who loves their Refurbished mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bntz313, Nov 6, 2007.

1. bntz313 macrumors 6502

I bought a Refurbished 17in mackbook pro, and let me tell you that it is very nice. No problems, I was just wondering how many people like their refurbished mac.

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'm sure there are people who love their refurbished Macs:p

When you first got your refurbed Mac, did you do a thorough inspection? Check for any possible scratch or marking? One of the things that kept me from going refurbed was the fear of physical scars (and the fact that I wanted a newly updated machine :p).

3. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

for sure. I took it out the box and checked everything, Looked brand spanky new

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well that's good to hear. Refurbed machines are a really good deal if you're low on cash; they're better than the EDU discount (I qualified for that, which was another reason why I didn't go refurbed this time around).

Anyways, I'll let others comment on their refurbed machines now. :p

5. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

The only thing stopping me from buying a refurb Mac was the fact the the education discount ended up being only about $100 more (for a MBP) and I just love that new Mac smell (plus I bought it at one of the retain stores...couldn't help myself)

6. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

i had four original core duo macbooks. each one i received i sent back, and stuck with my trusty ibook g4, until the core 2 duo's came out. then i bought used!

i think it was just a rev. a type problem and would not prevent me from purchasing again.

7. freewill macrumors newbie

Last week, I got a refurb MBP 17" high res, matte (also a refurb iPhone a few months back). Couldn't tell if the MBP had ever been touched or not. No problems with it except some backlight bleed on the bottom of the screen, which I take to be not uncommon and hasn't bothered me much.

Now I'm just trying to decide whether I made the right choice in terms of the 17" MBP's large footprint. Despite the 10% restocking fee, I'm toying with exchanging for a 15 MBP or updated MB.

Anyway, I give refurbs a strong thumbs up! Especially if you're not eligible for the education discount.

8. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I love my refurb Power Mac. Came with an upgraded hard drive and additional memory. I love free bonuses. :)

I also have a refurb nano that is flawless.

9. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

I could have gotten the edu discount. I'm really poor so just coming up with the money for the refurb was almost to much, which i had to sell my Akai MPC to fund it. the 2.33 vs. 2.4 wasnt really a big step to make me pay extra. Plus I dont always need whats the newest.

10. Stratification macrumors regular

I love my refurb MacBook. No difference I can see between it and a brand new one, except for a couple hundred extra dollars in my pocket.

11. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

I had a refurb MBP of the last gen. It came in brand new condition and I was VERY pleased with it! I would have gotten another but I wanted a current gen RIGHT THEN. To get current stuff you have to wait (of course) for them to become refurbs...other than that, they are great deals!

12. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

Refurbished is not bad.

For many of these Systems they were new and returned unopened. What happens say a school ordered 2500 Macs, they only need 2000 but order the 500 in case there were any problems with them so they can finish their project in time. Once they were done They return say 100 Bad Macs and 400 Good unopened Macs (probably not getting the full amount back). Because the 400 Good Macs have been purchased->shipped then returned they cannot sell them as new. So they open them up Do some checks to see if there are any problems and resell on the Refurbished market. For the 100 Macs they may have been turned on and didn't load up correct, say something simple like a loose hard drive cable, so they fix it and put it on the refurbished. But there are also system with intermittent problems or phycial scares that get put back on the market and slip threw the cracks, Which is possible because refurbish often go threw similar QA Checking that new ones did and they slipped threw the cracks once they can again.

13. p33 macrumors member

Loose cable? On a (1/2)500+ machine?...
    Hmm... Interesting.

14. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

just put leopard on my mbp today, I like it and it looks better but don't really notice a difference between this and tiger. But I am new to apple.