Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
I do, this is my fifth year, i'm playing it in a belgium club called Braxgata, and last year we were first in our division.

Who also plays field-hockey??

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
Field Hockey in the us in a female sport generally speaking. Many schools don't have it. My town does, and we're pretty good.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Just north of you, lofight, and as you probably know field-hockey is very popular over here.

And I have picked up my stick once again, after about a 6 year's absence.
Having fun enjoying a *few* beers with the ladies after the game too! :p:D

lofight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Field Hockey in the us in a female sport generally speaking. Many schools don't have it. My town does, and we're pretty good.

But here in Belgium it's different than to America if you do a sport you don't really do it with the school you do it in a club, and we don't play games school versus school but team versus team, no it's really also a man sport, well here in Belgium it is.

Just north of you, lofight, and as you probably know field-hockey is very popular over here.

And I have picked up my stick once again, after about a 6 year's absence.
Having fun enjoying a *few* beers with the ladies after the game too! :p:D

Yes it's very popular there, but with my belgium team last year we won all the matches against the netherlands :p

did you pick up your stick because of my post? :p

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Who play's Field-Hockey?

Who overuse's apostrophes?

;)

(The apostrophe - s is used in two places -- sometimes to indicate the possessive (Dave's hockey stick) but sometimes not (the sticks are theirs), and as a contraction of the word is (there's a ball = there is a ball). The contraction always uses the apostrophe, the possessive sometimes does and sometimes doesn't. There is a third, unofficial use for the apostrophe - s that is emerging, for a plural of an acronym, especially one that ends in S (I have several ABS's). This is less confusing than leaving the reader to wonder if the extra S is part of the acronym or not.)

lofight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Who play's Field-Hockey?

Who overuse's apostrophes?

;)

(The apostrophe - s is used in two places -- sometimes to indicate the possessive (Dave's hockey stick) but sometimes not (the sticks are theirs), and as a contraction of the word is (there's a ball = there is a ball). The contraction always uses the apostrophe, the possessive sometimes does and sometimes doesn't. There is a third, unofficial use for the apostrophe - s that is emerging, for a plural of an acronym, especially one that ends in S (I have several ABS's). This is less confusing than leaving the reader to wonder if the extra S is part of the acronym or not.)
Sorry but i like people to think i'm smart by using difficult things. ;)
But sorry , i'm not native speaking, i was once on the american international school of Bucharest (http://www.aisb.ru), for four years in english speaking but lost some of my english. i will try to do better :p

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
Unlike some I don't have an overwhelming urge to pick-up non-english speakers on their use of punctuation. However I play hockey (I don't see the point in drawing the distinction as in the UK it's the dominant form of the the sport). A long time ago I used to play National Prem but these days I content myself with the local side and do it as much for the drinking as the exercise. It's a great sport, and I was very pleased to discover that Asics have started making astroturf shoes, which was a great relief as far as my poor neglected feet were concerned.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Unlike some I don't have an overwhelming urge to pick-up non-english speakers on their use of punctuation. However I play hockey (I don't see the point in drawing the distinction as in the UK it's the dominant form of the the sport). A long time ago I used to play National Prem but these days I content myself with the local side and do it as much for the drinking as the exercise. It's a great sport, and I was very pleased to discover that Asics have started making astroturf shoes, which was a great relief as far as my poor neglected feet were concerned.

yes asics do have very nice shoes, but some of the shoes they make aren't really.. aloud on the field here in my club, because the bottom plastic tops are more like lines and give you better grip

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
@ My school you either choose (field) hockey or Rugby as your sort for the winter season. I've done hockey for a while now but this year decided to do rugby, I haven't looked back.

Also, 'round here hockey is referred to as "Mof-stok" which loosely translates to Gay-Stick which could be interpreted as a stick used by gays for certain proceedings or possibly just a stick sport played by gays since they're too scared to play a contact sport (rugby).

