Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
For me, I would not spend $2,400 for the iPad and $300 for a magic keyboard. That takes the total cost to $2,700 for an iPad. I could get a 13 inch MacBook Pro, equipped with 16gb, 2TB, and M1 processor for $2,300.

Others obviously have differing needs and wants, but for that kind of money, I would get the MacBook.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
$3,200 where I live, so I'll get the 256GB instead, or maybe 512GB. Currently have the 1TB 2018 version with 6GB ram but I haven't felt any advantage over the 4GB ones, so I'll skip the 1 and 2TB options this year that come with 16GB instead of 8GB ram

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyiPad95

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
1TB will be more popular

Because of the RAM? I doubt this. I think the sweet spot is the 256GB. For $100 more than the 1TB you can get the MacBook Pro with the same specs, better cooling, sure not as good of a display but you get a keyboard and larger built-in trackpad included as well as active cooling. Or you can get the MacBook Air for $150 less than the iPad.

Reactions: Precursor

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Because of the RAM? I doubt this. I think the sweet spot is the 256GB. For $100 more than the 1TB you can get the MacBook Pro with the same specs, better cooling, sure not as good of a display but you get a keyboard and larger built-in trackpad included as well as active cooling. Or you can get the MacBook Air for $150 less than the iPad.

That's only if the physical keyboard is a feature one wants. Personally, clamshell form factor is a con for me. I bought the M1 MBA last year and I haven't actually used it since January, iirc.

On the iPad, 1TB is good enough for me.

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US

Except if you require the iPad form-factor for some of your use-case. It's not as obvious or frequent, but see mine below.

...On the iPad, 1TB is good enough for me.
Yeah, I'm thinking along a similar line. The App store is more and more filled with subscription junk that I just won't buy, so I'm thinking that there's just less and less need for me to load up my iPP with a bunch of apps, hence I'll need less memory.

So 1TB or maybe even the 512 GB would be good enough for me. I'd save as much as a thousand dollars, which would basically allow me to buy an Avid Dock for free.

The remaining question is, does the new 12" iPad fit the Avid Dock, or does the user have to mount the iPad in portrait orientation in the Dock?

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
That's only if the physical keyboard is a feature one wants. Personally, clamshell form factor is a con for me. I bought the M1 MBA last year and I haven't actually used it since January, iirc.
I'm curious... could you explain that a bit. Is due to the fact you are favor touch-first device over keyboard and mouse input?

Most would favor a M1 MBA over an iPad... well, before this latest announcement.

Etienooo

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2019
I hate how Apple pricing works on the high-end model.
1TB used to be $200 more expensive than 512Gb. On the 2018 model this got you 2Go RAM for free.
Now 1TB is $400 more expensive than 215Gb. So you’re basically paying $200 for the storage and $200 for the additional 8GB memory.

It’s fine if you want both but people who just wanted 1TB but have no need for 16Go are now forced to pay $200 more for it. Same for people who just wanted RAM but don’t want 1TB storage.

On the 2018 model the 6GB RAM being exclusive to the 1TB model was kinda ok because it wasn’t a major difference. But here this is so anti-consumer. Do you imagine if on a Mac you were forced to pay 1TB SSD for $400 just to be allowed to pay $200 for 8GB RAM?

They are literally forcing us to pay the overpriced storage to be allowed to buy the overpriced memory (or the opposite depending on your needs).

Reactions: Precursor

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
1TB used to be $200 more expensive than 512Gb. On the 2018 model this got you 2Go RAM for free.
Now 1TB is $400 more expensive than 215Gb. So you’re basically paying $200 for the storage and $200 for the additional 8GB memory.

It’s fine if you want both but people who just wanted 1TB but have no need for 16Go are now forced to pay $200 more for it. Same for people who just wanted RAM but don’t want 1TB storage.

