Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
I find the dual monitor Mac experience slightly less user friendly than Windows, particularly because Windows has the menu bar built in to every window while OS X has one main one at the top. This worked beautifully back in the days of 17" monitors but in this day and age of 24" monitors, it doesn't work as well.

For example if I have a 24" display on the right side of my MacBook and I'm working on a program on the lower right corner, if I need to access the menu bar I have to go across the entire length of the monitor all the way to left monitor essentially traveling two monitors. Yes one could argue that all you need is a flick of the wrist to travel that entire distance, but it still isn't as user friendly as accessing the menu bar 3 inches away like on a Windows machine.

Another problem is if I want to rotate the external monitor, in Windows I can simply right-click my ATI driver on the lower right task bar and do a quick adjustment. But on OS X, I need to go into Settings and go through a few sub-menus.

Does anyone have any tips or is there no way around this? I would like to have my MacBook as my main setup, but due to these minor quibbles, I have my Windows laptop hooked up to an external monitor and use my MacBook as a standalone.

Bwa

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Boston & San Jose
You might want to check into a program called 'SecondBar' that puts the menubar on your 2nd screen.

Sadly it doesn't do this for > 2 screens.

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
For example if I have a 24" display on the right side of my MacBook and I'm working on a program on the lower right corner, if I need to access the menu bar I have to go across the entire length of the monitor all the way to left monitor essentially traveling two monitors.

I just set my external monitor to have the menu bar when I'm working at my desk. OSX moves the menu bar to the monitor when I plug in, and moves it back when I unplug the external. I find that I really only use the MBP screen for secondary things when I am at my desk.

Another problem is if I want to rotate the external monitor...

No idea, I never rotate my screens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.