Who Pays the Bill?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Choctaw, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Choctaw macrumors 6502

Choctaw

I am posting here because everyother place I try and post it tell me "Choctaw you don't have permission to post" So not to be breaking any rules...I just wanted an answer and this place was the only one that would let me type in a message.

I have watched many forums come and go. Sometimes it is a lack of interest and people just don’t participate that causes it. Other times, It is a lack of finances. My question here is simple. With all the postings we see and the enormous collection of information using lots of Band-Width. I am wanting to know who pays for it all? Where does the support for this forum come from, WHO pays the bill.?

Choctaw

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Arn pays the bill. Gets cash from contributions and ads mostly I'd presume. It works because it's a site worth coming to most of the time. I have to ask ... who cares? Right?

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You can't make any new threads in the News and Article Discussion but you should be able to reply to threads. Very few people can in that area and actually I don't even know if moderators can as I've not tried.

The only other areas you might have issue with would be the Politics forum and the Marketplace. You should be able to post and create new threads in most of the other subforums.

You might take a glance at the How Do I Post? entry in the FAQ, especially looking at the I Can't Post area a bit below that.

4. belvdr macrumors 603

5. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

It depends. Arn loves to pull the old "Damn, I forgot my wallet in the car." trick, so one of us ends up getting stuck with the tab.

6. Paul B macrumors 6502

"MacRumor’s revenue is running about $3.8 million. The company has a tiny staff and should have an operating margin of close to 70%. MacRumors is worth about $21 million at 8x operating income."

Wow! congrats, Arn.

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Though to some, this may just seem like another forum-based web site, it's become very profitable. Arn has even been interview on CNBC in the past a couple times. He gave up being a doctor to focus his efforts here. That should tell you the bills are being handled well.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't buy those numbers. The site certainly makes money but not $3.8 million. This site is not properly monetized.

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You callin me TINY?! *puffs up*

Although if you don't count the volunteer staff the number is quite small.

10. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Would the volunteer staff consist of those of us who report posts, or are we just the wannabe-staff?

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Staff doesn't mean volunteers when you're speaking in terms of company size, normally. I dunno how big you are, physically. :)

12. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005