Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
last year I was looking to buy one, because my Ti-Pb became slow for a lot of things (making scans wich took 30min to finish (just scanning no corrections) so I had an estimate made with a client of mine who allso retails apple... so I could get one as main computer and the Ti-Pb for surfing & on location work...

and 2 days later they stole my Ti-Pb so I had to get a new computer... 1 week later it was here...

and I like my G5... its fast, the scans take 3min now :-D what a difference, programs open very fast, had no crash since I got it, wich is now a little more than a year...

each time I really need a computer on location for a shoot I borrow a friends iBook G4 800 & each time I feel the speed difference ;)

SaleenS351

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2004
California
I love it so far, had it for about a month big step up from my old G3 ibook. Def. the most expensive computer I've ever owned, hopefully it will last quite some time.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
kgarner said:
Wouldn't it be easier to ask who owns one and doesn't like it? Maybe even better to see who owns one and doesn't like it, but not because it is a defective unit.

I bought one back in October and retiurned it 2 weeks later because "it was overrated: I said.

I got a Dual 2.0 with 512MB of Ram, at a glance I said "this is just 30% faster than my 1Ghz 12" Powerbook".

I got the G5 because I had to do a very demanding render in After Effects, so I installed everything onto the G5 and when I started the render it stopped! just at the 5th frame. It didn't say anything about memory it just freaked out. What a performance for a 64bit computer!

So I manage to connect both computers in a network (the G5 and the Powerbook) and vuala! 2 hours later I had my animation ready.

I said to my self, with that money I can get 2 more powerbooks 12" and get a better render engine + I can use them in life performence (because I am a VJ).

I realized that people are usually mistaken just because the speed you like so much come from the Video Ram actually, opening windows is video ram and many graphics operations are base on that.

I never saw a real curve in speed between the G4 and the G5. I work in video production and the studios still using the old quicksilver G4.

The best reviwes are from the iMac G5 wich seems to get the best from the G5 processor but the towers with duals.... I did my own experiment and not.

The day before returning the G5 I made a race between the 1Ghz Powerbook and the tower doing the same render both. The G5 finished in 2 hours 35 minutes while the 12" did it in 3 hours 9 minutes I think... so where was the so called HUGE 64 bits difference? comparing with a dual G4 I would buy that.

Now, the G5 does not offer speed and YOU ARE A HUGE IGNORANT IF YOU THINK SO but processor capacity. A friend of mine is able to run 64 audio channels in his software using all the plugings he wants while the same software (I do not rememeber the name, sorry) can not do that on the PC side.

Still, many people told me to add more ram but... how much do I have to spend on a computer to make it run as it should to beging with?

Sorry, read my signature. A G5 is an overclocked G4 under the hud. Yes is faster tha a G4 bla, bla but how much? way less than 50% and I been good.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Love mine

I have a Rev B. Dual 2GHz PowerMac. Love it to pieces. It has the ATi 9600 and have recently put in an extra 2GB of RAM bringing it to 2.5GB for Tiger.

I love the case, I love the look, I love how its quiet. Two minor things:

1) I often get a repetitive beep or buzz and its in time with data refreshes - i think it may be the graphics card - there's also a faint kiss when i sometimes drags windows. Hardware test reveals no issues - any ideas ppl?

2) With Tiger, the HDD seems to spin down sooner - can you change these settings in the System Preferences? its quite annoying really.

Thanks all - BUY POWER MACS!!

FireArse

iceTrX

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
Outside of Detroit.
1) I often get a repetitive beep or buzz and its in time with data refreshes - i think it may be the graphics card - there's also a faint kiss when i sometimes drags windows. Hardware test reveals no issues - any ideas ppl?

Try changing your performance settings (under energy saver) to automatic or reduced and see if you still hear this.

aaronl23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2005
I am sorry to here about the little mishap from having a G5. I bought one used that has 1.25 on it for free. It is faster than my two old computers a QuickSilver G4 1 GHZ 768 Mb and My Gateway Performance P4 1.3 GHz which I still love even though I am a Mac user. That is the only PC I use besides my Compaq Laptop from work (HEY AT LEAST IT IS A FREEBEE :).

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
aaronl23 said:
I own as of one day an Apple Powermac G5 1.6 Ghz 1.25 gig of ram and an 80 gig hard drive. Should I update even more. It has 10.4.1.

I too have a 1.6 since 3/04, 1.5 GB RAM, 160 HD & LaCie external 80 GB, 10.4.1 & a 20" ACD.

Though a single processor, still mighty fine for my profession.

Sometimes I regret having a single, but when I update my box it will be faster than everyone's 2.7!

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Dual 2.7

Used to own a duallie 2.0 with 2.5gigs of ram, aced that one and now I've stepped up to a 2.7 with 5gigs of ram. Whoooaaaa!! This machine is awsome! :D :D :D
Will never go back to a winslow pc again.

sakasune

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2004
I got my Dual 2.0 with a 1GB of RAM a little under a month ago, freakin' awesome! I've been doing some video encoding on the G5, and it takes about 4 hours (I don't the exact time because I'm away at work/school when it's done). My 12" PowerBook (1 GHz) does the same job in a little over 9 hours!

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
Up until I installed tiger my G5 was the most reliable machine I have ever used. Not to mention the fastest.

dual 2ghz revA, 2gig RAM, ati 9600, dual 23" CD

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I love the PowerMac's, right now I have the energy settings on this on, set to reduced and its so quiet and runs so quickly. This is the best computer in the world.

I have this PM because I will be the Web Master for my school next year, so I'm designing and planning all at once. I need it to be ready for next year.

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
PowerMac G5, best computer ever. I use one at work, actually we have 4 at my office right now all Rev.B Dual 2.0Ghz 1.5Gb RAM, 160Gb HD, Fx5200. All of these are monsters, it was a big improvement from our 400Mhz G4 powermacs running OS9. :)

Nomad

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2005
i have a 1.8 single processor g5, 1.25gb ram, radeon 9600xt 128.

i like it, originally i loved it, but lately its been crashing so often its making me angry. :mad:

it will only crash when i load World of Warcraft. and it will only do it after i have let the machine sit for a while with no useage. once the darn thing crashed 5 times in one day. i also cannot put the machine to sleep as it will never wake-up.

since i live in alaska, we get a dividend from the state every october, so i will be getting a new PowerMac then. one of the more expencive dual processor ones, that dont have as amny problems the single 1.8s do.

:(

bit.shiftr

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2005
Salisbury, North Carolina
New PM...Good Impressions

Have had a new dual 2.7 PowerMac for about a month now. I'm very impressed with it. With Tiger OS X loaded it's a great users box. Easy and Fast! I use it for general office tasks, multimedia work/play, and some light development. I've had no problems with it thus far. My old WINTEL box hasn't been booted now in about two weeks. :eek: I would recommend this PM highly to anyone looking for a computer with this type of performance. :D

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I have the original 1.6Ghz, 80g drive, 768ram. I love everything about it except the noisy hard disk. My MDD G4 PowerMac's drive was a LOT quieter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.