iPad Who is still rocking the Air 2?

Zaft

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
This has to be the best longativity model. I was tempted by the new 10.2 model but I can’t even get myself to spend money because of how good the Air 2 still performs.

Reactions: SmackBookPro

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2011
Trollhättan, Sweden
Have to agree, its the new iPad 2! Both my kids are still using them hard on iPadOS. Oceanhorn 2 running nicely on them. Then...I run an iPad mini 4 privately, and it is still great, too.

EugW

macrumors 604
Jun 18, 2017
The iPad Air 2 is still doing well and our two kids are using our two Air 2s now.

However, I have to say I don’t think I’d want to use one as my primary iPad in 2019. Don’t get me wrong, as I think it’s still quite decent, but it’s starting to show its age both from the standpoint of SoC performance and RAM, and these days I much prefer having an iPad with full-sized Apple Smart Keyboard support. Plus the extra ~1” actually makes a noticeable difference using Safari desktop mode, which is the default for iPadOS.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
California, United States
The iPad Air 2 is definitely impressive. My parents are still rocking it. However, seeing as how the Air 2 is the oldest iPad model that iPadOS supports, I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple dropped support for it in iPadOS 2(?) next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmackBookPro

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
We are still using two Air2s and are now running IPadOS.
The biggest annoyance is that Apple no longer make the smart covers for them and I am having to fix the old covers with glue once in a while. I have looked for alternatives but nothing compares for simplicity and versatility.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Still using the iPad Air 2! I honestly can‘t believe how well it has held up.

I’m running the latest iPadOS and it has yet to let me down. When you consider that this model was released in 2014, it has to be the best longevity model.

That said, my battery is not the same as it once was and I’m slightly tempted by the Pro’s. l’ll see how long I can keep myself from upgrading.

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
On mine right now. Still holds up well. Only downside is the battery is starting to show its age but for my light reading at night and watching videos , it’s perfect for my needs.

Reactions: Rocko99991

AutomaticApple

macrumors 68020
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
This has to be the best longativity model. I was tempted by the new 10.2 model but I can’t even get myself to spend money because of how good the Air 2 still performs.
One of my friends sold his a few months ago and bought a 6th generation iPad to use with Procreate.

Zaft

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
On mine right now. Still holds up well. Only downside is the battery is starting to show its age but for my light reading at night and watching videos , it’s perfect for my needs.
Yep that’s my only issue, the battery is at 77%. Its like $100 to replace it.
so the battery is the only thing that will eventually force me to upgrade.

Wokis

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
We are still using two Air2s and are now running IPadOS.
The biggest annoyance is that Apple no longer make the smart covers for them and I am having to fix the old covers with glue once in a while. I have looked for alternatives but nothing compares for simplicity and versatility.
Can’t you just slap on any recent iPad 5th-6th gen Smart Cover? Did they really move the magnets around?

edit:https://support.apple.com/en-am/HT204158
Seems any Smart Cover for 9,7” except the Pro should work, however the magnetic lip was a bit thicker on gen 1 iPad Air covers so they fit but in a slightly less elegant manner (according to zollotech on YouTube). Don’t know if they kept the thinner lip anyway for the more recent 5th/6th gen covers. It would make sense if they did for the Air 2’s sake.

Last edited:

muzzy996

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
Wife still has an Air 2 and is satisfied with it.

I’ve been wanting to upgrade her device, battery lifespan is a concern to me. I’m leaning towards a refurbished iPP 10.5 at this point. She absolutely needs cellular version and in terms of value of upgrade, screen quality etc. i’m not sure if stepping from an Air 2 to a current generation standard 10.2 is going to feel like an upgrade for her.

matt_and_187_like_this

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2015
Yes. Performance with iOS 13 could not be better. Battery life still great. Only downside right now is that they dropped sidecar support.

Edit: My smart cover fell apart a couple weeks ago, though...

Mike B in ok

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2015
Oklahoma
I still have mine, but it is “second backup” and only occasionally used. It works fine for the modest demands I put on it, but I can sometimes feel a little slowness compared to my iPad Pro, and as others have mentioned, battery life isn’t good. i Do occasionally use it, mostly when I’ve forgotten to charge another iPad, and it is too useful to sell for the modest price offered for such an old machine that I agree is likely to lose Apple support soon.

EugW

macrumors 604
Jun 18, 2017
The other issue with the iPad Air 2 is it has no hardware HEVC decode support. This can be a problem if you're recording 4K HEVC video with your iPhone for example and try to play it back on the iPad Air 2.

Reactions: Sperious

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Can’t you just slap on any recent iPad 5th-6th gen Smart Cover? Did they really move the magnets around?

edit:https://support.apple.com/en-am/HT204158
Seems any Smart Cover for 9,7” except the Pro should work, however the magnetic lip was a bit thicker on gen 1 iPad Air covers so they fit but in a slightly less elegant manner (according to zollotech on YouTube). Don’t know if they kept the thinner lip anyway for the more recent 5th/6th gen covers. It would make sense if they did for the Air 2’s sake.
Nope - bought one on recommendation at an Apple Store but took it back. The slight design difference means newer covers won't work as a stand in landscape mode for Air 2. That is one of my main uses of the cover.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68020
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I’ve had an Air 2 for years now as my primary iPad, and I’m still in love. I use my iPad primarily as a web browsing and Discord machine in bed, and the Air 2 performs beautifully. I love how thin and light it is, the screen is gorgeous, and it runs the latest iPadOS like a champ! Assuming that my needs don’t change drastically, I can see getting a ton more use out of it.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

Zaft

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I didn’t realize that the 10.2 inch does not have the laminated display and anti reflection coating... so that would actually be a downgrade as far as the screen is concerned.

rmsanger

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2014
Posting from the Air1 right now, currently researching a replacement. Not sure if I want the latest ipad or the pro yet..

Reactions: ripsaw650

EugW

macrumors 604
Jun 18, 2017
I do and it’s still thankfully running iOS 12

I’m keeping it on that as long as possible
There really isn't any benefit to staying on iOS 12, save for a few bugs and incompatibilities with specific apps (until those apps get updated).

I've already updated our two iPad Air 2s to iPadOS 13.

George Dawes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
I digress.

IMO 12 has much better predictive text support than 13 which is haphazard to say the least . Plus even in my 12.9 pro it feels sluggish and unresponsive. The new gestures are unnecessary imo too.

Prefer 12 to 13 thx.