in more scripted cutscenes and such - and I really don't like that kind of stuff. I don't understand why they have unlockables for the PS3 version through playing the PSP one.

8. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

9. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I hope they simplify AC2, so that it will practically play itself. UbiSoft has gotten good at this, because gaming shouldn't be hard. :eek:

10. pcypert macrumors 6502

I actually loved the first one, but thought there were areas they could tighten and develop more (like should have been able to pay off the beggars and get them out of your way)...seems they're doing some of this in this installment. Can't wait. Will get it on launch.

Paul

11. asphyxiafeeling macrumors regular

asphyxiafeeling

Assassin's Creed felt like a rushed, unfinished, unprofessional game.

Poor dialogue (TERRIBLE), questionable acting, half-assed cutscenes (that you can't skip. at all), repetitive gameplay / progression... it goes on and on.

All of that being said, it was still a pretty fun sandbox game. Just a far cry of what everybody thought it could have been. 6/10 TOPS.

I'm curious about AC2 but i probably won't bother with it unless it's better received then AC was.

12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Sorta, but it's all about Ubi's OTHER franchise: Splinter Cell. Looks hot as ****.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Splinter cell doesn't look that good as well(gameplay wise)...it looks like they simplified the sneaking and about to hold our hands through the whole game. I like Splinter Cell Trial and Error gameplay...focused on stealth.

Hopefully I'm wrong though..:)

Bless