Who likes AT&T and why?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by patricem, Mar 9, 2012.

1. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

Who is choosing ATT over Verizon and why? (Not those that are grandfathered in.)

2. Angler macrumors regular

I like AT&T for the customer service. Blows Verizon away in my opinion.

3. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I completely agree with this statement. AT&T has always given me good customer service.

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Me. Better reception in my area than Verizon.

5. sidgriffey macrumors member

I ordered both versions and need to cancel one soon before they both ship lol. But I can tell you my arguments for each. I, too, would appreciate some help deciding. I live in Los Angeles, by the way, in case that factors into things:

AT&T Pros: Allegedly faster LTE speeds where available, a pretty strong HSPA+ network to fall back on, more bang for your $30 ($30 for 3 GB vs. only 2 GB with VZW), more Wi-Fi hotspots at place like Starbucks and whatnot.

Verizon Pros: A more sensible entry level of $20 for 1GB instead of AT&T's somewhat asinine $15 for 250MB of data entry point, a stronger LTE network with a wider footprint that may prove less patchy than AT&T's and more battle-tested for when everyone and their mother "goes LTE" come iPhone 5 etc., complimentary tethering included in your data plan from 1GB upward, and also while the 3G network is not as strong as HSPA+ (particularly with regard to upload speed) you could make the case it is more steady and reliable.

I really was leaning AT&T until they came out with the hotspot news. The only two hiccups for me are the fewer hotspots and less amazing 3G fallback, but I think on the whole I am THIS close to just cancelling the AT&T order and moving on with the VZW model.

6. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

This is basically the most concise argument for/against each. I am in the same boat using the same logic as above. If Verizon offerred 3GB for $30 it would be a clear choice. But since they don't I'm battling the whole Verizon downside of lesser data for more money and really crappy non-LTE speeds (non-HSPA+).

7. patricem thread starter macrumors 6502

patricem

Verizon 1GB for established customers only?

I just found this on GottaBeMobile

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/03/07/ipad-att-4g-lte-vs-verizon-4g-lte/

I checked with a rep, and new activations are not eligible for the 1GB/$20. Shame, too, as I'd have been all over it. I may call and try anyway.

1 day ago i

Jhgih
    verizon 1gb for $20 is for customers who already had this plan with ipad 2 3g

This makes a big difference!!

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

For years I had an AT&T phone and my wife had Verizon. She's now on AT&T. In my neck of the woods (Chicago) it's the better option.

9. 5aga macrumors 6502

5aga

I see what you did there

10. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

That sucks. Thanks for the heads up.

11. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

Apple advertises it on the pre-order page....I'm sure you can activate the 1GB as a new customer.

12. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

I never had a problem with them so I have no reason to dislike them.. :confused:

13. tsekh macrumors member

It depends on your area. AT&T allegedly has faster LTE network, but perhaps that's because it is less saturated? In any case, Verizon's LTE network coverage is wider.

However, if your area has neither Verizon nor AT&T's LTE coverage, that's another story. AT&T's 3G network (or HSPA+ "4G"...) is much faster than Verizon's 3G network. In previous iPads, Verizon model doesn't have a sim card slot and so won't work outside the US. Not sure if this is still the case for iPad 3, since Verizon utility micro-sim for LTE.

In terms of customer service, my experience with AT&T customer service has been positive so far.

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I had two Verizon Thunderbolts and their 4G service was terrible. It would constantly cut in and out, and this in an area of supposedly great coverage. I had the phones exchanged, troubleshot the problem with Verizon tech support, nothing. It could have been bad phones. With my faux-4G AT&T iPhone I get consistent 2-3Mbps down and 1Mbps up. May not be LTE, but is sure beats 3G and is good enough for both my iPhone AND iPad.

I can't really complain about Verizon customer service (although they didn't fix my problem), but AT&T service has been outstanding so far. I have called a couple of times with billing questions, wanting to make changes to my Dad's phone (non-iPhone) and every time the service has been prompt, courteous, and efficient. I also like the Mark my Spot and My AT&T apps a lot.

I have not experienced AT&T's 4G LTE yet, but HSPA works just fine for my needs. I am not streaming movies over cellular anyway. I can't afford THAT. :cool:

15. xraytech macrumors 68020

I agree, plus I have solid reception in my area and LTE just launched and it screams. Also, don't foget AT&T 3G is faster that Verizon 3G.

16. beret9987 macrumors regular

Excellent Customer Service in my experience. Always very efficient and go the extra mile to resolve any of the issues I have with my service or bill. Also, service in most places I frequent is excellent and can handily beat Verizon in sheer data speed.

And, I REALLY like the Any Mobile, Any Time feature. Being a former Sprint customer, I relied on this heavily to make sure I never went over on my minutes and am glad to see another national carrier pick up said feature.

17. whawhat macrumors 6502

They offer cheaper data plans (for iPhone and IPad)

18. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

I went with AT&T for better coverage and faster speeds in my area. Also, for the lower price (3GB instead of 2GB for $30. So what if Verizon has LTE here later this year at those caps? HSPA+ with 3GB is still better than LTE with 2GB!) Far superior customer service, and a store you can go into and get help rather than condescending idiots who lie up and down to get a sale is a nice perk also!

19. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

• Cheaper plans
    • Microcell tower - was free
    • Great customer service

20. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The vast majority of Verizon's customers remain on its 3G network so I don't think its truly battle tested just yet. However, there are a ton of people on AT&T's 3G and HSPA+ network -- and those services are great. AT&T's network has always sucked for calls (getting a little better) but data service has always been stellar in my experience.

The hotspot feature is cool, but the iPad is a device I'd rather have hotspot service provided *to* from another device.

21. TB07-NJ, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012

TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Never mind .... responded to a 6 week old message in error!

22. nfl46 macrumors 603

AT&T. It just has always worked for me. I haven't had any problems. I've been with them for years.

23. albertxp06 macrumors regular

I like AT&T because they use a GSM phones and I can get 6Mpbs down on 3G where I live (better service than VZW)

24. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Because they provide the best service in my area.

IMO...that is all that should matter.

25. sekazi macrumors 6502

I bought a Verizon iPad just because it has more connectivity options. This was a mistake imo. It is mediocre at best. I get a amazing 0.28 Mbps down at work on 3G. LTE when it is working gives me varying results. I have had 22 Mbps down but also 1 Mbps down on LTE. Most of the time it does not work at all and have to disable LTE to get any internet.

Package this together with the fact if I decide to use AT&T until I am in a area with no service I am forced to pay for a Verizon sim if I can even get one just because they decide it has been inactive for too long.

I have used AT&T HSPA+ on my iPad and it is great speed. I have gotten around 9 Mbps on it. I have also cancelled that account several times and still can use the sim. If I did that with Verizon I would no longer have a sim.

Once my month is up I will be reactivating my AT&T sim in my PS Vita and using it on my iPad again. Verizon is too slow.

I kind of wish I bought a AT&T iPad now. I actually preordered the AT&T and cancelled it for the Verizon for the additional connectivity options.