Who needs to go to the AT&T store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jason S., Sep 29, 2008.

1. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

The account my family has with at&t is in my mother's name, however, each of our names comes up on the bill and on their website under our phone numbers.

Does my mom have to be there with me to buy the iPhone and its plan? I'd like to go today, but only dad would be able to go today. If I need my mom I'll have to wait until this weekend, which isn't a big deal, but I'm anxious! ;)

Also, I have a drivers license, so since my name is under my number on the account, would that be fine?

I don't see a problem, especially since you can edit your plan online anyway, but I want to be sure before I head out to the store.

Thanks for the help!

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Your mother has to make you an "authorized user" on the account. In other words, you can have you name on the account but can be still be prevented from upgrading your phone or making account changes. It all depends on how you're set up.

Best thing to do is call 611 and see what your status is on the account. Ask them if you can upgrade your phone. If they say yes, then you're good to go. If not, your mother needs to call and give you that authorization.

3. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

If you are an authorized user you will be fine, don't listen to anyone telling you you must be 18, blah blah. I went to AT&T, and they just checked my ID to make sure I was who I claimed to be. Left the store with my phone in hand, no problem.

4. Jason S. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey, thanks for the replies!

I was able to add both myself and my dad as authorized users on the account on at&t's site using my mom's account.

I'm going to go out to the store later today! :D

EDIT: One more question... The site says I'm not eligible for an upgrade until about Nov. 26th. Do you think they could pull some strings at the AT&T store, considering that's less than 2 months away? We've been with them since before they changed to Cingular, at least 6 years.

5. shelbias macrumors member

unfortunately, no. my BF was not eligible for the iPhone 3G until Aug 26, a little over 1 month after the launch and AT&T stuck to that. he called and called and called and they didn't budge.

it takes a VP's approval to let anyone get the iPhone before their eligibility date. so that's 5 levels above a store manager.

good luck!

6. Jason S. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can anybody else confirm this?

After reading some other threads, it seems that some people have been able to successfully buy one a little bit before their eligibility date.

7. Jason S. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just wanted to post an update. I did get the phone, infact I am posting from it right now. For anyone else who wants an iPhone and is very near to your eligibilty date there is a possible chance that they can do something for you.