Who is waiting for Penryn/Santa Rosa MB??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fewture, Jun 15, 2007.

  1. fewture macrumors regular

    Jun 8, 2006
    I have been looking at the MB since it came out in 2006.
    When I heard about merom I thought I would wait for it.
    Then I heard about Santa Rosa so I thought I would wait for the x3100.

    Now of course Penryn and LED screens
    I am not going to wait any longer than the next revision to decide.

    But I am worried about the recent 'revision' to the Macbook and ideas that Apple wants to further the gap between the MB and MBP

    Who else is waiting for the Penryn and x3100(or x3000) and LED Macbook?
    Might Apple put in santa rosa for the next revision but not Penryn?

    Maybe Penryn will be significantly differently labelled, ie. Core 3 duo so that it will be more obvious if Apple doesn't put in the latest cpu to the average consumer...

    Not interested in Macbook Pro's.. unless of course they come out with a black 13.3 version (with an optical drive) ;)
  2. Flaki macrumors member

    May 14, 2007
    well i guess in the next refresh(winter) of MacBook it may get Santa Rosa and LED probably.

    Penryn? isn't it Nehalem(spelling)? i may have wrong.

    Myself, im waiting on 1680x1050 mbp
  3. fewture thread starter macrumors regular

    Jun 8, 2006
    yeah it will probably get santa rosa (at least for leopard?) and LED but Im not sure about Penryn.

    I am hoping Apple doesn't start giving the Macbook older hardware in each revision. It was hot when it had the latest cpu in it.
  4. iW00t macrumors 68040


    Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    Well it cannot possibly be too good value :rolleyes:
  5. siurpeeman macrumors 603


    Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    it isn't like the new macbooks are suffering performance-wise. to the op, you've been waiting since 2006, and you're going to be waiting several more months for a santa rosa update. would it not make sense to shell out the extra money to buy a computer that's got all the things you're waiting for today? the macbook pro is only 0.3 lb heavier, and the overall footprint is surprisingly similar at an inch deeper and an inch longer.
  6. naraic macrumors member

    Oct 30, 2006
    The MBP isn't really an option for some people. Like me, when it costs $600 extra over the Macbook 2.17 with 2gb ram(white). If i had the money, i would possibly go for it...(nVidea card worries me because I also use Linux, Intel chips use Open Source drivers and are much easier to get support for in Linux) But really I can't afford it anyway.

    That's why (to reply to the orignal question of the thread) I'm waiting for the SR, LED, Penryn update of the Macbook. This revison will include Leopard aswell, saving me the $129 upgrade cost. Also, the GMA 950 in the current Macbook doesn't seem powerful enough to me. As an ocasional gamer I would prefer the X3100, which i hear is a much stronger graphics chip, even if it is still integrated.

    Having watched the demo vids for Leopard (Stacks, Spaces, QuickLook, CoverFlow) it looks like it will require quite a bit of grahics performance, and I'm slightly weary of the GMA 950's possible future performance in it...

    And those are the main reasons I want to wait for the next Macbook Revision. Hope I havn't forgotten any...

  7. Dembo macrumors regular


    Jun 14, 2007
    London, UK / Frankfurt, Germany
    @siurpeeman: Exactly what I did. Waited for the MBP bump to SR, went to the Apple store @ Regent street and put the two babies next to each other.

    Granted, the size difference is not that big (and more screen space is alwyas welcomed) but: For some reason the black MB is just looking a lot slicker than the silvery MBP...

    However, ordered a MBP on the 12th and keeping my fingers crossed that my first Mac will be with me on the 21st.
  8. fewture thread starter macrumors regular

    Jun 8, 2006
    yeah the price factor is a definite issue.

    The Macbook did have the latest cpu for its first two incarnations.

    I don't think its 'too good value' for it to have again the latest cpu (Penryn) when it comes out and a revised version of integrated graphics which by that time will be 6 months old.

    The full range of macbooks goes from lower end (or close to) to mid range (blackbook) - its not a purely good value line.
  9. Erasmus macrumors 68030


    Jun 22, 2006
    Hiding from Omnius in Australia
    Definitely not me.

