who makes the motherboard, is it intel?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by LeandrodaFL, Dec 11, 2011.

1. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Who makes the Macs motherboard, they are an unique model, right? Intel? Asus?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

If you are looking for Windows chipset drivers, just use Intel's site. The chipset should be automatically recognize as the HM65.

4. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Intel does the initial design for a chipset/processor variation. Essentially "here is everything to do for a motherboard".
    Apple would then take that info and design their own board. Typically for form factor and other I/O.
    Then I think Foxconn does the board assembly.

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Apple designs the motherboards and then Foxconn makes them using standard components. Apple does not like adding extra bits on top of what the Intel chipset provides, hence why we don't have support for things eSATA and USB 3. There are obviously a couple of other bits and bobs, like the wifi chip, but I am not sure who makes these. I suppose you could check out one of the disassembly sites - they usually list a lot of this info or study the diagrams and google the model numbers on the bits that you can see.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

It might help to know why the OP is asking about it and what they are trying to do.

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Actually, eSATA works out of the box with OS X and USB3 is activated simply by installing a readily-available kext. Of course, you still need the ports.

8. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL