Who owns this fm transmitter? Need help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WannaApple?, Jan 2, 2009.

1. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

So, after reading some reviews here, as well as on the website I ordered it from, I ordered this fm transmitter for my iphone:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13234

I got it last week, however I cant figure out how to get it to work. I dont believe it came with any sort of instruction manual. I believe there were others here who had this one, or one similar, so can you give me some guidance?

I plugged the bottom into the phone like supposed to, I put it in my cigarette lighter, connected the small jack cord into the transmitter and the other end into my phone. I turn on the ipod on the phone, turn on the fm part of the transmitter and scan through multiple channels, yet I dont get ANY sound at all! Not even static. There isnt any other settings or connections that I can think of.

Has anyone had problems with theirs working? Can you give me any sort of hint or help as to why I wouldnt get any sound whatsoever? The thing was only $20 but I'd still like to get it working somewhat if possible. Thanks

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Did you make sure that the frequency on the transmitter is the same one you're listening at your car?

And you connected the small jack cord to the headphone of your iPhone?

Volume controls up?

(Btw this should be at the accessories forum)

3. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Yeah, what Rayfire said. Make sure its all hooked up and your radio is on. Mine works great.

4. Bodah macrumors regular

If you are just using it for music, you don't need the cable in the headphone jack, just the dock connector in the bottom.

Also, if you are just using the dock connector, make sure that the short cable is not plugged into the transmitter at all, remove it completely. I had that problem when I first used it. It was connected to the transmitter, but not the phone.

5. WannaApple? thread starter macrumors 6502a

How do I make sure the frequency is the same? I have no idea about that stuff. I also dont know what the QS? button on the transmitter is for. The ipod is on, volume up, playing and radio volume is up, I even tried to set the radio on the car to the same station as the transmitter and I just get zero sound. So, I guess its either the transmitter is bad or its the frequency.

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

The frequency is the 'station'. You are calling it station because thats what they say, but each radio station uses a different frequency as to not interfere with each other: 92.7 would be a station somewhere, and the frequency is actually 92.7..that's why the stations' name is 92.7.

7. Bodah macrumors regular

On your car radio, find a station that doesnt have any stations near it, and just plain static. Write down or remember that station number and leave the radio on.

There should be number on the LCD on the top of the transmitter. I believe the buttons are on the right side next to the LCD. Use those buttons to change the number on the LCD to match the frequency on the car radio.

When you do that, did the static go away and you were left with silence, or did the static remain?

8. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Good luck with that, i've never gotten anything that works from DealExtreme.

9. WannaApple? thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for everyones help...I finally got it to work! My car's radio buttons to find stations only pick up ones that have transmission, so when I tried it before, it was only picking up the main stations, but I did find a way to advance manually and find a static station and then it came on. :D