Who knows a good wireless exteral drive for the MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by capriseyhaze, Mar 4, 2009.

1. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

Ok people looking for a good wireless edrive thag works well with the mbp. The time capsal is dumb exspensive so im looking for something cheaper than that. I dont need crazy space or anything just 60 gigs or better. So let me k ow what yall recomend and the price.

P.s its the 17" unibody 2.93

2. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

As far as I'm aware the only ones that are wireless are the Time Capsule. You can also get a wireless USB hub with an external HDD (like I'm going to soon :p) But that also approaches the price of the TC.

3. cg165 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I don't think it's that expensive for what it is (a wireless n router and hard drive). But if you don't need the space or want to spend that much I can understand. Check out linksys, they might have something. Do you have a wireless router already? What kind if you do and does it have a USB port on it so you can connect an external drive to it

4. capriseyhaze thread starter macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

Oh yea... I have a dlink wireless router some mutimedia one.
    So how does that work? Is the drive usable by the whole house or do you like set it up for one comp?

5. xoggyux macrumors 6502

you have three choices:
    the simplest and probably more expensive (but should also be far more compatible) is time capsule.

your second option, is getting one of those "expensive" router ($100) that have usb ports (just as the airport extreme), make sure it has the usb port and that is compatible with mac, not because its $100+ guarantee it will have the port. Then you can get yourself a regular external HDD 250GB ~ $70 (total project would cost you ~ $170-$200 depending on where you buy it and what brand.

The third and most flexible option you have (however this for sure will get your computer freeze once in a while, this is what I GOT, if you don't mind once in a while having to force quit this will give you more flexibility) is buying the Belkin Networked USB Hub, google it, it has 5 ports and it will connect to the router. your computer (and any other computer) can access to the USB devices wirelessly (assuming you got a wireless router, which you said you do.) The thing is mac drivers are not very stable and it will freeze once in a while. However it will let you connect (5 USB) HDDs, Printers, Scanners, flash memory (up to 16 connections, if you use hubs, however keep in mind some devices make use more than one "connection" such as multifunction printers once connection for scanner one for printer, I got one HDD dock that has card reader and usb hub, and it will use 4 connections) Also keep in mind that only 1 computer can connect to any device at once. (the hub is ~50 only ~90 retail, you going to need also the external HDD ~70 and you got already the router so it will cost you ~$150

I don't know for time machine, or wireless hubs with usb, but the belkin is not particularly fast (~2MB/s speeds, just enough to watch 720p HD movies off it but I don't recommend it for intensive work since transferring 1GB could take you easy half an hour....

6. xoggyux macrumors 6502

actually you got a fourth choice, which i think its going to work best for you, get a NAS such as this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822154195R you can get them for a wide range of price, depending on size, brand, features, etc, you can also get a NAS case then put whatever HDD you want (its gonna cost a bit more, but it offers you more flexibility regarding the HDD used, also you might have an old HDD you can use and save some $$. NAS connects to router via, however I dont know if it will work as a regular (USB for instance) HDD connected directed to the computer (since I read a long time ago, about one that you access via FTP and web browser, dont know if this is the case still.) however if its to save documents even that wil work fine...... Do your homework, those are your 4 options....

7. capriseyhaze thread starter macrumors regular

capriseyhaze