who knows anything about ICE CREAM MAKERS?? HELP!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lechon, Dec 11, 2007.

1. lechon macrumors newbie

does anyone have any experience with icecream makers? i'm giving one as a christmas gift. i have ZERO idea which model to buy. i'm going by a brand i heard on the the radio, cuisinart. they have different icecream makers in different price ranges. i chose the high-end one only cuz i want to give a good one. other than that its all abritrary to me :eek:

Supreme™ Commercial Quality Ice Cream Maker
    [​IMG]

any suggestions on products/brands? ... or features to look for? ... or features/brands/products to stay away from??

thanks.

2. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Have you tried Google for some reviews?

I remember getting a breadmaking/baking machine a few years ago and was facing the same situation as you. Found a number of useful (user) reviews online which made my search considerably easier.

If ice cream makers are anything similar to breadmachines in terms of price vs quality, there'll be a considerable price difference between the cheap and expensive ones. With lots of these machines you get what you pay for in terms of build quality (although sometimes there are some bargains to be found here and there). I ended up going for one of the most expensive consumer-oriented breadmachines which has turned out to be pretty fantastic.

3. saxman macrumors 6502

The only two types of ice cream makers I know of are the old bucket and crank variety and the White Mountain electric. Both of these you have to mix up your ice cream first - I don't know if other ice cream makers help do that for you (I know nothing of cooking).

Although I wouldn't advise giving the manual crank variety as a present - it's hard work, but it makes very good ice cream

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Cheap ones have a bowl which you have to put in (keep in) the freezer for 12-14 hours before you mix the icecream in it. Then the icecream maker will churn it for you. They're probably $100 or less.

Expensive ones have a built-in freezer so that you don't have to get the bowl cold first - but you're looking at triple the price or more in the UK at least. It looks like that's the one you're going for in which case... it's probably a great thing. I've tried one by Magimix which is a Gelato Chef which was pretty good - but not sure if it's available in the US.

There's another Panasonic one which is small so lets you dump the full thing in the freezer and works while it's in there (the downside is that it's operated by proprietary batteries so can be pricey to replace). It got the second highest rating (after the v expensive Gelato one) in a recent UK consumer test. It's usually less than $40 though so worth a stab until you discover how much icecream you usually make.

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

6. ikfsohk macrumors newbie

why not see reviews in amazon.com by the real buyer ?

why not see reviews in amazon.com by the real buyer ?

you seem to need a ice cream maker , but which size or quart of ice cream machine you want ?

you can read reviews & compare between all brands and all size ( 1.5 to 6 quart , any brand )

from amazon.com at these links .

http://astore.amazon.com/cuisinart-1.5-quart-ice-cream-maker-20

http://astore.amazon.com/hamilton-beach-1.5-quart-ice-cream-maker-20

http://astore.amazon.com/rival.4.quart.ice.cream.maker-20

http://astore.amazon.com/rival.5.quart.ice.cream.maker-20

http://astore.amazon.com/rival.6.quart.ice.cream.maker-20

these are bestseller brands . Take a visit . I think it can help U .

7. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

Christmas in July? :D

8. tyranna macrumors regular

tyranna

i was looking at this lello machine a while back but so far, i haven't been able to (really) justify the money i'd spend on it. i still might pick up a model one day because i LOVE ice cream! then again, i might buy beer brewing equipment instead.

;) it's a decision that keeps me up at night!

edit: should this post just be tinned and labeled?

9. jsbarone macrumors regular

10. cookware macrumors newbie

wanna help

hey bro.....i am also new comer in this track and wanna know to about it.......so till now if got something important about the ice cream maker useful than share with me.......!
    Thanks...!

11. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Same here, my magimix was terrible. I have my eye on a Gaggia ice cream machine. I have one of their espresso machines and it has been fantastic.

12. cookware macrumors newbie

ice cream maker

I don't know hw's Gaggia but till now my experience up to with the Cuisinart is best.......!!
    haven't been faced any major problem regarding to that..:)