Who Reads Tech News to Avoid Current Events?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Steppen Wolf, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Steppen Wolf macrumors newbie

I am not suggesting burying one’s head in the sand, but I find myself frequently favoring technology sites as a respite from all negative dialogue in current reporting.

2. Watertown macrumors newbie

Watertown

Tech news and live Sports too.
    There are rules, there’s a sense that the outcome matches the facts as witnessed.
    Nothing political makes any sense.
    Things that are real like climate change are deemed fake, and the clearly ridiculous like pizzagate and flat-earth theory are expounded on. I’m just smh.

3. Steppen Wolf thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, there is great comfort in that a turn to the right, tightens the nut. I tend to avoid articles that begin, “What if...”, “Could it...” , “Should it...”, and etc.

4. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Well, if you avoid the forums and article comments on these tech sites you may have some respite. It's astounding that logic and scientific method receive so little respect from users of technologies that are so dependent upon logic.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

I am in the same boat, however I tend not to venture into the comment sections. This site along with a few Home Theater sites are my most frequented sites on the web, but I tend to steer clear of the comments section as those can be just as vile as the news sites I am trying to avoid.

Social media is also a haven for those who are keyboard ninjas and have no fear of repercussions for their comments. Heck on twitter, I only follow comic book and bands, and yet some of them I have had to drop due to the political stuff they are posting.

6. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

^
    This! 100000% - yeah, I dropped several people because they are too political too. I like reading about tech and comics & some movies. Real life is intense enough so I often skip sites, forums and threads that discuss things I have no desire to get caught up in.

7. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Not I.

I like to keep informed of, educated about - and abreast of - current events.

And, if they are depressing, this is as a result of choices - sometimes, to my mind, nihilistic choices - made by electorates, and those whom they elect to office and power.

8. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

A good alternative is self-help literature, like self-realisation stuff like that. Bhagavad-gita As It Is is an excellent book.

9. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

All news including tech news is political now.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 14, 2018 ---
    I would agree but I think that it's generally the person who is reading the news that decides if it's negative or positive based on their point of view.

10. Mac4Brains macrumors regular

Mac4Brains

to me the teck news is the real news and for kicks I pull up CNN to see what "Curious Gorge" screwed up today, like its the funny pages of a newspaper to me now.