Who just upgraded from 4.7 to 5.5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WannaApple?, Sep 19, 2016.

1. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

Out of all the previous phones since the 2nd generation I have always had the 4.7 standard size. I wanted to try the larger screen size so I just upgraded to the 7 Plus yesterday. Before I got it I was about 50/50 on whether I wanted it or not, now I'm about 75/25 in favor of keeping it but still have a few concerns, particularly in things like using it as a phone, using it in bed, etc. I don't watch too many videos or movies on it so I don't necessarily NEED the size. The one-handed usage isn't important to me as since I have small hands I always even used my 6 with 2 hands with the exception of a rare occasion. The plus just still feels large to me.

So for those that took the plunge and upgraded to the Plus with this new phone, how are you adjusting? Do you love it so far or are you still unsure as well? Any tips from anyone that went for the larger size even in the last gen?

2. johnothy macrumors regular

johnothy

I adjusted fine. After awhile it doesn't feel that big until you see a 4.7 size phone. One of the reasons I switched was the better battery life on the plus.

3. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I tried the plus when it was first available for iPhone 6. It felt too big to carry around and shortly went back to regular 6, and later upgraded to the 6s 4.7". Went on vacation last month trying out the 6S+. It was more manageable as I was always in shorts with huge pockets. Also the phone was in my hands most of the time in use during my vacation trip.

Now life is back to routine and I went for an iPhone 7, not plus.

4. white_horse macrumors member

white_horse

Switching from the 4.7 to the plus as well but still waiting on the plus to ship. I switched for the new camera. It is going to take some getting used to having a phone that large.

5. Skika macrumors 68030

I was really on the edge with going with the Plus this year, but i didnt want to sacrifice one handed use at the end. Also remembering i have an ipad pro 9,7 helped.

6. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

The last 4.7 inch iPhone I had was the 6, and I couldn't get the battery to last me all day. So I then upgraded to the 6 Plus. Then I upgraded to the 6s Plus. I'd like to go down to the 6s but I cannot have a phone to where I have to charge it during the day as I'm not always around a charger.

7. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

https://www.anker.com/products

They make some exceptional portable chargers. Ideal for those on the go all day.

8. bwiissofly macrumors 6502

I did. Tried the Plus with the 6 and didn't like it. Went for the plus with the 7 and love it. I don't think I'll go back now!

9. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

I had the iPhone 6 and now the iPhone 7. I love the size, but really want the duo cameras of the 7 plus. I have a 7 Plus for delivery tomorrow and I'm hoping that i'll be able to handle and larger size. My main concerns about the size are the pocketability and use in hand. My hands aren't large so I'm not sure how I'll do holding and using the phone. We will see.

10. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

This will be me when my pre-order comes tomorrow. I went from a iPhone 6S to a iPhone SE (my daughter has the 6S now) and next to a iPhone 7 Plus.
    I'm no stranger to large phones (Nexus 6, Note 4, Note 3 and Note 2) but this will be my first iPhone Plus model and both me and the wife are really excited. I know that with this phone I won't be interested in any Android offerings for at least a year because I'm really a phone nut.

11. CoriG macrumors 6502

I upgraded from 6s to 7+ and I LOVE IT! No issues transitioning at all. The batter on the 7+ is so much better than my 6s. I used to have to charge my 6s one through the day.. Now my phone last all day long with lots of battery life to spare.

12. boo98 macrumors newbie

I originally purchased the 7 in 4.7 and returned it for a 7+. It takes getting used to but I carry a bag most of the time so portability isn't much of an issue even when I have to carry in hand. Now the 4.7 looks so small. I got it mainly because of the camera.

13. BMox macrumors 6502

BMox

As it stands, I'm probably going to go the other way.

Nothing wrong with the 6 Plus I currently have, but want to see what they do next year with the larger size so happy to move down for a year to save some costs.

14. batman75 macrumors 6502

Thanks for creating this thread. Will stay tuned to see what others think

15. batman75 macrumors 6502

Please post on this thread what your thoughts are after you get it.