    Maybe if I wanted a MB, and could wait, I would. Penryn and the X3100 would make for a much more capable computer, and would be quite a performance jump. I would fathom a guess and say 50-100% faster... ;)

    Oh well, for me, it's a SR MBP. Then something with over a hundred cores, on die GPU and probably RAM too. In half a decade or so. Schweet. Go Intel!
  10. naraic macrumors member

    Oct 30, 2006
    If anyone is nterested in the physical size/weight differences betweent the Macbook and MBP, I just found a flickr gallery with some guy doin the same thing. Here's the link for anyone who's interested...


    Also, here's another image which might be helpful...


  11. Butthead macrumors 6502


    Jan 10, 2006
    The 1st 45nm CPU's from Intel will be desktop, Penryn for the mobile platform will not be out until 2008, 6 mo. from now at the earliest I'm guessing. SR MB's will very likely be out around the time of the next round of speed bumped Meroms due out in Sept07, if not sooner.

    Penryn might not even make it into the MB (MBP for sure when Penryn is 1st released) until the Monteviña chipsset later in 2008, which is rumored to have support for more energy efficient DDR3 800Mhz RAM and a slightly faster FSB. At that time or perhaps with the SR update, the MB may get a thinner/new shape. GPU will undoubtedly be updated with the SR chispset, with the next integrated GPU coming in Monteviña.

    In any case, MB must remain at the same price levels or get slightly less expensive to be considered a consumer laptop as opposed to the pro level MBP.

    I would wait for the CPU, LED BL screen, & GPU & 800Mhz FSB (maybe, could still be @667Mhz?) of the SR platform, which should be out by the time of the next CPU update in Sept. Back-to-school argument for at least might make for an SR update sooner though. Penryn is way too far out in the future to think about right now, especially for the MB.
  12. zioxide macrumors 603


    Dec 11, 2006
    You seriously have been waiting over a year to get a Macbook? lolz.

    Just buy it now, waiting forever is just stupid.

    Also, the next revision of the Macbook will probably not get Penryn, though it will get Santa Rosa/Merom and LED screens like the MBP just got.
  13. shawmanus macrumors member

    Mar 7, 2006
    Penryn is 45nm shrink of core 2 duo. Nehalem is next gen uarch.

    If AMD keeps delaying Barcelona and phenom, Intel will not be forced to release these cpus in a hurry.

    Penryn mobile is expected Q1 2008 so Apple may not update till Q2 2008.

    Intel is releasing T7800 ( 2.6ghz) and X7900 (exterme cpu 2.8ghz) around 4Q. Apple may bump up the cpu speed.
  14. amc382 macrumors regular

    Nov 4, 2003
    just got my 2.16ghz macbook

    and couldn't be happier!

    penryn will bring a die shrink, a clock boost, more cache, and SSE4 instructions. but it isn't waiting for... by the time penryn comes out you can just as easily wait for nahelem. intel wants to bring out either a revision or a new architecture every year, so you'll waiting forever.

    i'd say on some benchmarks it could be up to 50% faster, but at the same time for just casual stuff like safari and itunes, you might not notice anything. for common tasks the speed boost might translate into fractions of a second.

    as for the GPU: yes, the GMA950 sucks for games. but then again, so does the x3100, even if it does have T&L. with my new whitebook, i get full core image and core video support, including things like the ripple effect in dashboard. also, the 950 will support core animation in leopard.

    in my opinion, if you really want a better GPU, and a slight speed boost, you might as well get a macbook pro now. there are times i believe in waiting, like i wouldn't have bought a mac in 2005 after they announced the move to x86, but right now we just have incremental bumps coming up.
  15. fewture thread starter macrumors regular

    Jun 8, 2006
    yeah i have been waiting over a year. Haven't 'needed' a macbook for most the of time but its been getting harder lately (have a reasonable AMD desktop, but I really need a laptop these days).

    I am definitely want to wait for the x3100, that should be definite for next revision. The gma950 is not very good - and I would like pixel shader 2 in my next computer (x3100)

    Intel will probably release Penryn even if Barcelona doesn't come out - its been ready for a long time, and there is no reason to stop the 6 month product cycle.

Share This Page