Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

high heaven

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
This is the worst period of time working as a photographer because of Coronavirus. I had to cancel all of my portrait sessions and then stay inside as long as possible. And yet I still see some photographers working outside in this situation. This outbreak won't gonna end soon and I don't know if it's a right thing to stay inside for several months until Coronavirus is gone.

Does anyone especially from the US still working as a photographer?

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
I am both a photographer and a Realtor. I had planned to take today off anyway, but then got an email that closing the Real Estate office...so that took all the fun out of it. Yes, have seen the photography side diminish, particularly with real estate photos as new listings are down. What it is giving me as a photographer is time. I can now dedicate it to writing an e-book I started in January and redesign my website to support sales from the book. Would love to transition from active shoots to passive income flow as I retire. Travel and landscape photography can be so hard on client based event photography with the conflicting availability and can only use the "on assignment" excuse so often. NEVER tell them you are on vacation!

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
It’s going to be a hard time for many self employed and small businesses. I think the best thing to do is sit back and think about what work you can do in this situation. I have a backlog of jobs to do from editing, website updates through to cleaning out my inbox but most of that won’t bring in any money so first of all I am brainstorming ideas to get some other kind of income stream. There is going to be a lot of people at home on the Internet looking for things to do and there is a great opportunity to serve this market.

Reactions: Ledgem

BlakeBrattina

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2011
Bay City, MI
Very tough time for photographers, myself included. Best thing to do is work with companies who have product photo needs, of course, potentially outdoor and landscape sessions where you don't need any companion or subject.

tcphoto1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Nashville, TN
I spent years working in Restaurants and if you didn't work you didn't make money. I've been shooting for a long time and once again, if I don't work I don't make money. I've had a few small shoots with a few that I need to go on location with minimal interaction but it's not looking very good in the future.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Shoot landscapes and wildlife. Specially with wildlife, no crowds.
In Michigan the DNR parks are over crowded with daywalkers and zombies, aka, these huge groups of people who congregate in the parking lots, then walk all over the trails.

It's unprecedented, STAY AWAY from your local parks / trails, go to some true wilderness.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I work in prepress now, our company prints labels for medical device manufactures. Unfortunately business is very good right now, we are working very long days.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
As soon as we got the "Stay at Home" orders from our governor, I didn't have to cancel... they cancelled. Funny thing is... now that we've all been confined in our homes for like 3 weeks, Instagram influencers I shoot are running out of content to post... LOL... I just recently pulled up old shoots, and photoshopped them into another backdrop location. This whole situation isn't funny... so I hope all of you are doing well... and stay safe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.