Who owns an iPhone AND a Touch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Sep 18, 2008.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I'm curious as to the level of self delusion required to justify purchasing a Touch if one already owns an iPhone.

I fondled a Touch yesterday in the Apple crackhouse store. It's the sleekest slab of cool on the planet. I wanted to lick it. It was all I could do to leave the store without one.

2. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I don't yet, but will soon. As an iPhone developer though, I kinda sorta have to! :)

3. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

Yeah, sure you do. Keep telling yourself (and your SO) that. ;)

Hey, maybe I could be your beta tester. I'll work for free. All you gotta do is send me a Touch!

4. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I own both. That way I can keep my phone charged when traveling. I currently use the iPhone 3G 16GB and an iPod Touch 32GB.

5. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Funny, that's exactly what my conscience was telling me. Pesky little thing.. ;)

(And I don't have a SO. So I'm free to go out and buy an iTouch, and have a Magnificent Other! :p )

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I'm curious as to the level of arrogance required to assume that owning both is self delusional.

I'm in the same boat at whooleytoo. As an iPhone App developer, I have an iPod Touch as my development / testing platform. My iPhone is for "production". But I was lucky enough to have won my iPod Touch so that I was afforded this luxury.

7. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

Wait, I'm arrogant because you won a contest? LOL. That's rich. You just admitted owning both is a luxury. Come on Sybil, make up your minds.

8. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

Yeah, I'd love a 32GB. But until the Touch can replace my 160GB Classic in terms of capacity, thus enabling me to sell the 160, I'll never get it past the Guard (GF). Of course, the 160 will probably die before there's a 160GB Touch, and by then I'd probably need a 200GB anyway.

9. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Unless the Classic had an "accident" then the GF would have to let you replace it. :D

10. spaceaged macrumors newbie

I got my girlfriend a Touch for Christmas. Eight months later she got a 2nd generation iPhone from work.

11. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

I am considering buying the new iPod Classic and a nice stereo for my room, so I don't have to use my iPhone for music while at home. Might be a little redundant, but I think it would be more convenient.

12. Amt macrumors regular

I have both. Though, the iPod Touch came from buying an iMac. ;P

13. nparmelee macrumors 6502

We have both, we don't always want to use up iPhone battery for some iPod things or for apps so we use the iPod Touch to listen to podcasts in the car and various other things. Some of us like to use our phones as phones. Yes we also use the iPhone for apps and internet, but if we want to listen to something and we don't have to worry about carrying an extra device, then the iPod Touch is great. We also have a couple of nanos too, those have times when they are really useful too.

14. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

I have both, useful for me at work

iPod Touch sits on a docking station playing music all day
    iPhone stays with me so I can make/receive calls and a bit of surfing

15. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

I was totally expecting a different outcome to that.

16. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

i think having 2 is probably quite common

the thing is with the new firmware upgrade my battery life is so much better that I dont, personally, see the need for me to have both.

Before that I was seriously considering both and currently before the upgrade I was carrying round my nano/classic for music and the iphone for calls and video

Just my view but I think it wholly depends on your usage

oh and from a mac addict point of view if you're looking for that push GO BUY IT!!! you deserve it :D:D
    d:apple:

17. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

both.

dont have a good excuse either. i got the original iPhone on iDay '07, got the touch when it came out because it looked cool, and got the 3G on iDay '08

the iPhone ended up as a hand-me-down, but i still use the touch around the home for music / iTunes remote when my computer is hooked up to my TV and such things.

18. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Just got the touch as well and have the iphone 3G.
    Gonna use the touch for around the house and the gym

19. i0Nic macrumors 65816

I just came to this thread to say...

iTouch iTouch iTouch iTouch iTouch

:D

20. phantomsd macrumors 6502

phantomsd

LOL. NICE.

21. firewood macrumors 604

I got a Touch as a holiday gift, and I use it for music and such so that I don't run the battery down on my iPhone as much.

It's sort of like having a spare battery, if you can divide your usage roughly evenly.

22. iSaga macrumors regular

I personally don't see the point, if I was going to get something else I would probably just get the nano. Right now the 16GB ipod that the iPhone is suits my needs just fine though. To own the iPhone and touch seems a bit excessive to me and pointless.

23. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

No, you're arrogant because you assume anyone owning both is self-delusional. And just because you have something that's a luxury, doesn't mean you're self-delusional. Perhaps you're just lucky. Or you use them for different purposes. Or a myriad of other possible reasons that you probably would scoff at.

24. gowanis macrumors 6502

i bought the touch first and decided to get the iphone when i realized there was pretty much no free wifi to be found. now i use the touch mostly as a docked music player, but i also paid the $10 for the 2.0 upgrade so i could load my apps.

25. Wolf103FM macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I had the touch first (January) then got the 3G at launch. both 16GB