Who prefers iPhone over iPad for content?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rotobadger, Jul 8, 2017.

1. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Have a dilemma I've been contemplating for a few weeks now.

I carry an iPhone 6s Plus with me because I tend to use it for everything. From movies and TV shows to games and email, I enjoy the convenience of just "whipping it out" and having it at the ready at all times.

But...

It's large and somewhat cumbersome to hold and carry (as we have all discussed).

I've been thinking about switching to an SE and getting a nice iPad instead. So, my question is: Do those of you who use this combo (or similar) find yourself somewhat inconvenienced by using two devices? Or has anyone tried this setup and decided they prefer just using the iPhone plus for everything?

iPhone 6s/7 plus for content? Or put the phone down and use iPad for content?

Opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. AFEPPL, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017

AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

It's harder to carry two devices vs one regardless of size (i run two phones and its my bug bear).
    If thats your thing, i'd say simply go for the plus and have an all in one. Better battery too

I dont think i could go back to the 4" phone or be bother to carry an iPad with me everywhere too.
    That said, when I'm traveling i do take the iPad 9.7 and 13" Mac but i have a laptop bag with me then.
    When i come to replacing my personal phone (6S) i'll be tempted to get the plus and then bin the iPad so i have less devices to mess with.

3. BrickbookPro macrumors regular

I have a 6s and a 10.5” ipad. I’ve thought about downgrading my phone next time to save on money because I really only use it for a hotspot and for phone calls. I use my ipad for everything else (video, web browsing, texting, social media, etc.)

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I use my 7+ for quite a few things. But I also use my iPad as well, but I don't really carry that with me as much, primarily because my 7+ does a lot of what I need to.

The iPhone SE a small as it is, then that would be a different situation where I would carry perhaps an iPad with me to have a larger display. But the iPhone 7 Plus seems to be the middle ground for me.

5. fartnugget213 macrumors member

I don't like tablets because it's another thing to bring along.

Like you said, with the plus model I can just whip the phone out and kick back and watch a movie when outside or at home.

With an ipad I would have to keep it charged and bring it with me everywhere I go. I also would not bother getting the cellular model so I'd only be able to use it at home with WiFi and be stuck to that area.

It's 7+ all day for me, no question.

6. cbreze macrumors 6502

cbreze

I have 3 tablets but would never consider carrying one around with me all day. When travelling I chose one to bring along. But otherwise the phone(iphone7)is plenty good enough. Ive never felt the need to be so connected. But of course YMMV. Everyone has their own set of daily needs.

7. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Good feedback so far.

Also, to be clear, I don't intend to take my phone and ipad everywhere I go rather only when traveling (hotel). I just find it convenient to be at home, reach into my pocket and start watching a movie or playing a game. Again, it's the impracticality of carrying and using the large phone for day to day stuff (texting, talking, quick emails).

I always felt like the 6s plus was basically a tiny ipad you can use to talk to people. But, when I picked up an SE to try a few weeks ago, I was like "ahhhh!" so easy to hold!

8. cbreze macrumors 6502

cbreze

Exactly what I thought when I had a 6+. Just got tired of the size after awhile. The SE seems to small the regular 7 is just right.

9. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Since iPhone is opt to take away headphone jack and smh Touch ID, I think soon enough I will be forced to carry iPad with me all the time alongside phones, even just for headphone jack. Bad decision from Apple for me but I don’t blame it. That is not my Apple anyway.

For content, maybe iPhone is better on the bed. Idk, or iPad, but a bit bigger.

10. BrickbookPro macrumors regular

Yeah I don’t carry my ipad out of the vehicle, but it comes with me when I’m a passenger. It stays in the vehicle when I leave it. Again small phone for out and about, with an iPad for all other times has been perfect for me. My phone basically just takes up space when I’m at home, staying over somewhere or a passenger in a vehicle.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm not really the one to ask. When I walk out the door for work I have an iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 4s in a carrying case with a 6s+ and a 5 in my pant's pockets.

For just regular trips to the store or whatnot I'm just carrying the 6s+ and the 5.

12. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I just sold my iPad Air 2 because I felt I wasn't using it enough. I like to use one device for everything. I've been using my iPhone 6s+ with a Bluetooth keyboard for data input and posting here. I've used iPads for years now and last year I sold my Mini 4 to just use my 6s+... then lapsed and bought an iPad Air 2 but didn't use it much over 6 months so I sold it.

My thoughts? Two weeks now and I'm happy just using my 6s+. Yeah, the screen isn't as big but I prefer watching YouTube on my monitor with my Mac Mini. The Air 2 was large, required toting around, it was WiFi only.

