Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Who plays guitar?, how long do you play it? what kind of songs do you play, artists? in a band? Which guitar do you have? do you mostly play acoustic or electric?

I play guitar now for 5 years this is my sixth orso... i play alot of rock,blues,grunge,pop, that kind of stuff.. i love to play Jimi Hendrix and Nirvana, and other songs... i really missed some years by only playing classic and spanish flamenco, i've only started playing tab stuff with accords ( or acord or akkord, i don't know how you spell it) just a year ago... rock and pop kinda stuff also just a year ago, i regret that i didn't start earlier with that.. and no, i don't play in a band... yet.. maybe once because a frien of mine can also play guitar... , and i mostly play electric, but the first four years i played all the time with an acoustic guitar. How about you?

for the people wondering my guitar is a Blade durango Standard.It's a very good guitar for a reasonable pricetag.
Durango_Standard.jpg

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I play, although opinion is divided as to my actual playing ability :)

I tend to just play songs that I like, mostly pop and light rock. These days it's dead easy because if you can't pick it out yourself you can normally find somebody's posted the tab on the Internet.

You'll probably be interested in this thread from the Pictures forum.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
I play, although opinion is divided as to my actual playing ability :)

I tend to just play songs that I like, mostly pop and light rock. These days it's dead easy because if you can't pick it out yourself you can normally find somebody's posted the tab on the Internet.

You'll probably be interested in this thread from the Pictures forum.

I actually already posted in that thread... and yes ultimate-guitar.com is a very good site for that

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
Strings!

I play rock, classical and blues guitar. A LOT of Grateful Dead stuff, and Allman Brothers too! ( I am an old guy!) My main ax is a 1968 Gibson Les Paul of which I am proud to be the original owner:cool: I also play 5 string banjo, an old Gibson RB3, I am begining to see a thread here. I love all string music. I would like to learn to play the violin, but there are only so many hours in the day, so I stick with guitar and banjo. Keep playing, as often as possible. Also, you need to play with other people, it really helps your timing.

cptpower

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2007
Calgary, AB
I play a bit; as much as my schedule will allow,which more often than not isn't nearly enough. I really need to make an effort to play more, or find people to play with so that I'm a bit more motivated to practice.

I've got both an electric & an acoustic. My electric is a Ibanez RG350EX with a Line6 SpiderII Amp. Acoustic is a Yamaha F-310. What I play depends completely on my mood.

Attachments

• HPIM0395.jpg
    HPIM0395.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 45

colinmack

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
I've played for almost 30 years (sounds like a long time, but I'm only 39 years young), originally did classical piano training until it stopped being cool...played professionally for a while, put out some CDs, but found that eating was habit-forming and high-tech paid better :cool:

Still play a fair bit (my kids even play now!), have another CD coming out shortly - guitar/vocal rock, hard to pigeon hole but sort of like The Odds meets Collective Soul meets Live, throw in some vintage Andy Taylor and Van Halen (what the hell, the 80's are hip again).

Have 11 guitars strewn around the house (mostly electric), my favourites are 2 Charvels and an older Ibanez 2467 semi-hollow body. Have a bunch of rack guitar gear (and a home recording studio), but nothing quite sounds like the straight head/cabinet with a powersoak ('71 Marshall head, '69 Marshall cabinet).

Have a few other instruments lying around (violin, bagpipes, etc.) but haven't had the time to really do anything with them that doesn't sound like cats fighting...

Cheers, Colin.

Carrot007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Yorkshire
I play a bit, not as much as I used to. In fact I've probably forgotten how to play most of what I could, but a quick refresher is much easier than learning things in the first place was.

What has made me very happy since moving over to the mac though is amplitibe, the pc version was unusable in a live fashion. Even when I got a real sound card to replace my onbaord sound the best I could get was about 1000 ms latency, and hearing everything you play second later is disconcerting.

However on the mac (even on my little mac mini core solo, using the powerpc version of the program) you can get a latency of about 50 to 100 ms which is very usable. It's such a great program and saves so much space compared to getting out my amp and effects. The only thing I miss is not having a variable pedal (wah, volume etc.). Their site mentions them doing a version of amplitube with a controller but it seems to have been coming soon forever! Ahh well maybe someday!

pscoble

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Petaluma
I played guitar for a few months before realizing bass is my thing. I play some rock tunes with one of my friends who plays guitar. I was in a band.....that didn't go well.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
I play rock, classical and blues guitar. A LOT of Grateful Dead stuff, and Allman Brothers too! ( I am an old guy!) My main ax is a 1968 Gibson Les Paul of which I am proud to be the original owner:cool: I also play 5 string banjo, an old Gibson RB3, I am begining to see a thread here. I love all string music. I would like to learn to play the violin, but there are only so many hours in the day, so I stick with guitar and banjo. Keep playing, as often as possible. Also, you need to play with other people, it really helps your timing.
Wow nice guitars!! and banjo!! wow nice.
I play a bit; as much as my schedule will allow,which more often than not isn't nearly enough. I really need to make an effort to play more, or find people to play with so that I'm a bit more motivated to practice.

I've got both an electric & an acoustic. My electric is a Ibanez RG350EX with a Line6 SpiderII Amp. Acoustic is a Yamaha F-310. What I play depends completely on my mood.
i mostly do have time, still a student... but enjoy playing guitar more if i didn't pick it up for day orso, or if i mis is a week i'm really happy to play back with it!!
I've played for almost 30 years (sounds like a long time, but I'm only 39 years young), originally did classical piano training until it stopped being cool...played professionally for a while, put out some CDs, but found that eating was habit-forming and high-tech paid better :cool:

Still play a fair bit (my kids even play now!), have another CD coming out shortly - guitar/vocal rock, hard to pigeon hole but sort of like The Odds meets Collective Soul meets Live, throw in some vintage Andy Taylor and Van Halen (what the hell, the 80's are hip again).

