Who plays Starcraft 2?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Kildeer, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Kildeer macrumors member

Do you play it (either on PC or Mac) and what race do you play? :)

I play on a borrowed PC for now, until I get a MBP. And I play Protoss mostly. Can't really get to grips with the amount of macro required for Zerg and Terran are a little boring at times.

2. Messy macrumors 6502

Bought it recently, im still pretty much learning the ropes!

Running on a 13" MBP.

3. TheKnowledgeGuy macrumors member

TheKnowledgeGuy

I do.

Got it the second it came out, add Cronos, I just got a new iMac so I can play it on Mac now. I play ALL RACES. :D

4. JollyRogers macrumors regular

I play it off and on. I suck. Been trying to just finish the campaign:D

I tried to link into friends via the facebook option, but it didn't work...

5. Kildeer thread starter macrumors member

Indeed some people are very good at it and they have a skill level I'll never be able to reach, I'm more into cooperative games like Diablo so when that comes out I can't see myself playing SC2 that much.

But have a look at this Korean player, it's sick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbpCLqryN-Q

6. aki macrumors 6502a

Zerg. Play on iMac i7 under bootcamp Windows 7 64bit, basically because of the mouse acceleration issue.

It's a tough game but that's also what is great about it, it's a game complex enough that you can actually practice and train and see your game improve.

Keep playing! And don't be scared of multiplayer. The campaign is all well and good but bnet is where the real SC2 experience is!

glgl!

7. StopSign24 macrumors regular

I play Zerg on my 13" MBP. I'm not all that great at the game, in Gold 1v1 at the moment, but I do enjoy playing.

8. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I laugh every time someone says they have problems with mouse acceleration under OS X. Not saying it doesn't exist, but I've never once had a single issue with it myself (and I use both OS X and Windows extensively) so it makes me wonder why these people are struggling.

I got SC2 on release day, it's fun to play sometimes just to unwind. :)

9. SidBala macrumors 6502a

I play it on my MBP17. I run it under windows. I always run windows anyway, so its not a big deal for me.

I play as Protoss. I haven't even touched the campaign. I am sure it's great and all but Bnet is what SC2 was made for.

10. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

I play it. Stopped playing the ladders for a bit. I range from Gold to diamond on my ladders. I use to play random but now only play Zerg. I have been playing custom maps for a few weeks now. I love the game.

11. Kildeer thread starter macrumors member

Thing is, Blizzard made the game so it would appeal to a lot of people, you can play single player, campaign, challenges, multiplayer either rated or unrated and cooperative against the AI. That's one of the things I really like about it, there's something for everyones taste. :)

I've almost done the campaign but mostly I play it when I need a break from multiplayer.

12. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I play it on PC, and I play mostly Zerg. I'm not very good at the actual melee games but I LOVE all of the fun custom maps.

13. steveotron macrumors member

I play it on my custom W7 desktop (Ultra settings on a ATI 5770) because the GPU on my iMac (lol9400m) is a joke and the Magic Mouse is disastrous for gaming.

2200ish points Diamond Protoss 1 vs. 1, but I haven't played in a couple of week since I'm on vacation, so I'll be looking forward to a sweet bonus pool when I get back.

I was ranked 1st in my Diamond league for 3 vs. 3 but that's probably changed due to inactivity.

14. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I play it on my standard MB 13". I usually just play campaign. I'm not much of a multiplayer person at this point. And I don't really have too much time to learn how to be a good multiplayer person because I'm a student in Engineering haha. But yeah, I do quite enjoy the campaign honestly :)

15. Ravaroo macrumors 6502

Ravaroo

the challenge missions are a great way to build game skill before you enter the world of multiplayer SC2. Work on getting gold level for each mission and you will be far better prepared than most new players who go from campaign -> multiplayer

16. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

This may be a really stupid question, but how do you access the challenge games? I've never seen the option just chillin on the home screen or anything. Thanks :p

17. VoR macrumors 6502a

And I laugh when people that 'use OSX and Windows extensively' can't see/feel the difference :)

It's an absolutely huge issue that many people have, and many people don't even notice, strange eh? - Having a simple 'off' check box is all that's needed.

18. haiggy macrumors 65816

I do!

I built a Hackintosh to play it. i5, GTX 460 1 GB, etc. I play it on Windows 7 but I also have OS X to use thanks to the new nvidia graphics drivers :)

I play Protoss and I'm around 2660 right now in 1v1.... nothing too special. I have been rank 1 2v2 in the world though for awhile... but not anymore (stopped playing it). You can check how you rank on sc2ranks.com

There's some videos of me up on youtube with my partner here: http://www.youtube.com/user/IrieStarcraft#p/search/1/BFmd8KnpgKY I'm Azide, partner is Superninja (he was Smile but used named change). This game is vs HuK and CellaWerra if you know who they are. HuK actually in the game says "no way you beat me... if you do I buy u guys dinner" so I won't spoil the game but he ended up meeting up with us and paying for our dinner LOL He's a great guy

19. Kildeer thread starter macrumors member

Go to Single player and you should see it in a box somewhere. :) I've done 7 of the 9 challenges but am struggling with 2 of them unfortunately.

20. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Oh, I notice a difference, it's just not crippling or even that big of a deal. Perhaps I can just compensate for the differences better. :rolleyes:

Kildeer – what challenges are you stuck on?

21. Kildeer thread starter macrumors member

I'm having trouble with the one where you have to kill off 150 units in some rime with roaches and infestors. I managed to kill 149 and then there was 1 second left so that kinda annoyed me a bit. :) But I guess I'll get it next time.

And then the Covert Ops one.

22. VoR macrumors 6502a

I think it's very likely you can compensate better for the difference - I don't even bother to try on osx, it really is that crippling.

I'm sure there's no problem with the acceleration for just a casual game, but if you want to play FPS games 'properly' or have any mouse input use that requires fast and accurate tracking - it's simply not possible on osx.

If I have a reasonable mouse and move it X cm, I want the cursor to move Y cm - The speed I move the mouse should not come into the equation when playing a game, and is down to personal preference when using the computer for anything else.

Why on earth there has never been an option to turn it off I'll never know - everyone would then be happy. You might even see more people using the mac platform for games, there's a few 'big' ones out on osx.

23. Kildeer thread starter macrumors member

Just a quick note to all those who play Starcraft 2 on OS X and have issues with mouse acceleration, you've remembered to tick the box with reduce mouse lag in the options right? By default it's not ticked when you install the game and it's really essential to play well.

24. aki macrumors 6502a

On the whole mouse accel issue, I should be clear:

If I had never had bootcamp set up, and had only played sc2 under osx, I wouldn't have even considered the issue of mouse acceleration and I'm sure I'd be playing just fine.

However, I do a lot of my gaming under bootcamp so I set up sc2 there as well; and once I played around with all the mouse settings I found that, although I could adjust to playing under either os, I prefered the behaviour of the mouse under Windows. (Before anyone asks, I did play with USB Overdrive and all the other purported "this turns off mouse acceleration under OSX" options).

I don't think it's a major issue, but I am now very much acclimatized to the Win mouse and it suits my play. I find I am less accurate under osx. I'm sure, if I had been playing instead under osx all this time, I would be much better with the OSX mouse behavior. Whether either is obvjectively superior - well, I've read some fairly convincing-sounding arguments about 1-to-1 pixel-perfect control or whatever, ultimately it's a matter of what you the player prefer.

25. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

I play zerg but only at silver/gold level in the various multiplayer matchups. It's really fun but i have to be fit and in the mood for it. Especially 1 vs. 1 is quite exhausting with so much stuff to do at once. :eek:

I play in OS X - and get about 80-100 fps with Ultra settings on my Mac Pro, so why bother the reboot? ;)