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
It might not be a contact sport, but playing a fast-paced team game with a very hard ball, and everyone carrying weapons, i.e. those sticks, does result in quite alot of painful injuries.
Nothing sissy about hitting that ball @ 140 Kph through the defense right at the goal... ;)

Besides, as there are as many women as men playing field hockey over here, at least we get to socialize and drink beer with girls, instead of only having sweaty men around you... :p

lofight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
@ My school you either choose (field) hockey or Rugby as your sort for the winter season. I've done hockey for a while now but this year decided to do rugby, I haven't looked back.

Also, 'round here hockey is referred to as "Mof-stok" which loosely translates to Gay-Stick which could be interpreted as a stick used by gays for certain proceedings or possibly just a stick sport played by gays since they're too scared to play a contact sport (rugby).
Yes i think south-africa is pretty good in Hockey, but it isn't really something gay, it's really tough.
It might not be a contact sport, but playing a fast-paced team game with a very hard ball, and everyone carrying weapons, i.e. those sticks, does result in quite alot of painful injuries.
Nothing sissy about hitting that ball @ 140 Kph through the defense right at the goal... ;)

Besides, as there are as many women as men playing field hockey over here, at least we get to socialize and drink beer with girls, instead of only having sweaty men around you... :p
Yeah, balls go pretty fast, i haven't had a bad injury yet, only a ball on the knee or something...

yes the girls are nice, also when they train to see thel running:p

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Yeah, balls go pretty fast, i haven't had a bad injury yet, only a ball on the knee or something...

Well, about 10 years ago (when I was playing pretty fanatically) I non voluntarily stopped one of those 140 Kph's with the contents of what is also called my manhood..... and to make matters worse, I wasn't heroically stopping a last minute equalizer to save my team from relegation, but I managed to help our goalie keep a clean sheet during training....
:(

lofight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Well, about 10 years ago (when I was playing pretty fanatically) I non voluntarily stopped one of those 140 Kph's with the contents of what is also called my manhood..... and to make matters worse, I wasn't heroically stopping a last minute equalizer to save my team from relegation, but I managed to help our goalie keep a clean sheet during training....
:(

ouch, that's the worst, everything okay now?

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
lofight said:
Yes i think south-africa is pretty good in Hockey, but it isn't really something gay, it's really tough.

Thats not the impression of my colleagues, and I didn't leave hockey because of that. I was probably better @ hockey than @ rugby but I wanted a change. I agree that all it takes is a simple drag flick to knock someone's teeth through the back of their skull.

Oh, and its South Africa not south-africa xD

lofight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Yep, tnx.

Took me 3 days to "return to normal", and actually looking forward again to socialize with the girls. ;)

yes i could imagine that ;) My friend once kicked me in the balls and it i had pain for a week orso.... really painfull

adroit

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Victoria, BC
...possibly just a stick sport played by gays since they're too scared to play a contact sport (rugby).

No way... I played both field hockey and rugby and I definitely got more bruises in field hockey than in rugby. Especially, when the game is on artificial turf. There's nothing like getting by those plastic ball on a bare skin.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
No way... I played both field hockey and rugby and I definitely got more bruises in field hockey than in rugby. Especially, when the game is on artificial turf. There's nothing like getting by those plastic ball on a bare skin.

I don't know all the kinds names in English but did you play on artificial turf with sand or water, i now mostly play on water in our club,..

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
I don't know all the kinds names in English but did you play on artificial turf with sand or water, i now mostly play on water in our club,..

National premier games are now all played on water but the predominant pitch type is still sand based because it's cheaper to lay and far cheaper to maintain. Clubs over here aren't anywhere close to the size of clubs in the Netherlands (can't speak for Belgium) and most pitches belong to schools with club houses being located at different sites. Some of the bigger clubs have pitches and facilities in one location and this makes for a great venue - Southgate, Canterbury and Reading spring to mind - and it helps to reinforce club morale which is often not helped by our National League games being played on a Sunday.

