Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Sometimes they are strips of plastic coated metal. Other times they are a spiral of metal on a sticky square. And almost always they are far away from the discs they are protecting.

Unfortunately, my new Star Trek (the recent film) disk is scratched straight from the box. The scratches correspond to the edges of a square stuck right under the disc. It played alright up to Nero about to put a li'l worm in Pike's mouth, froze, then skipped into the next scene. Playing it on my progressive-scan player had it showing a few more seconds, then some weird sounds, but it still skipped forward.

Would anyone at Paramount care my disc is damaged and provide a replacement? The package also contains a digital download version for iTunes, but I doubt I could make my own DVD from that (or am I mistaken?).

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Sometimes they are strips of plastic coated metal. Other times they are a spiral of metal on a sticky square. And almost always they are far away from the discs they are protecting.

Unfortunately, my new Star Trek (the recent film) disk is scratched straight from the box. The scratches correspond to the edges of a square stuck right under the disc. It played alright up to Nero about to put a li'l worm in Pike's mouth, froze, then skipped into the next scene. Playing it on my progressive-scan player had it showing a few more seconds, then some weird sounds, but it still skipped forward.

Would anyone at Paramount care my disc is damaged and provide a replacement? The package also contains a digital download version for iTunes, but I doubt I could make my own DVD from that (or am I mistaken?).
Exchange it at the store you bought it from for the same disc (this is allowed by most retailers). The manufacturer puts the security strips in at the packaging plant.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
In the past, I've bought CDs and DVDs that turned out to be scratched......I've never had any trouble returning them and getting a replacement

Return it to where you bought it and get a replacement

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
I work at BestBuy in customer service. I get this pretty frequently; and it is 'covered' by the manufacturer's warranty.

spacemanps

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
New Jersey
best buy does take open dvd exchanges for the SAME dvd, and they have to open the dvd before you leave. They DO NOT take returns on OPEN dvd's. The other week i bought the sony tv, ps3, little big planet, and ugly truth for a grand when they had the special and the dvd wasn't working. So i went to them and told them i dont really want the ugly truth and want something else. They could only give me a replacement of the same dvd due to copyright conflicts and what not. I dunno They just gave me a new dvd and opened it on the spot probably so i couldnt go back in and return it as a closed dvd. They finally smartened up..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.