Who is going to wait a while before installing S.L.?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lavrishevo, Aug 28, 2009.

?

Going to wait for at lease one major update to S.L

1. Yes

29.3%
  2. No

70.7%
  1. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I just have to many important apps and website management projects for certain applications not to work in totality or random bugs slow me down. Anyone else going to wait a little while for more kinks to be worked out?

2. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Heck, I was going to wait a while before I even went to the Apple Store to look at it.
    I installed the copy I bought today a couple of hours ago. :)
    So far, so good!

3. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

LOL, What changed your mind?

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Honestly, I consider the lack of new "major" features (which we got with Leopard) reason enough not to wait. SL is like a service pack... so I don't expect to run into problems like I normally would with a more major upgrade.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Waiting for the initial issues to work out. Firefox for example.
    I would never install a .0 release.

6. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I just installed it on my laptop since it is just an email/ word/ web machine and it works fine so there was no need to wait but on my iMac I might need to wait until I get CS3 on it b/c I have CS2.

ChrisN

7. celticpride678

8. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

survived 10.5.0 with nary a problem, so as soon as my LATE $29 copy from Apple that should have arrived today (but didn't) finds my doorstep, I will install it.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm waiting for app updates. About half of my apps have known issues with SL, so I'm going to wait for them to be updated. If 10.6.1 is out by then, then so be it.

I have a pre-order in for SL but haven't received it yet.

10. macnfab macrumors regular

macnfab

planning to wait an read about known issues here on the forum before i install:D

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I'm going to wait.

I think I'll make it until Monday...

12. adiophilw/amac macrumors newbie

i will get it but i wont install it untill 6.1 comes out even though i have a backup i just want to avoid problems

13. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I'm most likely gonna install it on an external hard drive. Migrate all my files/settings/applications over slowly and once I'm assured all my programs work with minimal to no bugs, I'll clone it over to the internal drive.

14. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

What Firefox issue is that? The missing font?

I just did the opposite. Made a clone just before upgrading and so far only a couple of issues. Sancho (bittorrent/mldonkey GUI frontent), Calgoo (google calendar/iCal/Outlook calendar sync), and MacMAME aren't working and I need to wait on Canon for new drivers for my MP620 so I can use it over the network rather than USB connected.

15. Yoursh macrumors 6502

I'm currently installing it on my Macbook, but I will hold off installing it on my other Mac's till I can check how well it works with 10.5 server and a few 3rd party apps.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm waiting just because I don't know what all the incompatibility issues are. I run a lot of freebie/open source stuff like HandBrake, MetaX, OpenOffice, and some games from online. I don't know how compatible these things are, so I'm kinda waiting to make sure someone doesn't find out the hard way that HandBrake doesn't work on 10.6. I also can't take advantage of OpenGL since I'm using an ATI Radeon X1600, not that I know why I'd need to, but I'm just kinda waiting to make sure the Titanic doesn't sink.

It sounds like a good update, especially at $29, but there isn't anything killer like Time Machine that makes it an instant must-have. TM saved my dad's data when his motherboard went out, so that feature has already paid off.

17. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I'm definitely waiting........till my delivery of SL on tuesday. :D

18. dryjoy macrumors regular

Yes - sort of

I voted 'Yes', but I must qualify that vote.
    I have to wait until I install on my main system drive, as I have an M-Audio interface for which drivers must be updated. I gather they are usually quite slow to update drivers, so probably by the time they're ready, there will have been at least one SL point update.
    I probably would not have bothered ordering SL yet, except that I realised I qualified for the UTD programme by one day, and looking at the calander, it's already about 80 days since then, so I thought I had better get it before I missed the boat.
    It has arrived this morning, and I have a clone of my system HD on an external FW drive, and now I have SL in my hand, I am too curious not to check it out, so I think I'm gonna try doing an update instalation to my external drive.
    As well as satisfy my curiosity, I figure that it's a good opportunity to check how the update goes - should be fine as the machine was new in June and existing Leopard install should be pretty clean.
    I have a separate time machine backup on another internal HD, so I feel safe about doing this.

19. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Already been running it for 24 hours with zero problems

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk