Who is waiting to upgrade?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by agchat, Nov 13, 2013.

1. agchat macrumors newbie

For those of us who just bought a new iMac, and it still has Mountain Lion, are you in a hurry for mavericks, or are you letting a few more glitches get updated first? I am not sure what to do.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Go to Mavericks straight.

3. agchat thread starter macrumors newbie

4. aznboi91 macrumors regular

Why wait? The I haven't seen any glitches yet...

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Mavericks improves RAM usage with compressed RAM. It's also got superb multiple display support. There's no bugs or glitches so far. Battery life is also extended.

6. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Awesome! My iMac's battery didn't seem to be holding a charge too well ;)

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Oops. My bad. I have two iMacs and several MBPs, so it kind of slipped from my mind. I forgot that I was replying to an iMac forum :p

8. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I figured so! However I saw the opportunity and jumped on it :D

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

*facepalm*
    I'll be watching what I type next time :)

10. agchat thread starter macrumors newbie

Then why do I read about so many spinning beach balls, longer to open applications, and if you have older iWork's, the new does not work worth a crap. Nobody on here getting none of that ?

11. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You only get beach balls if you have a slow Mac. A slow Mac is defined as having one or more of the characteristics below:
    1. Rotational hard drive, 5400 or 7200rpm.
    2. 4GB of RAM.
    3. No discrete graphics (depends though. The Intel HD 5000 and Iris can cope up just fine).

Folks shouldn't be using a hard drive with a rotational platter or on just 4GB of RAM these days, regardless of cost.

All apps only take one bounce in the dock to open up. At most, two. But that's because I have an SSD.

If you use the new iWork, files created there will not work in the old iWork. Files created on the old iWork will work in the new one though.

The old iWork still works on Mavericks, however.

12. Zerotolerance macrumors member

Count me in as someone who's waiting. I deliberately bought my late 2013 iMac before Mavericks so that I could get it with Mountain Lion, just in case. I'll probably wait until 10.9.1 or 10.9.2 before I upgrade. There's no rush.

13. Bear macrumors G3

Not everyone has the same experience.

For the day I was on Mavericks, I will agree memory management is much improved, however, I ran into some issue that made me decide to go back to Mountain Lion.

Different people have different experiences. Make sur eyou check all the software and device drivers you use are compatible with or have updates for Mavericks before upgrading.

I'm going to wait until Apple fixes the issues I ran in to before upgrading again.

14. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

I would wait (and have done so on my Mac Pro). Mavericks is optimized for laptops. App nap & memory compression don't help systems with ample resources..in fact my beta tests on the Mac Pro showed a loss in performance for complex video formatting.

ML was not really stable until 10.8.3
    Lion was not really stable until 10.7.4 (some say never)
    SL was rock solid at 10.6.8 but we may never see a x.x.8 version again

Mountain lion is at 10.8.5 and while not perfect I can use it every day without strangeness. My only heartburn is that my i0S7 devices can change versions of my iWorks stuff that my Mac Pro can no longer open.

I do use Mavericks on my MBA and it improved performance. I still find lots of bugs but rebooting is not a big deal for a notebook.

If I had a nice high end iMac...I would wait.

15. IA64 macrumors 6502

Mavericks is still buggy, I reverted back.

I find no reason to upgrade for the time being.

ML 10.8.5 is still doing very well.

16. leman macrumors 604

I have been using Mavericks since the first developer preview and I never experienced a single issue with it. Of course, it depends on what applications you use. Mavericks has changed lots of its under the hood implementation and applications who have been abusing the API in some way might not work as expected anymore.

----------

I agree that the new iWork is beta. Still, nobody is forcing you to use it. The old iWork didn't lose any of its functionality. Overall, the article is totally ridiculous. By this guys logic all (especially new) software is beta. Bugs are always there, the question is only when (or if) they are caught.

17. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Mavericks has been fine for me mostly, I have had some odd issues with Juniper VPN but figure that the VPN client was due for an upgrade anyway. Otherwise, it only broke Parallels before version 9 which finally got me off my butt to just remove Parallels and stop paying THAT company more for my Parallels upgrade than the OS upgrade

18. Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

Got Mavericks the very second it came up..
    Worked like a charm just as expected.

Its after all an Apple product!

19. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Not to deny your experience with Mavericks, but what kind of bugs are you experiencing with it?

20. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

wish I could go back to ML

Not sure if I can blame the weak amount of vram Radeon 4670 256 chip and my nearly empty 500gb magnetic hard drive in my 2010 iMac on all too frequent beach balls in Mavericks. My iMac has 12gb of RAM and it flew on ML 10.8.5 even with the hard drive half full and the weak vram.

A clean install of Mavericks did zilch for me.

Wish I waited to install this on my iMac.

So for laptops it might be great, but in this iMac users case, it was not.

21. TheyCallMeBT macrumors member

The main thing that worries me is the problems that Mail is having with Google Apps email accounts. I haven't looked deeply into it, but I know it's an issue, so I need to wait until I have time to research it more to see if it's something that I can work through.

And I haven't seen anyone say that CS6 has issues with it. Have any of you heard either way on that? I do have a friend with CC that said it's fine-- but CS6 could potential have a problem that CC wouldn't, since they have left CS6 by the wayside.

Also, this isn't exactly related. But the mention of the iWork suite reminded me. I just got my educators version of Office for Mac 2011. It doesn't do the auto-save deal like iWork, right?

22. propower macrumors 6502a

10.8.4 for me until several key programs I use are up on 10.9 and I hear good reports for how its working. Probably hold off till 2014...

23. agchat thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I just talked to the mac techy that worked in our past business, and he said for my entry level machine , hardly any third party software it will be fine. Well I did download it last night, and it was a breeze. Everything that i use on my machine works great. Safari may be a bit slower(I think) but all else is just dandy. Thanks to all. Oh cannot say am a fan of the new contacts, just a bit different. Going to try the new pages and numbers in a bit.

24. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

For the most part, I found Mavericks to be one of the better upgrades next to Snow Leopard. I am always curious when Apple brings us another upgrade/version of OSX and then install and find some annoyances. With Mavericks, I was pleasantly surprised and didn't find most of the changes to be not to my liking or buggy. I think this is the first time I can sing the praises confidently to my friends to go ahead and upgrade (after seeing what hardware and software they are using).