Who is ready to buy a new intel ibook tuesday?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ieani, Feb 23, 2006.

  1. ieani macrumors 6502a


    Jan 3, 2006
    the states for now
    If it has a core duo Ill be on apple's store that day. If not, then I might have to think about it. If they are finally announced it would be a huge relief to finally have made the decision on my first mac.
  2. Mal macrumors 603


    Jan 6, 2002
    I doubt it's coming, but if it does, I will be giving it serious thought. I need a new laptop, since mine is passed down from my abusive father (not to us or any people, just his electronics... but we all know that's just as bad). It's rather badly beaten, and needs to simply go rest for, well, the rest of it's short life.

    In other words, yes, I might buy one. I don't even care if it's a Duo, though that'd be nice. I just want it to be cheap (cheaper than current would be awesome, same price with a slightly better Edu discount would be good though).

  3. brikeh macrumors 6502a


    Jan 24, 2006
    Yeah I´ll buy one, if they dont announce one I might go for the 12 in pb tho.
  4. asherman13 macrumors 6502a


    Jul 31, 2005
    SF Bay Area, CA
    If it has iSight and Front Row, then I'll seriously consider it over a MacBook Pro. Also, it depends when they ship. The earlier the better.
  5. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

    Jul 18, 2002
    Like many others, I am only interested if it has Duo (the ones not used in the MBPs most likely)...otherwise, I can't see it as a "must have" computer.
  6. generik macrumors 601


    Aug 5, 2005
    Sadly I think it is probably going to be a solo, I can't imagine Apple putting a duo in the iBook, sorry :eek:
  7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Apple release an Intel-based consumer laptop, therefore I buy. :cool:

    The specs and price don't bother me, they'll suffice. Hopefully everyone else has been slurping their Cool Aid™.
  8. nosser macrumors regular


    Jan 25, 2005
    Orange County California
    I already have my intel imac so I dont really care if it's a duo or solo I will end up getting it when it comes out. I'm replacing my pb with a imac/ ibook(macbook) combo instead of the mbp, and since I have an imac I just want it to be cheap and maybe an isight. I really just want the portability for internet, music and dvds.
  9. TBi macrumors 68030


    Jul 26, 2005
    I sold my iBook and now i'm waiting for whatever apple has to throw at me. Although in the last few weeks i've been looking at those "tabnotes", a laptop which can convert to a tablet. It would be nice to put one in tablet form and sit down on the couch surfing since i do a lot of online reading.

    I'd love a core duo 12-13" laptop. I don't care if it's an iBook or MBP, i just need a replacement.
  10. aswitcher macrumors 603


    Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ

    Good graphics card

    Then I might be seriously tempted.
  11. Spies macrumors regular

    Feb 21, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Is the new iBook going to be made from polycarbonate again? What would you rather see it made from?
  12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus


    Jul 24, 2002
    Well as the owner of a MBP I'll obviously not be buying an iBook as well! It'll be interesting to see the way this goes.

    Same form factor or are we going to finally see a widescreen iBook?
    Solo or Duo (or both? They could offer a 1.67Ghz Solo at the low end with a 1.67Ghz Duo as an upgrade option)
    FrontRow? Almost certainly.
    iSite? Well the iMac has one so quite possibly.
    RAM? Probably 512Mb sodered to the logic board with a single slot for expansion...

    Edit to add: Graphics! How could I forget. Something less than an X1600? Say an X1300? 64Mb with a 128Mb option perhaps?
  13. clayyea macrumors member

    Feb 18, 2006
  14. brikeh macrumors 6502a


    Jan 24, 2006

    64mb vram is just way to stingy. Id like to see at least 128, no more 1024x768 res either for that matter...thats just disgusting. Hopefully whatever they announce will actually be shipping in march. If they dont introduce a new ibook/macbook Im picking up a 12 in pb.

    Edit: Yes I know the pb is 1024...but it has dvi.
  15. Spies macrumors regular

    Feb 21, 2006
    United Kingdom
    I think there will still be one with a 4:3 screen.
  16. Whiteapple macrumors regular


    Jan 17, 2006
    Haute Savoie,France
    Who is ready for buying some new flavored iPod socks next tuesday?:p
  17. Whiteapple macrumors regular


    Jan 17, 2006
    Haute Savoie,France
    Exactly!! You got it!
    Nevertheless, I have doubts on the screen....
    13.3" 16:9 --> yes please!
  18. FireArse macrumors 6502a

    Oct 29, 2004

    Here's a question. iBooks have the 1.42GHz G4. Single core PPC. If they put a single core 1.67 (or possibly slower) is there a chance the 1.42GHz G4 will be just as powerful? Therefore - will the new iBook be a power upgrade?

    This is why I think they'll put a slower Core Duo. Everything is multi-core multi processor aware now. It needs to be. It's not unforseeable that these iBooks and possibly Intel Mac Mini's will need to decode H.264 at standard resolution (possibly HD for Mac Mini). Apple - get working on offloading H.264 decoding to the GPU ASAP!!

    Core Duo Intel - else I'll bag a 12inch PPC iBook when the Intel's come out.

  19. Chundles macrumors G4


    Jul 4, 2005
    Most likely 16:10. All of Apple's displays are 16:10 so that editors can display 16:9 video with room for palettes etc.

    I'd like to see a 13.3" widescreen with a resolution of around 1280x800, it would fit nicely under the 1440x900 screen on the 15.4" MacBook Pro and the 1600x1050 of the 17" MacBook Pro (when that arrives - who knows, could be HD? A 1920x1200 MacBook Pro anyone?)

    Of course when Leopard bring resolution independence with it, all laptops could go HD. I'd snap up a 13.3" 1920x1200 MacBook Pro with res. independent UI - imagine just how crystal clear everything would look!!

    I could leave the regular UI as is but with nearly twice the pixels representing it - photo quality text anyone - but still have the real estate available for Photoshop and native portrayal of HD films. It would be breathtaking....
  20. Cedd macrumors member

    Feb 15, 2006
    Nr London, UK
    I have a 0% credit card ready and waiting!

    However whether I go for an ibook/macbook has to depend on the specs and the form factor. If it is underpowered or just looks too toy-like then I may have to take the leap and go MBP.

    However I can't help worrying that Tuesday may be an ipod event leaving me counting the days yet again!

Share This Page