Who Makes the Best Treadmill Desk?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by YoYoMa, Feb 16, 2015.

1. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

Have read a bunch of reviews, but would love some opinions on this. Right now I'm considering the UpLift 900 and the Thermodesk Elite. Looking for something around 80" wide, high quality wood, electric high quality/stable base, but no more than 1.5k, as the treadmill is an additional 1k.

2. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Wow, I didn't know such a thing existed. I just spent the last 15 minutes reading about them and watching videos. Interesting idea, but I wonder if the (slight) bouncing motion would make it difficult to read the monitor after awhile.

Have you tried one yet?

Bryan

3. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

Haven't tried it yet, but know I'm gonna love it. :) Haven't heard of anyone not liking them thus far, and I know I'd love to get some exercise in while working.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I guess I'm an out-of-shape neanderthal, but I can't see why anyone would spend $1.5 thousand for a computer stand they're going to use on a treadmill for a few minutes a day...

What are the practical applications?

5. campyguy macrumors 68030

OP, I'm in the market for a sit-stand desk and maybe a treadmill. There's only one brand for treadmills that I can find that are suitable IMO - the 3 LifeSpan units, and I'm looking at the DT1200.

As to the desks, I'm not totally sold on a sit-stand option yet and am considering a standing (only desk). I've asked around my friends and clients and have gotten the feedback that they're usually set to one height and never changed. I'm a bit unusual in my needs as I'm about 6'7", and most of the sit-stand desks aren't "tall enough" for me or are seriously wobbly at full extension. I'm experimenting with a butcher block (IKEA Gerton) suspended between two adjustable shelving units to get the height right for me.

Two of my friends chose the UpLift 900, and that's the unit I've chosen to buy if I go that route. The three reasons: it's tall enough for me (and my friends), it has multiple motors to lift/lower the desk, and it's the only unit in the bunch that has a 5-year warranty on the motors (I think that the other two UpLift desks do as well).

I need to get off my a$$ more often, and my DIY solution is working for now. The UpLift will look better to my clients when they come in, tho'... :D

6. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

You walk on it while you work.... all day.

7. riseboi macrumors member

I've had the Ikea Bekant sit/stand desk for @ 2 weeks now and I love it so far. It's taken some getting used to but Ive had a Focal Mogo leaning stool to help get acclimated to standing for longer periods. I do find myself shifting my weight alot as I don't like to stand still for too long so I could see myself getting a treadmill in a couple of months.

8. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

I went with the Uplift 950 three leg base and put two Ikea Gerton wood desk tops on it to form an "L". Paid around $740 for the legs and another $160 for the table tops. Works great with lots of work space.

If you don't need an "L" shaped desk, I was seeing the 2 leg set for under $500. (There were some coupons I was able to use that weren't advertised but worked). This was back in December.

9. campyguy macrumors 68030

I've got a question about the Bekant's warranty, I asked at IKEA but couldn't get a straight answer. I read that the Bekant line is warranted for 10 years, but couldn't find whether that covers the motor for that period of time. Do you have an idea of how long the motor is covered? Thanks in advance.

And, which desk did you get - the single plank or the L-shaped top?

My stool of choice right now is the Håg Muvman, with the longest shaft extension.

----------

This is exactly the path to a sit-stand desk I'm planning. Good call! The two Dell P2715Q monitors I ordered to put on the desk are on their way!

10. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

Nice! I picked up a single P2715Q recently as well and it seems like a good monitor. Just a little yellow overall, so I'm getting a replacement. I have a 27" iMac as well as some 23" Dell monitors for work. My wife calls my desk "The Command Center".

I think you'll like the Uplift legs. I'm slightly annoyed you can buy the 2 leg set for $470 and for one more leg it's another $300. If you don't truly need the "L" shape, consider going for the two leg option. I lose a lot of "reachable space" in the far corner of the L, but I'm ok with that.

11. campyguy macrumors 68030

Thanks for the tips - I've been waffling over the 2-leg or 3-leg options and I think you've pushed me, constructively, to the 2-leg option.

My turn to help you. My situation here at the home office is that I'll have the two Dell monitors, my rMBP, and an iPad so I looked to a combination of monitor arms even though the P2715Q has a pretty sweet stand. I've got it narrowed down to either the Herman Miller Flo Dual or Modular or Ergotron LX Dual Stacking Arm (the latter ships with a laptop adapter), plus a Flo or LX Desk Mount LCD Arm to complement the pair. You might consider one of those units for your "corner" device - both the Flo and LX units are really nice and not too expensive.

Funny that you mention the "Command Center". I've heard that comment from my clients too - they pay the bills, so if the comment comes from them or my GF I just smile and bite my tongue... :D

12. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

Is it wrong I'm considering throwing a 40" 4k TV in that corner just to use up the space? :D

I do feel like I need to look into monitor stands just to clean up the desk space a bit. The iMac is great being an all in one with a single power cable, but my work space is a mess with a PC laptop, dock, video cables, power cables for the monitors, etc. I need to clean up that mess...

That all said, the sit-stand option is the king of work spaces. Standing for long periods of time really isn't good for you, nor is sitting. I found an article not too long ago about the 135 degree slouch position as the best seated position to alleviate back strain. I've been doing this for years, but always thought I was just slouching! Next up: Recliner Work Space!!

13. campyguy macrumors 68030

I have a 40-inch HDTV in my open space. I haven't told my GF, and use the HDTV for watching videos on ESPN and Bleacher Report - I won't tell if you don't! :D

As to the morass (or mess?) of cables, I agree with you. I like the Flo display arm, but it really only hides the cables to supply my displays and computer. If you figure something out that's more elegant, let me know!!!!!

Several years ago, I bought the ultimate Lazy-Boy recliner, and I still love it. Reclining. Heater. Vibration. A remote to control it all. It's the end of my workday. I think I need to go sit down in it...

I've been chided for slouching in the past, but for 30 years or so I've been taller than 99% of the people I know. Working from a recliner would solve the slouching thing!

14. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

For me, that's just asking to be distracted and fall.

If you're in the US, Staples sells them.