Who is Tim Cook?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Indy21, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Indy21 macrumors 6502

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

So how do you guys think Cook is going to do running Apple?
    I for one think he will do great and that Jobs has taught him a lot.
    Besides, all major operations still go through Jobs.

3. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

I think He will do really well.....maybe even better than jobs. We do need some change in a lot of things apple, for one a price drop on some of the computers would be great. The iphone could use a revamp, I love my 3G but it is pretty much the same as the original with a plastic back and a different network. I would like more features!

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think you people need to shift focus off where the guy posted this and turn your attention to what the topic of conversation really is. Fact is, the guy googled something and shared it. If he were to say "who is Tim Cook" iParis, no doubt you would have told him to google it. There's no way to win here. And your argument "I'm more active than you" is fruitless. Quality over quantity my dear.

OP: I agree with you and based on what can be found, Tim Cook appears to be up for the job. However, the bigger issue will be the legacy that he must fulfill and the employee loyalty he must gain. While the employees may have been fine with him in his previous role, this is a whole new ball of wax. As a working professional I can say that there are some people who make great executives, but if they were to step up as CEO I would head for the hills.

Edit:
    I'm so using this. ;)

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

im still an advocate of opening up osx. that would make my day

6. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I know, I was just stating that because he said I have no right to be here.

Do you mean opening it up to where it also works on PC's?
    The only problem I have with that is I don't really think people would keep buying Macs anymore if OS X were to be opened.

7. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/cook.html

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2009/tc20090114_965277.htm

It would appear that Mr. Cook is an accomplished "manager".

8. Indy21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh I'm an apple 'fan', I just didn't know much about Tim Cook, therefore I'm still learning about Apple and kinda new to the scene. I wasn't aware you couldn't be a fan of a product if you didn't know their 20+ year history from past. Mah bad I guess.

Hey I'm learning something new about Apple everyday and I enjoy this site. I may catch up eventually. :D

Anyways, Tim Cook seems like a winner if he were to take over permenantly if you ask me. I mean I want Steve to make a comeback and all but I think regardless of what happens we'll be allright. ;)

(Thanks for accepting my apology iParis, I'm grumpy and I need more coffee!) >=/

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

That or select vendors

I don't know, people would still buy apple hardware for the design.

10. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

espresso works wonders for grumpiness!

11. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I was in your place before.
    Before I joined MacRumors I didn't know much about Apple, now I know most of what there is to know. Lol.

I would only want HP, only of the only PC's companies I don't despise.

Well let's look at this scenario,
    Average person that knows a little about computers but not a whole lot goes into Best Buy to buy a computer.
    Buyer: Hello, I'm looking to buy a computer
    Best Buy Associate: Ok, well we have this $499 with top of the line specs and this $1,199 computer with average specs.
    Buyer: What's the difference?
    Best Buy Associate: Well, the specs but the cheaper one is made out of plastic and the expensive one is aluminum. They run the same OS.
    Buyer: Hahaha. I think I'll go with the cheap one.

12. Indy21 thread starter macrumors 6502

13. Indy21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah ha! That's what I'm missing! Thanks! :D

And make that a double!

14. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well he seems to be good at what he does. seems like he would be a good apple ceo. we'll see

15. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

I hope he is not a SJ pt.2. He may end up being the CEO and I rather see someone totally different from SJ take over and see what they can do.

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

from what i have heard and read of Cook, he is a strong leader and demanding, just as jobs is, from the people below him. which will certainly be needed if he ends up stepping up as CEO in the future.

17. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

That's great and all but how is he in terms of getting some of those innovative products out there? Would like to see something different come from Apple rather then just thin things. I know the CEO doesn't design the stuff but they are the ones that determine what goes out in the market.

18. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Surely that's what Jonathan Ive and his Industrial Design colleagues are at Apple to do?

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

exactly. the CEO and top end executives arent the creative forces behind the products. the design team are. perhaps its time for some new blood, perhaps not. but Jobs/Cook/etc have no bearing on that as much as Ive does.

20. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

I know they aren't but who decides what goes into production? Ive?