Who is still waiting for a Matte Screen 13" inch ???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fab5freddy, Sep 6, 2009.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Apple still has their head up their %^*.

The 13" inch Macbook Pro still doesn't have a Matte Screen option.
    Also, all iMacs, Cinema Displays don't have Matte Screen options either!

Are there any others out there wanting this option ?

2. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Not happy w. the glassy but gave up waiting. One of Apples biggest, if not the biggest, design blunder of all time.

Hate it. Do love my Air's glossy display which is worlds better than any of the glsssy-glosses.

Currently hunting for a matte film protector to compensate for an otherwise beautiful computer.

3. macjay macrumors 6502

4. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

On a MB or MBP? The gloss on a MB is infinitely less annoying than the MBP. I'd like to just remove the glass to get the glare down to a normal gloss LCD level.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think I really want a 13" MBP but I'm willing to wait and see what happens with the matte option. I love my Air's glossy but it is so much less glossy than the MBPs.

6. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Let's all write angry emails to Steve Jobs
    about the Matte Screen.

7. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

You will never see a matte screen option for the 13" as that market of consumer (i.e. the everyday web surfing emailing youtube watching Mr Average) is completely different to the professional one of the 15 and 17 inchers.

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Let's not be a hater. We all have the "Pro" moniker now. Give the little guy a matte option. The 15" base model has the 13" guts plus a bigger display.

9. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

I just don't understand Glossy Screens. They Suck.

10. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I didn't delay my purchase waiting for it as it is still not certain whether there will be a Matte 13.3 or not. So I took the plunge and got mine but as soon as the matte is offered and it's a quality one I am selling mine and getting a MBP with it.

I would think that the most portable MBP should be the one usable at most environments, including outdoors.

11. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I have a gen. 1 MBP w. glossy and an Air w. glossy. They aren't really that bad. It's the freakin' glass that kills. I also had a uMBP 15" w. the glass that I loathed. The amount of glare is night and day between a standard gloss panel and the glass covered monstrosity Apple has designed. That black bezel doesn't help any with glare either.:rolleyes:

12. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Matte ftw!

I agree. But, I also think that the iMac should have the option. A friend has one and even in a average lit room, it's glare is awful.

13. Vster macrumors 6502

+1, I have to close the blinds all the way to even use it.

14. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Every computer should have the option.
    Most desktop monitors are matte.
    Most televisions are matte.
    Most digital cameras have matte screens.
    And IMO all that's for a reason.

The only devices that benefit from glossy screens are mobile phones in my opinion and that's for the sole reason that they are easier to clean than matte screens.

Check out the OLPC. It's not a comparable example but it has a 7.5 1200x900 that can be used under direct sunlight. That's the kind of screen I would want in my laptop.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

While I appreciate your close minded hate for the 13" because you somehow deem it a non pro machine, the glossy vs matte option doesn't separate pro from non pro. If you believe this then all displays pre-glossey movement are pro displays. Ergo, logic fails. :cool:

16. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Thanks but I was more thinking the extra cost of the matte option on said persons pocket who purchases the an entry level 13".

17. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Money doesn't tell the whole story. Where's the value? The base 13" is a pretty good performer and can be loaded w. 8G of RAM and a good SSD by buyer. Maybe some people are smarter than pouring money into tech that they'll rarely use.

Would gladly have spent an extra $50-100 for a matte option and already added an Intel X25 160 SSD. I would venture to say that my 13 el cheapo w. 2.26GHz proc. & Intel SSD performs comparably to the rest of the MBP's in 90% of uses. All said and done, my el cheap ain't got no money 13" 2.26 GHz MBP cost around $1800.

There are also a lot of MBA switchers who paid $2400 for an Air when they really wanted a PB12" replacement buying the base 13MBP model. Matter of fact, I had two Airs and seeing how they performed much better than those nay sayers who said they were netbooks gone Apple, know the base 2.26 processor can do plenty.

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Again with a very broad assumption. Spoken like someone who doesn't value money because it's given to you or you're too young to even fathom value added in simpler things. Son, when one's needs are met with less there are chances that even the richest will find gratitude in buying what is needed. If I felt it necessary to over buy to prove a point then I can see the point of your weak argument. However, when it comes to me and my money/needs I buy what I need and what I find that has the most value. While I've failed from time to time, I believe my logic has saved me.

In short and just in case you glossed over my statement, those who do not buy top of the line aren't necessarily unable to.

19. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Well I can't spend 2k on a 15 or 17 cause I'd rather get another guitar for the additional 800 but I can spend another 50 for a Matte display. A good dinner costs more than that. Get over it.

20. pesc macrumors regular

If you think "professionals" must use big toys then here is a "professional" mobile phone for you:

[​IMG]

Personally I want my laptop to have great mobility and I will never buy one with a glossy screen.

I still have up to $3000 in cash waiting for something to replace my 12" Powerbook.... :mad:

21. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

good luck.

22. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

I understand that a lot of people would prefer a matte option.

But I don't understand the humongous issue with the glassy displays.

CRT Monitors from a few years ago all had glass covers. All professionals used them. Everyone did without complaining ever.

I still have televisions with glass-covered displays. They work fine.

We used to always have them, no one had a problem back then. They were never a huge issue really. I think people need to take a step back and realize this is just the same old technology we saw years back =\

23. CFYG macrumors newbie

I'm still desperately waiting for the Matte screen option :(

I also have a 12 inch powerbook that needs to be replaced. It's starting to show it's age (six years) and I don't know how much longer I can hold out. If I need to purchase a new computer before they release a viable option for me, I don't know what I'll do. I don't want to go windows, but this glossy screen crap is the height of stupidity imo. I need a portable laptop I can actually use in the situations that I would 'port' it to, if you will.

24. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502