Who loves their High res 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Apr 27, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I have a 15" HR antiglare, and I love it. sick of the glass and reflections, but i'm at the 12 day mark of having it, and sometimes the 1680x1050 is harsh on my eyes at night when i'm relaxing. Not so much at the desk but when I'm sitting in bed. I dunno, i have two days left to exchange it for a standard res model but i'm not sure i want to return to glare and all that. and the res bump makes things sharper so idk...

2. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Check out some of my posts on the topic. Right now there seems to be a lot of discussion on the topic, tons of details in other threads, check it out.

3. millertalent macrumors newbie

hey :)

I usually dont say much on macrumors but I had to comment on this thread!
    My 15" high res mac is my first one ever and I absolutely love the screen! :)

At the desk it is perfect for my work. But i totally agree with you that when i'm in bed i have to wear my glasses to see the screen in focus. With my old computer this was never an issue. But other then that one flaw I absolutely love how crisp everything looks, and I cant imagine not having that resolution and knowing it is out there lol.

But thats just my 2 cents :)

4. nimski62 macrumors regular

You might want to consider trying to turn the backlight down at night. That's what usually hurts my eyes, if anything. These screens are BRIGHT~!

5. FangBianMian macrumors member

FangBianMian

I'm 1.5 days into glossy HR ownership and I'm absolutely besotted with it. It took a while to adjust coming from an '09 13" MBP but once it clicked it was heaven. If I feel a little strain when reading lots of text online late at night I simply just bump up the font size in Safari...I don't get why people are whinging really...the additional space it gives overall easily outweighs any easily changed fonts/type issues.

I've had both 17" and 13" MBP's before and always disliked 15"s, because the overall res seemed...ummm...well just wrong. v.subjective.

I took a risk ordering it without seeing one in the flesh but boy oh boy I was right to trust Apple and my instinct.

As long as Apple offer 1680 x 1050 on the 15" I will never even think about getting a different size. Watching some HD episodes of The Pacific last night and using Photoshop all day Today has been wonderful. They hit the nail on the head with this.

6. stodge macrumors member

I started dropping the resolution to 1440 at night when I'm tired. I can always flip it back to 1080 during the day when my eyes are healthier.

7. safelder macrumors member

I'm loving mine. I came from a 14" T60p SXGA+, so was a little disappointed with the previous gen resolutions as compared to screen size (basically, my old 14" screen had higher vertical resolution than the stock 15" MBP, and way higher than the comparable 13" size). I feel like I'm where I should be with the high res 15" (but would love even more pixels, as the vertical resolution is now only equivalent to what my old 14" Thinkpad had).

I went with the glossy, as I preferred it to the matte. On this, to each his/her own.

8. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

I hated how the AG high-res screen looked on the internet. I got to apple, and walked out with one I was so impressed. Really makes the computer more than just a toy, a more useful tool.

9. choco macrumors member

choco

well it's nice to know that some people are enjoying it! the impression i get from these forums is that hi-res screens are a huge mistake, which makes my order that is yet to arrive seem like the worst thing i could have done. the fact that it's difficult on tired eyes is a reason for concern for me though... :confused:

10. a4209797 macrumors member

dosent it look distorted if it's not the native res?

11. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

I absolute love the HR AG, I won't go back to glossy...ever again. The resolution....yes, a little too small but because I keep switching which monitors I'm looking at. I have a 24" plugged into the MBP. On the other hand, when I'm using just the laptop, I love the extra pixels.

12. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

I love my high res and I haven't even received it yet!

13. f2tai macrumors newbie

15" glossy hi res.. this mac rocks!

had the white macbook and the i7 mbp makes it look like a kid's laptop .. :eek:

14. cschwartzy macrumors newbie

My new high end high res 15 is very impressive. This is my first Mac and I have no regrets. I am loving it for work (Professional Video editing) and play!

15. fuzzylemurs macrumors member

You'll find just as many arguments that the low-res is the mistake... Take delivery of yours, make your own decision... I am loving my HR 15" (glossy) personally.

16. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I adore my HR glossy. I have no issues with reflection, but then again, I always face it with a pretty normal angle. Living room, side/back lights, I don't get the reflection/glare that people seem to be harping about.

The higher res really makes things nice, I have the extra space to get away with working on graphics that I normally do on my 1900x1200 resolution 24" monitors. :)

17. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I'm coming from a 2008 MacBook Unibody and I must tell you that it took a day to get used to the huge footprint of the 15, plus the inevitably smaller looking everything in hi-res. But as I get more used to it, I'm starting to prefer it over my MacBook for the following reasons:

• Paperwhite screen -- despite the various reports that you're reading here about the screen, let it be known that this screen is brighter than you might expect. :)
    • Precision trackpad -- the MBP trackpad is a great improvement over previous ones. It feels far more precise and does not jump unnecessarily all over the place, like before. :cool:
    • Screen real-estate -- once you get used to seeing so much of of your browser windows, you won't be able to go back. If you don't like small fonts, you can adjust them in many programs, like NetNewsWire or Firefox. But you'll see a heck of a lot more too. :eek:
    • Cooler -- My i5/7200rpm CTO rarely goes above 2400rpm on the fans, and it's mostly at the 2000rpm rate, even with Firefox and TweetDeck running. Right now my MacBook's fan is running at 6200rpm and that is without me touching it! :rolleyes:
    • Scrolling -- That inertia scrolling is dah boss, foshizzle! :p

18. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

perfectly awesome hi-res 15" anti-glare here. It's a dream!

19. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

20. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

21. stodge macrumors member

I haven't noticed any distortion but fonts don't look as smooth.

22. koolrosh macrumors newbie

koolrosh

Not to sound stupid but if you buy the HiRes screen, can you drop the resolution so that the fonts won't be so "small"?