Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfsnyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
And how's it holding up?

Moi:
17" Flat panel Studio Display (2001)
Power Mac G5 (PowerPC G5 (3.0), 1.8 GHz, CPUs:1,Memory:3 GB (2005)
OS 10.5.7 (2009)
Adobe CS2, iView (couple a years back ...)

Can't use Aperture (GeForce FX 5200 graphics card not powerful enough).
Can't work with Canon 50D RAW files in iView (never upgraded iView to Expression Media)

Anybody else out there still getting by?:)

awmazz

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2007
There are quite a few people here actually still running AGP or Quicksilver G4s.

Two working G4 MDDs for me, both with 23" ADC HD Displays. One is used solely for EyeTV, and the other is for legacy OS 9. I had a third one until a few weeks ago for Mail, iCal and other 'admin' stuff which I don't want on my main Mac Pro, but swapped it for a Mac Mini instead because of the fan noise. If not for the fan noise, it was perfectly functional with 10.5.7 and I'd still be using it.

Like others as well, I have working older systems, but they're not actually useful for anything except nostalgia and packed away.

Can't work with Canon 50D RAW files in iView (never upgraded iView to Expression Media)

iView MediaPro 3.1.3 can handle my RAW Nikon files.

I upgraded to Expressions, and removed it five seconds after opening it. Count yourself lucky your retinas weren't damaged by the ugly Windows-style icons and interface suddenly appearing on your Mac. ;)

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Umm... I have a PowerMac 7500 with a PPC 904 processor upgrade card taken from a dead 9500 that I use as a print server. It's running MacOS 8.6 on it's tiny 3.2Gb Quantium HD (SCSI II), cause OS9 makes the machine runs tooooo sluggishly:rolleyes:. I think there's about 320Mb (not Gb) of speedy ram in there. All hooked up to one of those Radius 21" CRT Displays, powered by an Formac ProPerformance - remember those?

Bootup time's about 2mins. Haha!! :D

Does that count?

dryjoy

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
G4

Until about a week ago, I was still rockin' (literally, as I used it for Audio recording with Logic) a 400 MHz Sawtooth G4 running OS 9.1! It is holding up very well, but has now been replaced with a new Nehalem Quad Mac Pro, which does offer, shall we say, a significant performance boost!
It's funny though, I almost felt guilty packing the G4 down, and consigning it to the corner of the room. It's given me 9 years of totally trouble free service. I might try and update the OS with an early flavour of OS X, if I can find one for cheap, and put the machine on freecycle. Somebody might get some more mileage out of it, if it's given away for free.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
While the MacPro was down due to graphics card failure, my PowerMac G5 worked just fine running PS CS3.

mfsnyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
iView MediaPro 3.1.3 can handle my RAW Nikon files.

I upgraded to Expressions, and removed it five seconds after opening it. Count yourself lucky your retinas weren't damaged by the ugly Windows-style icons and interface suddenly appearing on your Mac. ;)

Actually, what I wrote was not clear- iView can handle my Canon RAW files- its Photoshop CS2 that can't open my 50D Raw Files (can open the old 20D files though).

And I never upgraded to Expressions from iView for the same reason as you, I didn't want some Microsoft version of a program that was fine to start with. (oh and I missed the free upgrade deadline!)

mfsnyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Umm... I have a PowerMac 7500 with a PPC 904 processor upgrade card taken from a dead 9500 that I use as a print server. It's running MacOS 8.6 on it's tiny 3.2Gb Quantium HD (SCSI II), cause OS9 makes the machine runs tooooo sluggishly:rolleyes:. I think there's about 320Mb (not Gb) of speedy ram in there. All hooked up to one of those Radius 21" CRT Displays, powered by an Formac ProPerformance - remember those?

Bootup time's about 2mins. Haha!! :D

Does that count?

That counts and its awesome! Reduce, reuse, recycle!

iSaygoodbye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
a boat
i have a g5 too.

dual 2 ghz
2 gb of ram
150 gb drive
19"samsung something

runs fine.i dont do anything heavy though.safari,ichat,itunes,transmission,visual hub,photoshop(hopefully soon)

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
I have a 9500/132 in the closet that I intend to get running again...