16. laurenbanjo macrumors member

Spent two years with the 6 and 6s and now I'm trying out the 7+. Still haven't gotten it because I ordered jet black. But hopefully I'll get used to it. I'm a girl so small hands and small pockets but I need new pants this year anyway so I'll opt for ones that can fit the phone lol. Really wanted that telephoto lens. I love taking pictures.

17. nickyD410 macrumors 6502

nickyD410

I will be upgrading from a 6 to a 7+, when apple decides my phone is worthy enough to ship to me. :mad:

18. sekazi macrumors 6502

I am switching also. I find times where I want to use something with a larger screen with no iPad on hand. I figure this is a good meet in the middle.

I received one of the 7+'s today and it looks like it will be great. I just gotta wait until mine comes which will be hopefully this week or next.

19. Smithwicks macrumors 6502

I have the plus on order but wish I had chosen the smaller variant. The 3gb of ram on the plus model lured me to it.

20. vintagebob macrumors member

vintagebob

Had a 6+ for 2 years and kind of learned to live with it. I moved down to a 7 this time and I'm really enjoying the portability, even more than I thought I would.

Knowing your type of usage is key. Lots of video and games? Go Plus.

For me, I spend more of my day at home now where I have several computers and iPads available for video and games, so I can mainly use the phone as a phone and not a mini-tablet.

The 7 is wicked fast compared to my 6+!

21. CrackerJackToy macrumors 6502

CrackerJackToy

It took me a whopping two or three days to adjust to the 6 plus when it first came out. After two weeks, I was so accustomed to it, the base 4.7 felt like a midget phone. All the other amenities such as battery life & camera are just extra bonuses. I could never go back.

22. batman75 macrumors 6502

It's interesting but most of the people I know who had the 6+ or 6S+ are women. My wife has always carried her phone in her purse so 6+ isn't an issue, and she says the 6 is large enough she would have to use it with 2 hands anyway so that didn't bother her.

23. OBirder macrumors regular

Like the OP I had the standard size since 2nd gen. This time I went for the 7 plus and wasn't sure if it would be the right choice.
    Even so I have larger hands, I as well type mostly 2 hands. For quick replies I can use with one hand.
    Regarding phone calls:
    At work I wear business shirts. Since years I use a Bluetooth headset which I carry in my shirt pocket. It connects to my work and personal phone. Any phone rings, headset on ear and go. Car has Bluetooth. I have made short calls and I found it easy to hold. So phone calls is not a problem.

I love the extra real estate. My eyes are not getting younger and enjoy the larger screen. It was the main reason for the plus consideration. I use PowerPoint to present with Apple Watch. Much better readability. My photos from my DSLR equipment look fantastic on the larger screen. I frequently use a rental car and the Google maps navigation on the larger screen is great too.

The extra battery life and dual lens I took as welcome additions.

So at this time I am at the 95/5 point that it was the right decision. I don't think I could go back.

But only long term (a year) will be really conclusive.

24. laurenbanjo macrumors member

I'm a tomboy and hate purses (hate carrying them and putting them down just gives someone a reason to steal it). However, what's different this year is that I have an Apple Watch, so if I do need to keep my phone in a backpack/knapsack or it's a formal event and I do bring a purse, at least now I don't have to keep opening up the bag to check my phone, because I'll get all my notifications on my wrist. Also, for winter I will have big pockets on my jacket so carrying it around won't be too bad, I'm more just worried about the summer. I'd get one of those holster things but I don't want to hide the jet black finish in one of the opaque cases you have to put on it to work on the holster.

25. deerincashmere macrumors newbie

I am on the same page as your wife! I used a 6+ for a few days when I misplaced my 6s and I fell in love, I knew I would get the 7+. The 6/6s were too large for me to comfortably use with one hand so I almost always used two hands. Using two hands is more comfortable on the + models since they're bigger!

I just got my 7+ yesterday and it's been a speedy adjustment. The 6s already seems small!