Who is still considering iPad 2 ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dr. McKay, Feb 29, 2012.

?

iPad 2 still a viable option ?

1. Yes, I'll take the iPad 2 at a lower price...

22 vote(s)
    28.9%
  2. No way, I want the latest and greatest. iPad 3 it is !

54 vote(s)
    71.1%
  1. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

With all the noise surrounding iPad 3, it seems as if iPad 2 is gone and forgotten.

I haven't got an iPad yet, but if iPad 2 stays around at a lower price point, I'll probably go for that. My iMac is an early 2008 model and it still handles everything I throw at it, so I have no need for the latest and greatest.

Do you feel the same way ?

2. bjmach macrumors 6502

After this upgrade I feel I will be in the same mindset. Upgrading to Ipad 3 for Retina display after that I will move to a 2-3 yr cycle of upgrading. I feel Retina Display is the last piece thats needed to make it perfect

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I gave mine to a buddy, am awaiting the 3 with some excitement and anticipation, but if the 2 is discounted, it would be a good way in for a lot of people.

The 2 is still a very useable device.

4. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I ... Want ... Retina ...

iPad 2 goes inside the family to the next one ... Still a good tool

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Soon, very soon...:)

6. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

If the iPad 3 were a spec bump with the same screen, I would have wanted to keep my iPad 2. I took a gamble and sold it about a month ago so I could buy the iPad 3, figuring this would have to be the one with the retina display. Luckily, all evidence is pointing to the iPad 3 being exactly what everyone is hoping.

That being said, I can't see buying the next one. I don't know what else they could do to it other than a minor design change and a processor/ram bump. I would like to get on a 2 year upgrade cycle with iPad like I have done with my iPhone. It's just that a 9.7" retina display is too good to pass up. When I first saw an iPhone 4 in person, the screen absolutely blew me away. I was sold instantly, based on the screen quality alone. I am thinking that seeing this new retina display on the iPad 3 is going to be a similar shock to the system for me. Also, since I am having major iPad withdrawal right now from not having one for weeks, it will be all that much better.

7. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Me too. Retina & quad core will give this a 2-3yr lifespan for me. I would only really upgrade for extra capacity which should be an option by then.

Its like the iPhone 4S in no way compells me to buy it. iPhone 5 will also have a touch job. iPhone 6 may be my next phone. Wow, I cant wait to get hold of this device!

8. PerfectDB macrumors regular

I'll be getting the 3, but my Nan is eager to upgrade from her original iPad to the 2, so a price drop would be especially welcome - Lets hope it happens.

9. Delighted macrumors 6502

Delighted

I'm considering. Despite the hype over the latest ad greatest iPad 3 we mustn't forget that the iPad2 is still a very capable machine that still would do most(or all) the ipad3 can.

10. falcora macrumors 6502

yeah, its all about that retina display. its the last piece of the puzzle

11. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

If you're in it for the price drop then it's a smart decision. Keep in mind though that IF Apple were to keep the iPad 2 in production as the cheaper device it will come in the lowest capacity it started selling in. In this case 16GB.

12. Ukeman macrumors member

I'm faced with choosing to either recycle my 2008 3.6 ghz, 4gb ram 24" imac for the next upgrade with big speed...
    Or just upgrade it to 6gb ram and get an iPad for mobility from the mother ship.
    In that sense, I'd probably take a discount on an iPad 2 as I don't know a thing about them other than that i can justify it by making it a part-time mobile work and staff scheduling module, and basically anything else i can think of to do with a carry-around.

13. ipa macrumors newbie

iPad 2 refurbished, after iPad 3 release

I will likely buy a refurb iPad 2 from the Apple Store when the 3 comes out. Currently the standard pricing for a refurb 2 is 16% off new price, so $499 16GB becomes $419. Does anyone have any history to indicate how the iPad refurb price drop may go when the iPad 3 is released? I would guess that if a new iPad 2 16GB is reduced to, say, $399, then the iPad 2 refurb, assuming availability, would be near $325. Any thoughts?

14. ipa macrumors newbie

15. crghwkns macrumors member

I'd consider resisting the urge to upgrade on a yearly basis if it weren't for the silly prices you can get for selling the previous model.

As it is, it's the best 'rental' system ever. Few upgrades are gonna be as essential as the retina display, though.

16. ComputersaysNo macrumors 6502

ComputersaysNo

i most definetly will. I was dumb enough to drop mine beyond repair after six months :eek:

And the Ipad2 was more than enouogh for my work.

17. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

"Still considering"? Seriously?
    The iPad 3 hasn't even been announced yet.

18. Dr. McKay thread starter macrumors 6502a

New report from digitimes :
    An 8gb iPad 2 could be launched together with the iPad3 as a budget option. iPad 3 would only come in 16Gb and 32Gb flavours.

I'd welcome the idea of a cheap(er) iPad 2 but why only 8Gb ?

19. JagsFan829 macrumors member

JagsFan829

I'm considering the iPad 2 possibly. I've only owned the iPhone as far as Apple products go, and I'm looking to expand to something like the iPad! Obviously I'd like to go the "affordable" route with my first purchase, and also so it's budget friendly.

What's the big deal with the retina display on the iPad 3? I'm not too knowledgeable in that type of thing.

20. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

still on the fence. leaning more toward iPad 3. We'll see how it turns out in 6 days.