Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yzord

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
I have just bought the latest MBP 15 inch and to be honest, why should i use the force touch pad? My mate also bought one and he also told me he didn't use the force touch.

So i was wondering.....who is using it? And if you are using it actively, for what and why?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I don't use the "Force click" function on a regular basis, but I do use the trackpad and have no complaints.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
I have just bought the latest MBP 15 inch and to be honest, why should i use the force touch pad? My mate also bought one and he also told me he didn't use the force touch.

So i was wondering.....who is using it? And if you are using it actively, for what and why?

I've never used a mouse with my MBP, and for me the force touch trackpad is great. The whole pad is superior to any others I've used - I rate the pads on my Lenovos as virtually useless - and force touch enhances it. I can click anywhere on the pad, which is a major improvement over others, and the two (adjustable) force levels give extra functionality. Not too much extra for me because I don't use much Apple software, and certainly my 2011 edition MS Office is not coded to support the function, but in Safari and Chrome when displaying most (not all) web content pressing down to the second level on a word brings up a Wikipedia definition. Overall I would say the trackpad is definitely one of the best features of my MBP, and in over a year's use I've never even considered plugging a mouse in.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
You don't necessary "use" the force touch trackpad, just using the trackpad normally is using it. The Force Touch click allows additional functions unavailable on regular trackpads enhancing one's experience with macOS. Looking at what Apple is doing with Force Touch with iOS 10, I wouldn't' be surprised to eventually see a macOS update with numerous options specifically designed for Macs with Force Touch. Currently I frequently utilize Force Touch in resizing windows, definitions, preview links, video forwarding or rewinding, and renaming files.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
The only thing I regularly use it for is defining words I'm not familiar with.

Reactions: xb2003

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Hi, use the force touch track up to look over vid if i want to see them or define words as well, and look over websites for info quickly. Is it useful? not really, i can live without it, but useful tho.

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2006
just got an rmbp a couple of days ago. still trying to get used to it especially the amount of pressure required to use. I was doing some Logic work yesterday and it keeps trying to rename the audio track instead of what I really wanted to do, which is to simply drag the audio file along the timeline! a little frustrating until I realized what I was doing wrong.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I just keep forgetting about it. I'm the same way with the Force Touch on my 6S Plus. I never really think about it, but my fiancé uses it for a lot of shortcuts. I should probably spend a few minutes to look into it more to see where I can use it but laziness pays off now.

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
MO
I use it for defining words and creating calandar events. The haptic feedback is really great in a program like Logic, also. It makes it easy to zero out a fader.

Internaut

macrumors 65816
I've never used a mouse with my MBP, and for me the force touch trackpad is great. The whole pad is superior to any others I've used - I rate the pads on my Lenovos as virtually useless - and force touch enhances it. I can click anywhere on the pad, which is a major improvement over others, and the two (adjustable) force levels give extra functionality. Not too much extra for me because I don't use much Apple software, and certainly my 2011 edition MS Office is not coded to support the function, but in Safari and Chrome when displaying most (not all) web content pressing down to the second level on a word brings up a Wikipedia definition. Overall I would say the trackpad is definitely one of the best features of my MBP, and in over a year's use I've never even considered plugging a mouse in.

It is exactly this kind of functional touch that edged me towards a MacBook Pro rather than the SurfaceBook (not to mention I own a Surface 3 and Windows 10 just doesn't come close).

aviv18901

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
honestly, i dont really use the force touch that much, although the "click anywhere" is really nice.
now after i got used to the new macbook trackpad i cant use any other...

spooned12000rpm

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
York, UK
I haven't embraced force touch yet, however the touchpad in general is fantastic. The click is satisfying and doesn't require quiet as much effort as the old MBP touchpads it's also quite a lot quieter even in the default settings, where the old design could be quite anti-social in quiet environments.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Ive had my Apple replacement system under a week and when I heard about "Force touch" (sounds like a Star Wars feature) I though the haptic feedback would be like the vibrate function on the iPhone and little did I know the "clicking" sound was generated via the new system which sounds like a button but does not move. Its quite freaky as you don't realise it most of the time. I was watching the trackpad in the light to see if it moves to correspond to the sound. The only drawback with this tech is it requires more power unlike micro switches.

kinchee87

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
New Zealand
I mainly use force click to check word definitions, peek into a file, renaming files, and peek into event of location details.

savagewatts

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
Vancouver, BC

I like to use it to peek at the forums as an example. I peek at them and see if they are worth opening. If you had of asked me if I use it much I would have said no, but when I use my Mac without it, I find I keep trying to use it though it's not there.

expiredyogurt

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2016
not america
I use it all the time. Especially when I want to preview a link without opening a new tab and defining words that I don't know. It makes it simple to use the MBP with one hand that way. I don't have to be opening a new tab or what not. Those are the 2 features I know of and use alot but sometimes when I'm doing other things, I tend to force click on stuff to see if it does anything else.

This might not be the force touch but when I edit pdf in preview or PS, there is a feedback on the trackpad when I align something together. Makes it easier for me to know when to let go.

webstarcool

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2010
SFO
I don't like the Force Touch on my Macbook Pro. Actually I dislike it so much that I'm going for a Macbook Air with the good old trackpad while I can. The tactile feedback in the old trackpad is much better. The new feels flimsy and inferior quality wise. A bit like the Macbook keyboard actually.

SoundsEclectic

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2016
I Disabled the ability to define words as I always seem to bring up the dictionary when I'm trying to do something else like copy or click and drag.

Plus I don't need a dictionary because I am familiar with every single word in the English language. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.