Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daihard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
I bought GPush for 99 cents today. GPush is supposed to use the push notification service to let you know whenever you get new mail on your Gmail account.

Well, it worked for the first few mail messages I received before it started acting up. I exchanged mail with their support rep, who I must admit has been responsive. According to him, they have discovered a few new bugs and the engineers are working to fix them. (Yeah, sounds like the standard response.)

The interesting thing is, they say that some customers are having problems while GPush is working for others. I am wondering if it's really the case. Is GPush working well for any of you out here who's using it?

TIA!

Barcode

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
GPush isn't even working for me. Purchased it this morning and it worked once and now it is completely unresponsive. :(
I get it to authenticate but it does not push any emails through. I ever restarted and made sure notifications were enabled. :( I want this to work!

daihard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
GPush isn't even working for me. Purchased it this morning and it worked once and now it is completely unresponsive. :(
I get it to authenticate but it does not push any emails through. I ever restarted and made sure notifications were enabled. :( I want this to work!

So do I. Sure, $1 may not be much, but I'd expect a paid app to work better, or at least to work! :(

wilderness1957

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
They have no suggestions there. All they've got is tons of negative reviews coming from people like me, who was excited about the app, downloaded it right away, and got mighty disappointed to find that it did not work. I added my own not-so-positive review there.

Fair enough... I just figured they would have had better results for you... guess not....

I too would be pissed. I bought ibcnu (an APRS Ap) and it didn't work and a lot of people reported it not working. I sent an email to Apple and they refunded my money.

its sad that they let bad ap's thru but some of the decent ones are hung up in "Review"

jarjarblinks

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2008
It's not working for me too.

It's been around 2 hours and 4 emails since - not a single notification.

My main concern in purchasing this app was for battery life since there is not more "Fetch" every 15 minutes. Their twitter feed apparently states that there emails are being pushed though, less "some bugs".

muledogus

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2009
Mine was one that worked at first and then stopped. I go into the app every once in a while to see what's up. Last night it actually popped up a message that my credentials were refused by GMail but after a few attempts I got it to accept but still didn't recieve notifications. They suggest rebooting your phone and changing your password. I'm not about to change my password on my computer, my phone and my google voice apps just to get their app working. Just fix it!

jarjarblinks

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2008
And the silliest thing is actually the advertised promo price of .99 before it reverts to 1.99!

The nerve of that!

Haha but I'm sure it will be sorted out soon. Just sitting back and drumming my fingers in the time being.

CDutch

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2009
I downloaded it yesterday afternoon and it was working for me initially but quick functioning soon thereafter. Quite annoying.

derek13

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
Our company is working on a similar app. It will actually work unlike GPush. However, it will be pricier than $0.99 because maintaining the servers to support the system reliably is expensive.

I will try to release some alpha-version screenshots to you guys soon :)

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I think the only way i would buy a Gmail push app would be if it opened the mail app upon click on the push app.

e.m.

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
San Francisco
I was super excited for this app as well ever since I found about it. Waited patiently, and bought it right away when it was finally released.

I am having better luck than most of you here, but that's not saying much. I get push notifications randomly. Maybe about 10 to 20% of the time. Very disappointed so far.

On their site, they claim they're working on a fix. We shall see...

jarjarblinks

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2008
It's up!

2 hours, 5 notifications since.

What I like about the app is that after I read the email, the little number by the side of the app disappears. It's unobtrusive and I like it's streamlined interface.

Jayden0606

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
Bergen County, NJ
Quick Tip: After setting GPush with your Gmail account for the first time, do not go back into the app... issues start to arise when you do.

That's probably why I never had issues with it... I put it to the last screen and forgot about it.

I also heard the same somewhere else from one of the devs I believe.

johnnyxhuynh

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2006
Houston, TX, USA
Get PushMail, its 2.99 and it works wonderfully!

I concur! I just downloaded it moments ago, and it has been working very well for me. However, because GPush has the badge notifications, I may revert back to it once the issues have been resolved! Another note, I like the fact that PushMail has a unique sound notification. GPush uses the same sound alert as SMS.

johnnyxhuynh

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2006
Houston, TX, USA
I don't think the app's very first screen should be so sensitive. What is the deal with "Don't open the app after you've entered your credentials"? At the very least, there should be three "tabs" at the bottom of the app, with the first being a welcome/splash screen with brief instructions or something. That would eliminate this nonsense of never opening the app again, or risk interrupting the authentication process.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
It works really fast for me. While testing, it seems to push faster than MobileMe.

jarjarblinks

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2008
It works really fast for me. While testing, it seems to push faster than MobileMe.

3-5 seconds constantly over 10 test emails.

I'll be noticing the increment of battery life over the next couple of days after deactivating Fetch completely. If the app stays up it'ld just have managed to pull out a dual purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.