Who likes dongles?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hyloba, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Hyloba macrumors 6502

Would anyone prefer dongles over some extra millimeters for the upcoming mbp? I'm still debating if I should just get the 2015 version, but the damn prices haven't lowered one currency unit in my country since introduced in early 2015.

As it stands, I would need a dongle for: several usb type a, hdmi, sd card reader, displayport, vga, possibly ethernet. This will not only make my setupt look like a total mess, but I would need to buy that stuff twice, both for home and work use, unless I always take them with me. But I guess I will need to bring some of them with me all the time because who has usb type c devices already? And dongles are expensive!

Maybe in the future every device will have a usb type c connection, or will eventually be wireless, but that future is not now, and will certainly not be in a few years as the world always lags several years behind in terms of technology adaptation.

2. jerryk macrumors 68030

Cables maybe, but that has not changed in decades. Most monitors you buy now have Display Port, HDMI and other inputs and a lot come with the cables. 2015 rMBPs have SD card slots, HDMI ports, 2 USB 3 (backward compatible with USB 2) ports. Ethernet is your choice, assuming WiFi is also available.

I carry my laptop to and from work and home, and only take the power adapter with me.

3. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Airplay works great. I wish a projector maker would license it. Only other wireless display I have seen that works as well is the Barco stuff.

4. Workerbee Redux macrumors regular

Wait for the introduction of the new models and buy the 2015, it will come down in price for a time till it is sold out.

USB-C is the future standard, though.

5. ljjycss macrumors member

ljjycss

Even 2015 model doesn't have VGA and a lot of USB-A ports. If ports are really that important to you and you don't want dongle, I know HP has ZBook 17 mobile workstation featuring all those connections you mentioned excluding DP. Yes, it has VGA for legacy support. Not a lot of workstations today still have VGA. It also has thunderbolt 3/USB-C.

6. FatherJack1980 macrumors regular

FatherJack1980

Well, this guy ...

[​IMG]

but then again, he thought the word "dongle" meant something pervy! ;)

But I'm not fond of the idea of having to carry around a dongle for my everyday needs. One of the reasons why I'll never buy a MacBook - one of the other reasons is I want a big screen, not 12"

.......aaaannnnd he thinks I'm talking about him now

[​IMG]

:)