Who needs a notebook anymore??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stewonder, Oct 14, 2008.

1. stewonder macrumors newbie

I have been a happy owner of a iBook G4. I'm looking to upgrade so enjoyed the keynote today. The new MB's are gorgeous computers. But in the UK are a little more than i have saved up to spend on my new notebook.

Then i started thinking, since i bought an iphone how many times have i used my ibook in portable mode. The only times i could think was when i unplugged it to flex the battery. Most of the time i watch/listen to iphone video. I use the internet on my phone everywhere - bed, work, in the car = on my phone. Even when i'm sat at my ibook i use the email on the iphone.

The only time i would really need a notebook is for a (rare) presentation - but couldn't i buy an iphone video cable for these times or even email the presentation ahead of me??

The imac seems to be very good value, for me, at this moment. How would an imac compare to the new base premium MB?

I need new peripherals at the moment and the included mouse is another saving. Are the speakers in an imac any good?

Come to think of it could you ditch the desktop by hooking an iphone up to a cinema display fulltime?? (just a thought)

Anyone else feel like an iphone has made their bulky notebook redundant?

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I'd much rather type on a notebook than on an iPhone. Ditto with surfing, watching films, etc. Both have their place, but if I had to pick one, I'd pick the laptop.

3. gospel9 macrumors regular

It might sound crazy but I actually use my iPhone as much as I use my notebook (unless I am doing work).

Because of this I also don't really see a reason to get a low end laptop ... and definitely nothing smaller than 13".

4. stewonder thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. Why get the low end notebook - when a 20" screened imac would now better serve my needs. I would never view my laptop from 10ft away whereas i can see myself even watching the imac like a regular TV - with my iphone as remote.

Apple must have thought about this. As the iphone gets better I can see it being a real threat to the macbooks - for consumer stuff.

Is there still a big power gap between desktops and laptops - like there has been historically. Is an imac really just a notebook in disguise?

5. dougnewman macrumors 6502

My notebook is my sole computer, and I frequently use it in places where desktops won't work... For example, on my lap in the living room half-watching TV, or, as I am right now, in bed.

So I need a notebook. Or at least, I want a notebook.

And yes, an iMac is in many ways a notebook in disguise. Or, as some have suggested, a blade server with a display stuck on it.

6. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

You have a good point sir, which is also why I may not buy a new notebook yet.

I have the last Powerbook G4 12-inch. I still use it sometimes for the internet in different parts of the house.

However, I hardly ever open it up anymore. Why? My iMac. I prefer working at my desktop with my iMac and ACD. Plus, usually when I travel now I just use my iPhone.

For me, as gorgeous as notebooks are (especially Apple's) I just don't have much of a place for one now. I mean, does it make sense to spend $1500+ just for a toy?

7. gospel9 macrumors regular

Do they email you when it's actually shipped...
    I have never ordered from the online store before.

And that's pretty fast...!

8. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I use my iphone all the time.

I use my Mac Pro when I am home allot.

Use my MacBook Pro almost never.

9. drewx2 macrumors newbie

I use my Mac Pro and Macbooks almost equally. I had an iPhone but got rid of it when the 3Gs came out and switched to a HTC Touch Diamond. Apple makes awesome computers, but once the wow factor wears off, that phone blows compared to a good windows mobile device (and I hate using windows too!).

Sharing my internet connection to my Macbook took but 30 secs to do with my HTC Touch Diamond. Can you even do that now with the iPhone?

10. kenned macrumors member

Well it uses notebook parts, except for the HDD, which is the main difference between Laptops and Desktops. The iMac uses a 3,5" 7200rpm HDD, most notebooks have a 2,5" 5400RPM HDD.

The difference in processing speeds are there, Dual cores Vs. Quad cores, but the C2D processors are already overkill for most people.

The iMac also uses a Notebook graphics card. But if you don't need the faster graphics don't worry, it'll be more than fast enough.

