Who is this other person on my Mac?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Reach9, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Hey all, not sure if this is a stupid question.

Recently I went to change a file permission on my Mac, I clicked Get Info and I went down saw that it said my name and "everyone" under Sharing and Permissions. I clicked the + button to add a user and I saw my name there and Administrator and then _fpsd

Who or what is _fpsd? Has someone hacked into my Mac? Is someone using my Mac? I can't see them under Users & Groups in System Preferences. How should I remove _fpsd if someone else is in my Mac?

Any feedback would be great, thanks!

2. MC6800 macrumors 6502

I don't recognize that particular user name, but it's in the common form for macOS background services. You might find its description in the passwd file. Run Terminal and type:

Code:
    grep _fpsd /etc/passwd
    A wild guess would be that you've installed a Frames-Per-Second monitor for games.

3. Reach9 thread starter macrumors 68020

Reach9

Thanks for getting back to me! I just typed that in and nothing popped up but it started a process, it seems like I need to input something else after that in Terminal?

4. MC6800 macrumors 6502

Don't forget to type a Return at the end. The "grep" command you entered will then search for the text pattern "_fpsd" in the text file "/etc/passwd", which is a list of all users known to the machine. If found, it will output the line of text containing it, which should include a short description of that user. If not found, you get nothing back, just the next prompt.

5. Reach9 thread starter macrumors 68020

Reach9

Yeah I didn’t get anything back. This feels weird!

6. MC6800 macrumors 6502

Apparently /etc/passwd is only for single-user mode now-- the real stuff is in individual plist files in /var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default. Try in Terminal:

Code:
    sudo -s
    cd /var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default
    ls
    You can also test using the id command:

Code:
    id _fpsd

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Neander Valley, Germany; just outside Duesseldorf
    Strangely enough, _fpsd is showing up in my Printer Sharing pane of System Preferences. I cannot delete it and a restart of the computer and printer does not make it go away. I am also now unable to print to this printer (connected to a Mac by USB) from my MacBook Pro or a Mac Mini elsewhere in the house. Wifi is with AEBS AC router.