Who knew eMacs make great CD rippers??

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kylera, Jan 22, 2012.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I'm not quite sure how this works, but right now, I'm ripping all of my CDs before I put them in storage, and I've got a 2011 iMac, PowerBook G4 12" and 1st-gen eMac (700Mhz) all ripping at them. For some reason, the eMac registers the highest ripping speed, consistently above 10X while the other two average around 9X or slightly over.

Either way, I feel productive. :D

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The eMac's tray loading desktop class optical drive allows it to spin the disc at speeds up to 48x. While the iMac and Powerbook's slot loading drive only allow for speeds up to 24x.

3. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

Ah, that was quite educational. I suppose this is because of the tray?

4. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

The new iMacs also have the drive at a 90* angle which slows it down as well.

5. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Hah I was wondering what the reason could be

6. ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yes. The optical drive would be faster for all tasks :)

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

While ripping the disc, yes. But transcoding, no. The eMac's G4 is far too slow to transcode a dvd in any reasonable about of time. What you could do is rip the dvd with RipIt, then transfer the resulting folder to an Intell based Mac and use Handbreak to convert it to a playable movie.

9. ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

Does it take long to transcode than rip? Assuming I'm using the terms correctly. I've only successfully ripped a couple of DVD's but I set it and walk away from it - using Handbrake.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Ripping is the process in which the data is pulled directly from the disc and not altered, except for removing the anti-copy stuff. Transcoding is the process in which the dvd's .vob files are turned into a computer friendly video format. Transcoding takes a lot of CPU power. I know on my 2.0Ghz C2D iMac, it takes about 2 hours for every 1 hour of the movie. Where ripping takes about 30 to 45 minutes.

11. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Why have Apple used slower drives on the new Macs? To make them thinner? :rolleyes:

Either way, any minute now the FBI will be raiding the OP's house for daring to talk about transcoding and ripping, regardless of what country s/he's in ;)

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The slim styled slot loading drives have less robust parts and a smaller overhead for the disc at high speeds. With these two things, the optical disc isn't able to spin fast enough.

Ripping optical media for personal use is legal in the United States.

13. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

So they really are sacrificing functionality for the sake of "make it thin!"

I know, just a (rubbish) joke :p

14. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Unless video ripping is involved in the burn then the computer has zero to do with how fast a disk will burn. It's 100% on the burner how fast it will be.