11. tinfai macrumors member

Very good observation. When I think about my own usage, I would agree that I have used my macbook less now that I have acquired an iPhone, especially when it comes to toting it around outdoors. It has been completely relegated to duties at home as my iPhone does most of my on-the-go internet and email work.
    /
    /
    /

12. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

I think desktop usage would drop before notebook usage. For the low to average user, I think notebooks are acting as desktop replacements. Out of the 25 or so households I've been to recently, desktops are only used as hand-me-downs to the children.

While I am holding off on an iPhone until a 32gb version is released, I don't think my MacBook usage will decrease at all.

13. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

I have only a MacBook and no desktop (Aside from my MacMini that serves a a media center.) and I have an iPhone. While the iPhone comes in handy for things like chatting or just checkung emails, I much prefer my MacBook for all other tasks. All my computers have been notebooks, because I like the fact that I can just pack my computer and take it with me. Comes in handy on vacations or long train rides.
    But I can understand, that if you already have a desktop computer and an iPhone, a notebook becomes redundant.

14. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Agree 100% with this post.

15. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i have an iPhone to talk on , a MBP to work on and a Netbook to take around and surf the internet on when i'm out and about.

if Apple do release an Netbook
    ala Asus/HP/Eee
    then
    White plastic like old Macbook
    10" screen
    1.6 Atom
    1Gb ram
    120Gb hdd
    £399-450 -

i'd think Apple would then soak up alot of the netbook market at these prices , and then churn these new customers onto the Macbook and Macbook Pro

i run 10.5 hackintosh on my netbook and i find it very very usefull as a bridge between iPhone and MBP

16. dougnewman macrumors 6502

I don't really see that happening, Apple isn't into low-margin products like that. Just look at how it's neglected the Mac mini recently.

17. killianb macrumors regular

killianb

I agree that with the iPhone, e-mailing and surfing the web on the move is much easier. But who ever takes their notebook out JUST to read e-mails and surf the web?

I don't see notebooks becoming obsolete, certainly not in the near future. And I have always owned notebooks. I am currently using a MBP and before that a MB. When switching to Mac, I went from a notebook to an iMac and although I it was one of the best decisions I've made, I still missed the portability, even for simple things like typing up a Word document in the garden on a nice day -- the iPhone would never do for this because the keyboard is just too small for anything more than short e-mails and text messages.

18. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I just use my notebook so I can look like a douchenozzle at starbucks, other than that it sits collecting dust.

I use my iphone for internet, email, music, games, on the go.

Do I all my real computer work on a Mac Pro workstation, only have a laptop to work at clients locations and I have found that I rarely if ever used it for that.

19. JoeDRC macrumors 6502

Get an iMac then, you get more for your money spec wise.
    Its all down to your needs, some of us need laptops more than others do.

Personally, as soon as i get an iMac, i'll be using my macbook for photoshop on the go and lounging infront of my tv or when i'm in bed.

20. eGraeme macrumors member

um
    YES!
    huh LO!
    *incredulous look*
    lol

21. stewonder thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies...

It is subjective. The new macbooks are very nice. The imac is very attractive.

Over the past five years i have urged many friends and family to switch over to notebooks (mainly windows). Now i am seriously contemplating going back to a desktop. *If only* the imac could be packing into my case and used as a giant iphone when away from the desk.

I'm still pondering the switch. I too love packing my ibook up for travel - but find recently that the iphone is much handier on these occasions.

22. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Hmmm, i wonder if there is such a machine.... all the features of an imac, but smaller to fit into a case..... and could be used away from a desk......

why havent apple made this product!!!

hehe

23. phuong macrumors 6502a

i wish they made a laptop the size and weight of a netbook but with a 17" screen or larger.

24. mathieuheartmac macrumors member

I'm surprised that someone would spend up to $1300 on a notebook if they aren't going to do more than what they do on their iPhone.

25. subq macrumors member

I disagree. I've gone through a bunch of smart phones and the iphone is the best one I've used (in general, they all have pros and cons). My only major complaint is the lack of user replaceable battery because the battery life is terrible (which is to be expected on such a device).

I don't hate windows, XP Pro is my main desktop OS with four 24" monitors and it is nice and solid...does everything I need it to do. That being said, I am not so happy with the winmo phones we still have in use (in comparison to the iphone).