Who preordered for $599/$699?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dojoman, Jun 15, 2010.

1. dojoman macrumors 65816

I can't be the only one that would pay that much but then I won't have to worry about eligibility for next iPhone.

2. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

3. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

I probably would have!

But I was all ready to pay my $499 price, when my Att store manager said... oh why don't you use your upgrade on the other line?

I was like oh... ok :) sure...

So I got it for 299, but if I couldn't And I didn't and AT&T said I had to pay the full price, I would have!

4. dmx macrumors 6502

I did but only because I wasn't eligible for an early upgrade or an upgrade.

5. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I thought the price was $399 16gb & $499 32gb, if you are not eligible for the early upgrade price?

6. dmx macrumors 6502

$199/$299 = "Upgrade" Price (Full Subsidy)

399/499 = Early Upgrade Price

599/699 = No Commitment Pricing

7. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to buy an iphone commitment free is that even possible now?

8. dojoman thread starter macrumors 65816

Nope! I'm not even eligible for early upgrade because I have to wait until Nov to get 399/499, not sure how Att calculate these dates but my monthly bill is pretty low that must be the main reason.

9. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I think I'm confused in the pricing so I'll ask...

I just upgraded in January 2010 to the 32gb 3GS, I was under the impression that as long as I sign another 2 year agreement, I can get the 32gb iPhone 4 for $499 correct? And if I did not want to sign another contract I would have to pay $699 for the 32gb phone?

10. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

You can buy them on eBay right now for $899. Next-day shipping.

Lol.

11. dmx macrumors 6502

Call *NEW# (*639#) on your iPhone. It will send you a text back telling you what pricing you are eligible for.

12. Carlos E macrumors 6502

Carlos E

Me. I'm buying no commitment. Either that or I'm taking a Road trip from NYC to Canada and buying an unlocked iPhone in Canada.

13. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

I am buying at the no commitment price because I don't want to renew my AT&T contract for another two years. AT&T will lose exclusivity soon and we are very likely to see the next iPhone released on other carriers.

I just graduated college and will move out-of-state by this time next year, so I'd like the freedom to move to another carrier. I had to drop a $500 deposit when I got the original back in 2007. I never pursued getting it back until now, and since it's money already spent in my mind, I'll only have to come up with $200 today just like an upgrade.

14. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I was told last week I'd get the early upgrade price. Low and behold today when I went to pre-order at Apple.com. Nope. The only option offered was no-commit pricing. I was pissed to say the least. I called the 800 number for ATT and she confirmed my upgrade date was 2/20/11. She also told me that my EARLY upgrade date was 11/20/10. I was more pissed. I asked about the press release that said current iphone users would get the early upgrade price. She told me to keep checking my upgrade status as things could possibly change.

On the way home I stopped at the corp ATT store who told me that info last week. I immediately asked to see the manager. The CSR asked if he could help. I said nope, I need to see the manager now. A few minutes later she came out from the back and I explained my problem. She checked my account and repeated those dates I heard earlier. I asked her what about the media pdf that said upgrade dates were moved up and for those who did not qualify for best pricing; those current iPhone customers would be eligible for early upgrade pricing.

After a few minutes she told me that I was eligible for early upgrade pricing however they had to place my order in the store. I could not order from Apple like I wanted to. I told her last year I was able to do an early upgrade on Apple.com and everything went very well. Oh well. Their system was down so they hand wrote my order, gave me a receipt and would enter my order later. The manager said these early upgrade overrides had to be performed in the store. So be it. I wont have my phone on launch day, but who cares about that part of it. ATT needs to make sure all their people know how these things work. Poor, poor service!

15. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I'm sorry, but I just can't fathom how anyone could be willing to pay $700 for a cellphone. It makes no sense to me. You can buy a Mac Mini for that kind of money. If you want to spend $700 on a phone, go ahead by all means, but I think that kind of money could be used for much more useful things. $300 doesn't bother me though.

-Don

16. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

I am with you on that. but again everyone has his/her own plans. It's all about hype!

17. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Protip: The phone will still cost 600/700 dollars whether you pay for it up front or you get locked into a two year contract where you pay the cost over time and 200/300 up front.

18. dmx macrumors 6502

I thought I should be eligible as well.

An At&t rep told me I was not eligible because I had used an early upgrade to get my 3GS. They said you were only eligible for ONE Early upgrade every 18 months.

Out of curiosity, did you use an early upgrade in the past 18 months on that line?

19. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

Wish I could have pre ordered for that much. That's what I want to pay. Gonna try my luck waiting in line now. 3-4am FTW.

20. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

One thing;s for damn sure, Steve Jobs has a gift. And that gift is to make everyone want something that they don't need. Even if it costs a car payment of two.

Don

21. bwb macrumors member

I am hearing the same thing too. It seems to conflict somewhat with their iPhone 4 pricing fact sheet:

http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/files/iphone/pricing_fact_sheet_ip4.pdf

They don't seem to be budging on the one early upgrade per 18 months rule though.

22. dmx macrumors 6502

it really is bs if you ask me. I'm pretty sure that I've paid more overall than some users who are eligible for a full subsidy. I mean some people who were new to AT&T for the 3GS are already eligible for the full subsidy when I couldn't even get the early upgrade.

23. dmx macrumors 6502

I think I'll see what iPhone 4 is going for on eBay when I get mine.. If I can make some of the money back, it may be tempting. I think I can survive a few extra weeks.

24. bwb macrumors member

I can see it argued both ways. If you are the hardware company you want a loyal customer base that upgrades often. If you are the carrier you want the exact opposite: as few upgrades as possible because each upgrade is costing you money (subsidies). You'd prefer a new customer that keeps their phone indefinitely and keeps paying the monthly subscription fee. The more your 'loyal' customers upgrade their phones, the worse it is for you.

It's kinda ironic, that.

25. calvy macrumors 65816

hey, I paid 599 for the first iPhone, and one could argue that thing was pretty useless compared to the current generation. I mean, it couldn't even run apps without hacking!

So, this is how I talked myself into paying 699 for the 32GB black today. I wasn't eligible for the early upgrade, so I decided screw it, I'll just go the no contract price.

It does kind of suck that I could have gotten a Mac Mini for the same cost :(