But my info here is --- my wife and I are both college students (me part time) so lack of $ is a factor as well. I think if we both had high paying jobs I'd have an iPad at home. But regardless, I found I didn't use it much if at all.

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm mainly using my iPad for reading news in bed towards the end of the night. I'll also use it when I need a hotspot for a quick connection, mainly because I need an IP address outside my network to check something inside my network. for those things it's just easier to use the larger screen.

And I get far less hand cramps holding the iPad in bed reading than I do my iPhone.

It's interesting because my wife usually never uses her iPad. There's been months where she's used zero data yet I am constantly pushing the 5GB cap I have on mine. :D

But I also use my iPad in my car as a Google Maps NAV system so there's that.

14. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

How interesting. Yeah, my wife uses her iPad mostly at night - near the end of the night for reading news, etc... She's very consistent about using it every night as well. If we have a day off she usually will spend her time at home whereas I either have my MacBook Air on my lap or I'll be using my phone.

15. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Exactly the kind of info I was looking for. My fear is that I would end up exactly like you...not using the iPad and just using the phone. My wife and daughter use my old iPad mini (first gen) but it has gotten so old and slow I want a new iPad, at the very least, for them.

My only gripe about the 6s plus is the size but it's the size that makes it appealing to have in lieu of an ipad.

A conundrum.

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My wife banned laptops (except for her) from the bedroom so an iPad became what I can get away with. :D

But generally during the day I also have a laptop on my lap or I'm sitting in front of my G5.

17. heyjoe23 macrumors newbie

I have a 6s plus and iPad mini. I bring my mini with me to work (commuting on a train) and on road trips, both for work and play. I use my mini so much more than my 6s plus. I like my phone for emails, but that is about it. I do all my reading, both kindle and web browsing on the mini. I also do my YouTube and ESPN watching on my mini. If I get a new phone this fall, I will probably go with just a 7s. I would be tempted for the plus for the photography, but not sure if I need portrait mode that much over the size of the regular phone. I hate taking my 6s plus to the gym. Too big. . .

18. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

I mostly use my iPad for content,but when I don't carry it with me,I also use the phone. Another reason to have both,is this:
    With an iPhone 5 and up,you get the internet sharing capability,so when using iPad on the go,you only need the wifi-only iPad. I do this often,as I need internet connection and a large screen for various tasks.

19. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I have a 7 plus and an iPad Air 2. I carry both with me on my daily commute. I do find the Air a bit cumbersome to carry around with me but I need something bigger than the plus for reading my comics, watching my videos and using my drawing and colouring in apps. I've been contemplating getting a mini 4 but I'm not happy about the fact that it hasn't been updated since 2015 so I'm wondering if it will be updated anytime soon.

It is a bit of a pain to carry two devices around. My plus is big enough for web browsing and using apps. Unless I'm at home I prefer to use my phone for those tasks and even if I'm at home my iPhone is more convenient in a lot of situations.

20. akash.nu, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017

akash.nu macrumors 68030

akash.nu

A lot of it really depends on your specific life style. I have recently bought the new 9.7 iPad because I'm trying to replace my MacBook Air for non laptop essential tasks so that I don't need to carry it around everywhere.

When you say content, it makes a difference if it's creation or consumption. Depending on your type of work you might appreciate the full size keyboard and also the split screen functionality on the iPad. When I'm out and about I'm constantly on emails and web for various reasons. Having two apps side by side always helps on the iPad and also typing is much easier when writing emails or even using pages or keynote. Content consumption is better on iPad as well, simply because of the screen size.

Having played around with the plus size on multiple occasions I've realised that the inconvenience of carrying such a huge device all the time is a deal breaker for me. So I'm on the regular size iPhone to keep with me always which can also be used for all the similar stuff when need be and is urgent but also doesn't mean I have to start carrying a bag separately just to carry my phone.

I also only buy the iPad wifi model because most of the places where I use it either have wifi connection already available or in case it's not, I can use my phone to create a hotspot to connect to.

21. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

After using an iPad for so many years now, if available, it is my primary internet consumption device. When the iPad is not handy, the 7+ does OK in a pinch but could never be a replacement for the iPad.

22. yep-sure macrumors 6502

yep-sure

My current setup of the SE and large iPad Pro is perfect for me.

23. praterkeith macrumors 6502

praterkeith

I was in the same situation. I just sold my iPad Pro on eBay because I didn't use it enough to justify keeping it. I got what I could out of the iPad Pro while it still has value because I prefer to use my MacBook Pro at home and my iPhone away from the house. I bought my wife an iPad Mini 2 when they came out several years ago and she has hardly used it.