Has a NewerTech G3 400MHz upgrade card
maybe 192MB ram... maybe.
4GB SCSI hard drive

I think I just need a video card

I'll put OS9 and whatever Adobe Apps I still have from the era... should be fun.ny.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
G4 MDD 1,42 Dual

And how's it holding up?

Moi:
17" Flat panel Studio Display (2001)
Power Mac G5 (PowerPC G5 (3.0), 1.8 GHz, CPUs:1,Memory:3 GB (2005)
OS 10.5.7 (2009)
Adobe CS2, iView (couple a years back ...)

Can't use Aperture (GeForce FX 5200 graphics card not powerful enough).

Anybody else out there still getting by?:)

I am still rockin' on my G4 MDD 1,42 Dual. It has been tuned to the max with every option I know of. Recently I have run out of upgrade options. Leopard works really perfect on this baby as well as all the old "G5 era games" like Doom 3 and Quake 4 and of course apps like CS2. Couldn't wish for more.
Next month my G4 is getting a new brother, a brand new Mac Book Pro 17' with all the "bells and whistles."
The next G4 'task project' will be to put a Leopard Server license on it and to run it as Small Business Server with an internet data sharing platform. However this Leopard Server option is still in the works, because I may go for Linux on the G4, since it works so well on my xbox1.
:apple:

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
Does anyone still use their older mac daily though?

I've been using my 1Ghz eMac ATI Graphics (32MB's is all you need, yay!) almost everyday for the last five years. Despite the loud fan, it still works fine. However it is being retired this week when I get my new MBP, but I will still use it occasionally.
I also boot into Tiger occasionally and play the original Oregon Trail from the late '90's.

300D

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2009
Tulsa
My Mac Classic lives on as a clock. The HD is disabled (for sound and heat reasons), its booting off the internal ROM image (Command+Option+X+O) and using programs from the floppy.

Its been running solid for the last 4 years with only interruptions for changing daylight savings time.

attachment.php

I also have my 450MHz G4 (upgraded to 600MHz) running as a headless torrent box, a 233mhz beige desktop G3 hidden away as an emergency backup (In case a surge fries the others).

Attachments

• LMNMacClassicClockP6210003.jpg
    LMNMacClassicClockP6210003.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 305

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Still running a 1.42 GHz eMac w/ 512 MB of RAM as my main machine. I don't plan to replace it, ever, because it's probably going to stay at home when I go to college. And it'll probably stay there forever. :p

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
I was running filemaker 4 on an iMac G3 with tiger until a couple of months ago. After some problems with my LaserWriter that was connected to it I upgraded to a second hand filemaker 8.5. The conversion of my databases was really simple so now I'm printing on a simple Epson printer and I do o longer use classic.

redking31591

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I still use my trusty iMac G3 that I got for christmas. After a quick RAM upgrade(it had 64mb!!!!) and the jump from panther to tiger, it use it quite frequently just to surf the web when I want to. My mom also uses it when my brother is hogging our main computer. Only complaint is the heat it puts off.

Cuda

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
My Mac Classic lives on as a clock. The HD is disabled (for sound and heat reasons), its booting off the internal ROM image (Command+Option+X+O) and using programs from the floppy.

Its been running solid for the last 4 years with only interruptions for changing daylight savings time.

attachment.php

I also have my 450MHz G4 (upgraded to 600MHz) running as a headless torrent box, a 233mhz beige desktop G3 hidden away as an emergency backup (In case a surge fries the others).

I think your Classic trumps my LCIII( 128MB Ram, Clock chipped to 66mhz, running Mac OS 8.1(Hacked) on a OEM Apple IBM 160MB SCSI drive, with two external 8 GB 9600RPM Seagate barracuda's Drives(16GB Raid FBW HD TOOLKIT), and a Sony SCSI CD Burner, Toast 4 with Jam, 68k Mp3 Extension.

And Linux.

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Does anyone still use their older mac daily though?

lolz, yeah, not a chance... it'd be curiosity only... I have a hard time going backwards with computers... I used to used it every day, and thought the move from the 132MHz 604e to the 400MHz G3 was rather shocking at the time... lolz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.