As far as the rugby/hockey debate goes. We don't spend 80 minutes engaging in organised cuddling with 29 other men, at least that's what I used to say to my brother. I think Union is a great game but my talents lay elsewhere. I played both sports at school, rugby in Autumn and hockey in Spring. However, the hockey season runs throughout both terms and I gave up rugby at 15 to go and play club hockey at the weekends. This was no real loss as I was in the B XV for rugby and given that our A XV was the best rugby side in the country, I was more than happy to pass up the regular afternoon pounding that masqueraded as training. The way I see it, if I'm going to get injured I'd rather it happen whilst I was doing something I loved.

It's funny that the rugby guys make a lot of fuss about hockey being a gay sport. My recollection of the rugby club at both school and university was that they used to do a lot of things one might have considered to be on the gay-er end of the sexuality spectrum. Perhaps the problem is that it's just much harder to come out in that sort of environment whilst hockey clubs are more tolerant of openly gay members. Women's hockey (although this is probably true for a lot of female sports) has a bit of a reputation.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
National premier games are now all played on water but the predominant pitch type is still sand based because it's cheaper to lay and far cheaper to maintain. Clubs over here aren't anywhere close to the size of clubs in the Netherlands (can't speak for Belgium) and most pitches belong to schools with club houses being located at different sites. Some of the bigger clubs have pitches and facilities in one location and this makes for a great venue - Southgate, Canterbury and Reading spring to mind - and it helps to reinforce club morale which is often not helped by our National League games being played on a Sunday.

As far as the rugby/hockey debate goes. We don't spend 80 minutes engaging in organised cuddling with 29 other men, at least that's what I used to say to my brother. I think Union is a great game but my talents lay elsewhere. I played both sports at school, rugby in Autumn and hockey in Spring. However, the hockey season runs throughout both terms and I gave up rugby at 15 to go and play club hockey at the weekends. This was no real loss as I was in the B XV for rugby and given that our A XV was the best rugby side in the country, I was more than happy to pass up the regular afternoon pounding that masqueraded as training. The way I see it, if I'm going to get injured I'd rather it happen whilst I was doing something I loved.

It's funny that the rugby guys make a lot of fuss about hockey being a gay sport. My recollection of the rugby club at both school and university was that they used to do a lot of things one might have considered to be on the gay-er end of the sexuality spectrum. Perhaps the problem is that it's just much harder to come out in that sort of environment whilst hockey clubs are more tolerant of openly gay members. Women's hockey (although this is probably true for a lot of female sports) has a bit of a reputation.
Here in Belgium the clubs are quite big, my club braxgata (check http://www.braxgata.be ) is one of the best clubs in Belgium, we've got 1 semi-sanded field, and 2 Water-fields, and another quarter sand field for practice, but all theese field aren't older than 2 years, Braxgata also has got a another sand field, but that isn't used anymore it's rather old. Here in Belgium i've never heard of people saying they find hockey a gay sport, but fro people who day say that, don't listen to them, ignore them, they don't what the real sport is...

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
Here in Belgium the clubs are quite big, my club braxgata (check http://www.braxgata.be ) is one of the best clubs in Belgium, we've got 1 semi-sanded field, and 2 Water-fields, and another quarter sand field for practice, but all theese field aren't older than 2 years, Braxgata also has got a another sand field, but that isn't used anymore it's rather old. Here in Belgium i've never heard of people saying they find hockey a gay sport, but fro people who day say that, don't listen to them, ignore them, they don't what the real sport is...

Am not bothered by what people think of my sport, they're more than welcome to come and give it a try. Generally the astro burns and bruises are enough to convince them otherwise. I could try and point you in the direction of my old club but Hounslow became Hounslow and Ealing and I understand that their men's section has now disbanded, so I played for a little club in Battersea (not far from Chelsea football club). We are one of four sides that share two publicly owned pitches in a local park - some contrast to your uber club.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Am not bothered by what people think of my sport, they're more than welcome to come and give it a try. Generally the astro burns and bruises are enough to convince them otherwise. I could try and point you in the direction of my old club but Hounslow became Hounslow and Ealing and I understand that their men's section has now disbanded, so I played for a little club in Battersea (not far from Chelsea football club). We are one of four sides that share two publicly owned pitches in a local park - some contrast to your uber club.

yes the bruises from the sand fields can hurt..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.