Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Next Dynasty?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Patriots, V.2, 2014-present with core of Brady, Edelman, Gronk version (possibly getting a third ring in four years, again?)

Cubs (with team intact, especially pitchers, enough to do damage?)

Warriors (with the overkill, crazy addition of Durant?)

...the last sports dynasty, which I think is through, was the San Francisco Giants (Lincecum, Cain, Madbum, Wilson, Romo, Sandoval, Posey, Renteria, Vogelsong, Pagan, Panik, and Pence) getting into the postseason every other year since 2010 and getting three World Series trophies. They have a new closer in Melancon but have lost too many great players to retirement, other teams, or just plain old age.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
What is the sport that you are discussing as I have never heard of any of the names you mention?

And, by "Dynasty" do you mean a team, or a family of talented athletes or sportsmen?

Reactions: JamesMike

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Patriots (American football)

Cubs (Baseball)

Warriors (Basketball)

Thank you. Much appreciated.

I don't know the first thing about either American football, or baseball, - not the rules, aims of the game, scoring system, tactics - but - as it is an Olympic sport, I do have some idea of what basketball is all about.

Reactions: JamesMike

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Watch out the Yankees are building a new young team.

A dynasty to me is at least 3 consecutive championships in a row. Or at least a decade of dominance.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Watch out the Yankees are building a new young team.

A dynasty to me is at least 3 consecutive championships in a row. Or at least a decade of dominance.

They are always a danger. With the Yankees, it's never if they are a dynasty because every other era is one for them, but which dynasty was their best ever. There are so many great Yankee teams so it's hard to determine. Yogi had ten rings in his playing days not to mention later as coach.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
...the last sports dynasty, which I think is through, was the San Francisco Giants (Lincecum, Cain, Madbum, Wilson, Romo, Sandoval, Posey, Renteria, Vogelsong, Pagan, Panik, and Pence) getting into the postseason every other year since 2010 and getting three World Series trophies. They have a new closer in Melancon but have lost too many great players to retirement, other teams, or just plain old age.
The Chicago Blackhawks have made the Stanley Cup playoffs every year since 2009, have won three Stanley Cups, and have done so in a capped league. There is no question they are a bigger, better dynasty.

Baseball dynasties and basketball dynasties are fairly easy because of the loose (or no) cap situation. Especially the NBA, where so few teams have won the championship. Hockey is a hard cap like football. That's why the Patriots and the Blackhawks are so much more impressive.

Also, we should probably include UCONN womens basketball. Also Mercedes AMG F1

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Patriots are already a dynasty and if anything I'd venture their reign on top is closer to ending now with their Tom Brady heading into his 40s.

The Cubs are potentially positioned, but only time will tell.

The Yankees are a team that is doing everything right, not spending all of their money chasing after older (and more expensive) free agents, but rather growing a team from their farm system. I think they themselves could also return to greatness.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Just throwing this out there, what about the Cavs? LJ is still pretty young and the Cavs as a team are putting up some really good numbers right now. They have one Championship under their belt already.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Just throwing this out there, what about the Cavs? LJ is still pretty young and the Cavs as a team are putting up some really good numbers right now. They have one Championship under their belt already.

If not the Warriors getting a second and third ring, I think it's totally possible the Cavs can get three, especially with some new additions. If both Warriors and Cavs end up like Lakers and Celtics of the 1980s with two dynasties going head to head, then we will have some great entertainment. LeBron vs. Durant or Curry!

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Patriots, V.2, 2014-present with core of Brady, Edelman, Gronk version (possibly getting a third ring in four years, again?)

Cubs (with team intact, especially pitchers, enough to do damage?)

Warriors (with the overkill, crazy addition of Durant?)

The last sports dynasty you think is the Giants????

Current dynasties in my opinion
The Patriots have been the last 15 years
UConn women bball
Kansas Mens bball (14 consecutive Big 12 titles....unbelievable)
San Antonio Spurs

Recent Sports Dynasties
Miami Heat

To name a few

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The last sports dynasty you think is the Giants????

UConn women bball
San Antonio Spurs

Recent Sports Dynasties
Miami Heat

To name a few
So is Alabama football. And Blackhawks hockey, still.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
For a short period in time, baseball and American football were somewhat popular with young Britons. I think it died down fairly fast.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Patriots, UConn Women's basketball, Alabama football, Golden State Warriors

While the Cubs are much improved, one championship does not a dynasty make.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
UConn women bball
San Antonio Spurs
Dynasties rule.

That eliminates the Spurs and the Jayhawks (who consistently choke in the NCAA playoffs).

