who knows "9236" screens' vendor, spec from Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chrix, Jan 8, 2009.

1. chrix macrumors newbie

I'm a long time PC user also a photograph enthusiast.
    I have decided to buy a mac but still on decision to purchasing MB or MBP.
    I like the size and the portable of MB, but One thing really bothers me is that as many many reviews said, MB's lcd quality is much poor than MBP.
    I went to apple store trying to check them out, I used a MBA as comparison.
    The MBA screen is 9c9a which according to forum it should be ChiMei panel, and the MB screen is 9236 which I have never seen in the forum.
    according to my comparison, viewing angle are truely different, both horizontal and vertical MBA are better, but MB is still acceptable for me. typical use is absolutely fine. But compare dark scene, MB is absolutely washed out, like gray rather than black, MBA is much much better.
    So. As I know, if brightness is fixed, contrast decides darkness of the panel. MB's screen should have lower contrast ratio than MBA's screen, which means I cannot get a dark enough screen if I don't sacrifice brightness. This can't be fixed by calibration.

And I still want to know, what is the vendor of screen "9236", what is its viewing angle, what is its contrast ration as well as max brightness?

Thanks in advance,
    Chrix

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

You need to see them yourself. What looks good to me might not look good to you. Its all personal opinion.

You mentioned photography, well I just found out today that you cant be a photographer unless you have a MacBook Pro.:rolleyes:

There was a website that tells you the vendor of certain panel numbers... Im having a hard time finding it. sorry.. Im sure someone here will have the link

3. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

I have two friends who are getting earning their daily bread being professional photographers and they use Macbooks with their "sub par" screen. Or proofing they simply hook it up to color calibrated monitors.

As for the " 9236" panel. that is the first time I've seen that number. :confused:

4. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I know. I was totally kidding. Just 'taking a shot' at someone earlier arguing that you cant use a MacBook for photography and be serious about it.

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

OMG people are STILL obessessing on panel numbers?

I don't know from panel numbers, but I will say I just bought my GF an MBA for Xmas and her screen, OOB, was totally pale and yellow compared to my unibody MB. Even after calibration, I'd rather look at my screen any time. So much for the MBA having the superior screen...YMMV.

6. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

I hear you on that... My BlackBook's screen looks far better than some of the unibody MacBooks on display in PC world... even after I calibrated all of them to the amazement of the PC World staff whom I don't think realised the MacBooks did more than just the Flurry screensaver.

7. chrix thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you guys.
    I have bought a MBP.
    It looks fabulous.