On the 2018 model the 6GB RAM being exclusive to the 1TB model was kinda ok because it wasn’t a major difference. But here this is so anti-consumer. Do you imagine if on a Mac you were forced to pay 1TB SSD for $400 just to be allowed to pay $200 for 8GB RAM?

They are literally forcing us to pay the overpriced storage to be allowed to buy the overpriced memory (or the opposite depending on your needs).
That's what some Windows PC manufacturers, starting from Microsoft, have been doing for many years...
I agree it's not nice not to be able to pick an choose, but in this case I think the pricing is fair and reasonable for what you get, I expected more, and I think it would be more complex and expensive to have multiple options with RAM and storage, so in the end I think it's a pretty decent compromise

Reactions: Etienooo

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm curious... could you explain that a bit. Is due to the fact you are favor touch-first device over keyboard and mouse input?

Most would favor a M1 MBA over an iPad... well, before this latest announcement.

Yep, I prefer pure tablet form factor for lounging around. I use the iPad primarily for reading so I don't really need a separate keyboard/mouse for that.

For work, I use a Windows desktop. The iPad actually fits better there, too, as a 3rd screen. It's small enough so it doesn't block my monitors and I can dock it on and use it with the same keyboard I use for my desktop. No extraneous, non-removable keyboard taking up precious space on the work desk.

A lot of my family don't have personal laptops, either. Work provides a computer and there's usually a shared desktop in the house but for couch/bed use, the preference is iPad with touch input only.

The younger generations just use their phones. Probably due to better eyesight. :p

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

That's actually not true. Upon launch, the 2018 1TB models cost $400 more than 512GB. That's one of the reasons I skipped that year. I wanted 1TB but I just couldn't stomach the $1899+tax price for 12.9 1TB LTE. The 2018 pricing is what has me somewhat blasé with regards to the $1999 for 12.9 1TB 5G now particularly since at least they're giving double/8GB more RAM than a measly 2GB.

Apple dropped the difference for 512G/1T to $200 around a year or so later and there was another $50 drop with the 2020 Pro.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

I also prefer a keyboard I can detach for when I just want a tablet form factor.

One of the use cases for my ipad.
40696cb5d28045d183917eace94798ee.jpg

I know I can do the same with a phone, but if I am going to be editing it in LumaFusion afterwards and uploading directly to YouTube, may as well just record directly on my ipad and save myself a step.

Reactions: RevTEG and max2

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
For me, I would not spend $2,400 for the iPad and $300 for a magic keyboard. That takes the total cost to $2,700 for an iPad. I could get a 13 inch MacBook Pro, equipped with 16gb, 2TB, and M1 processor for $2,300.

Others obviously have differing needs and wants, but for that kind of money, I would get the MacBook.

But the MBP has a worse screen, worse camera, no pencil, no touch screen, worse speakers, smaller battery and no 5G. Especially the display is a big difference (basically the same display as their $6000 display)

Now OS X is better than iOS ofcourse. But hardware wise, I would go for the iPad Pro.

terryw1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2018
phoenix
Don’t know that it will be maxed out. But going with 1tb. Currently have 512 which I am always running out of space. Even with the use of iCloud. Make a movie a month, so the extra space will be appreciated.

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Probably will get one....but, since i dont care about the OS (being ipados and not macos or whatever) but more about what apps i can access, i will wait until June WWDC and decide then
If we get finalcutpro, xcode and all others stuff....the OS becomes almost irrelevant for me, the apps are more important than the operating system
I mean, Apple never jump so hard on RAM with the ipads...we just got the 6gb ram on the latest ipad pro for all storages and now, another jump for all to 8gb ram and for the 1/2T you get 16gb ram?! it must means something
And at WWDC i bet we can have the answer...it will be either the Apple apps are coming to ipadOS...or they will let macOS for dual boot on arm architecture ...or...but small chances, nothing will happen , but i hope not
So, WWDC becomes even more exiting for a lot of us

Reactions: RevTEG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.