Of the four teams you mentioned, only the University of Connecticut Huskies women's basketball team can be described as a dynasty.

As for other sports, it is arguable that most of the recent dynasties are at the collegiate level, like Alabama or Ohio State football, maybe a couple of the water polo teams in California, two or three soccer teams, softball teams, volleyball teams, stuff like that.

Dynastic performance is not defined by conference excellence. You must win championships. Getting bounced out of the Sweet Sixteen or Elite Eight does not make the Jayhawks a dynasty.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Dynasties rule.

That eliminates the Spurs and the Jayhawks (who consistently choke in the NCAA playoffs).

Of the four teams you mentioned, only the University of Connecticut Huskies women's basketball team can be described as a dynasty.

As for other sports, it is arguable that most of the recent dynasties are at the collegiate level, like Alabama or Ohio State football, maybe a couple of the water polo teams in California, two or three soccer teams, softball teams, volleyball teams, stuff like that.

Dynastic performance is not defined by conference excellence. You must win championships. Getting bounced out of the Sweet Sixteen or Elite Eight does not make the Jayhawks a dynasty.
Great point.

While I am a Giants fan and love the dynasty, getting all three WS in five years would be sweeter if:

...at least one back to back

...at least winning division as well as final game in all three attempts

Additionally, if the Giants made the postseason in 2011 and 2013, it would have shown utter dominance. No Giants fan I know considers the Giants as dominant. Most of us know that overall, in past few years since 2013, the Dodgers have been stronger

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
As a Wings fan it's hard to admit but the answer is Blaxkhawks

My guess is that Blackhawks and Cubs will have bragging rights after all is said and done years from now but it will be hard to beat the Bulls in MJ days, and we have thus issue in SF.

There is no doubt Warriors will get a couple or few more, and Giants can get one more, making 4, while Posey and Madbum are still healthy, but how do you eclipse 5 Niners titles in 14 years?

If I had to guess if we will remember Montana-Young-Rice, or Timmy-Buster-Madbum, or Curry-Thompson-Durant the most when all teams' dominance and headlines are over with, I think the Warriors will be our proudest achievement ever.

Warriors have 2x west, one time NBA final, best three point shooting, and best season record ever, but I think that's only the start. When Durant came on, I saw the potential of an 80s Lakers or 90s Bulls.

arggg14

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
Patriots, UConn Women's basketball, and Bama football all just seem to be one step ahead of everyone else year after year.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
While the Cubs are much improved, one championship does not a dynasty make.
True, but the thread is about predicting what the next dynasties will be.
Cubs and/or Astros, Cowboys?, Bucks (Yiannas needs some help), Michigan (football - my least favorite college for athletics), Gonzaga? (basketball), Mississippi State??? (women's basketball).
Best answer: Who knows?

Reactions: 63dot

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I think for up and coming, the Patriots, and they had two distinct Brady dynasties. Three in four years speaks for itself in '01-'04.

But we are on the cusp of seeing a second dynasty run of three in four or five years with new names like Gronk and Edelman to support Brady.

One can say it's been a continuous dynasty for the whole period but winning championships is a part of that so it's two dynasties overall for them, so for the last 30+ years it was Niners, Cowboys, Patriots, and maybe Patriots again unless Denver or Seattle adds two more in next few years.

But if I had to pick a dynasty that wasn't a multiple winner over a short time, the Braves had a pitching dynasty in the 1990s with the best rotation in history. I am hopeful the Giants can hang onto it if their pitching finds a 4th scary starting pitcher after Madbum, Cueto, and the Shark. Few have called us a pitching dynasty and none of the three Cy Young guys (Peavy, Zito, Lincecum) won the award on same year as a World Series run, and had moments of greatness but also nail biting bad pitching, too.
[doublepost=1491407289][/doublepost]Over next decade, expect to see Zags get there a few times, and a couple of titles would not surprise me.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think for up and coming, the Patriots
I don't think you can break the Patriot's dynasty in two. Look at the 49er's as a good example. We have a franchise that changed QBs and coaches in the midst of their dynasty and no one talked about it as two dynasties.

The Patriots have the same coach, and QB, and their periennial foray deep into the playoffs even in years they did not win the SB shows a franchise that has a history of winning and also illuminates how hard it is to win a Super Bowl. The Carolina Panthers learned that lesson hard last year. They thought they could just waltz through the season and that's the furthest thing from the truth.

While the Pats are the favorite to win again, I don't think that will happen just for the fact its really hard, and winning back to back is even harder because of the distractions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.