Have 11 guitars strewn around the house (mostly electric), my favourites are 2 Charvels and an older Ibanez 2467 semi-hollow body. Have a bunch of rack guitar gear (and a home recording studio), but nothing quite sounds like the straight head/cabinet with a powersoak ('71 Marshall head, '69 Marshall cabinet).

Have a few other instruments lying around (violin, bagpipes, etc.) but haven't had the time to really do anything with them that doesn't sound like cats fighting...

Cheers, Colin.

wow 30 years and you have CD coming out! you must be very good, 11 guitars:eek: .
I play a bit, not as much as I used to. In fact I've probably forgotten how to play most of what I could, but a quick refresher is much easier than learning things in the first place was.

What has made me very happy since moving over to the mac though is amplitibe, the pc version was unusable in a live fashion. Even when I got a real sound card to replace my onbaord sound the best I could get was about 1000 ms latency, and hearing everything you play second later is disconcerting.

However on the mac (even on my little mac mini core solo, using the powerpc version of the program) you can get a latency of about 50 to 100 ms which is very usable. It's such a great program and saves so much space compared to getting out my amp and effects. The only thing I miss is not having a variable pedal (wah, volume etc.). Their site mentions them doing a version of amplitube with a controller but it seems to have been coming soon forever! Ahh well maybe someday!
i also forgot alot of music!! now trying to rebuild it a little.. i don't have amplitube, but i do have a 10day try-out for amplitube Jimi-Hendrix(got it from the UK macworld magazine, but i don't live in the uk) wich is fantastic although my macbook speakers are really bad and i have only one converter to the fat jack from guitar cable to mini-jack in the computer and my headphone also only has the fat jack.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I used to play in school, but through college and uni I just didn't play that much. Now I just stick to the piano/keyboard. Can't remember what I played! Just my own stuff. All there is to it really. Should probably start playing again!

SG06std2F.JPG

That's the closest to my guitar. Orange Gibson SG. No pics online or on my HDD in this formatted state!

lanray

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2005
me, too

I play acoustic - REM, U2, Dave Matthews, a little bit of Ani, and then just whatever strikes me as fun/playable. Been playing for 20(!) years, though it doesn't seem that long.

Carrot007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Yorkshire
i also forgot alot of music!! now trying to rebuild it a little.. i don't have amplitube, but i do have a 10day try-out for amplitube Jimi-Hendrix(got it from the UK macworld magazine, but i don't live in the uk) wich is fantastic although my macbook speakers are really bad and i have only one converter to the fat jack from guitar cable to mini-jack in the computer and my headphone also only has the fat jack.

Hmm I must go out and get that magazine, hopefully it'll still be in stock! From what I can tell on the net the hendrix amplitube is like amplitube 2 and so probably much better than the amplitube 1 I am using whic hcame bundled with a guitar I bought that has a usb conenctor (which is really nice, I plug it into my mac keyboard!)

imac/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
I play a little acoustic, though it has been a while since I have pulled it out of the case. :( I really need to get it back out again.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
I used to play in school, but through college and uni I just didn't play that much. Now I just stick to the piano/keyboard. Can't remember what I played! Just my own stuff. All there is to it really. Should probably start playing again!

SG06std2F.JPG

That's the closest to my guitar. Orange Gibson SG. No pics online or on my HDD in this formatted state!
i love that guitar!!
Hmm I must go out and get that magazine, hopefully it'll still be in stock! From what I can tell on the net the hendrix amplitube is like amplitube 2 and so probably much better than the amplitube 1 I am using whic hcame bundled with a guitar I bought that has a usb conenctor (which is really nice, I plug it into my mac keyboard!)

but a 10 day trial is really short, but i tried a trick to keep it on my computer, i don't know if the trick will work, but with some programs is does. if read about a usb connector, but i'm not all too sure... doesn't it sound like midi?? i don't know i use minijack input on my macbook and it works, but i will have to buy another converter( jack 6mm to minijack).

simon-says

macrumors regular
May 24, 2005
Louisiana
Played for over 9 years now, 22 years old. I mainly play guitar, though a little bass. I have a '98 midnight blue Fender standard Stratocaster, '06 3 tone sunburst Fender John Mayer Stratocaster, '99 black Fender standard Jazz Bass. I love Fender guitars, and the Mayer strat is my baby I love it. I play a lot of blues, mainly Stevie Ray Vaughan but also some Buddy Guy and others. Lately I've been playing stuff from SRV's Couldn't Stand the Weather album. Don't play in any bands, I'm a full time grad student with grad assistant work. I really want to get out and play someday though.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Played for over 9 years now, 22 years old. I mainly play guitar, though a little bass. I have a '98 midnight blue Fender standard Stratocaster, '06 3 tone sunburst Fender John Mayer Stratocaster, '99 black Fender standard Jazz Bass. I love Fender guitars, and the Mayer strat is my baby I love it. I play a lot of blues, mainly Stevie Ray Vaughan but also some Buddy Guy and others. Lately I've been playing stuff from SRV's Couldn't Stand the Weather album. Don't play in any bands, I'm a full time grad student with grad assistant work. I really want to get out and play someday though.

nice guitar collection :) i really like the music from SRV but i still haven't searched for guitar tabs from him but i did search for little wing cover and i can play that partly.., maybe now i will search for more!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.