Who Said There's A Recession?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 4nicks, Jul 15, 2009.

1. 4nicks macrumors newbie

I am a Retired lithographic craftsman of Local One in NYC for several years titled an Offset stripper in the prePress dept., today AKA "Graphic" department,working with 4/C process in analogue, and I miss working this craft...In '94, I bought a PPC 6100, @ $2000.00, * MBs ram, a 350 MBs of Drive and to upgrade to 64MBs of ram ran me $1000.00,then a $ 500.00 AV card, plus a monitor etc and all the software,PhotoShop etc,a Useless Apple Color One printer, In '98 upgraded to a PPC , and a Wallsteet PB, The desktop has served me well thanks to OWCs Xpostfacto which allowed me to download
    to Tiger OS 10.4.11...
    And now after 11 years, the old 9600 is sort of begging for retirement,so, I been eyeing the new Mac pro the first one...But you think with this bad economy. Apple would dropped the price but instead increased the price to about $400.00...
    Apple as a K12 plan, all servicemen also get a break in their stores( and well deserved.) but no compassion for us struggling Senior Citizens, Why didn't Apple give those who bought their products, a point system towards their next purchase,according to the amount of purchase previous bought.
    towards the next purchase...YEAH,YEAH, I know about the cost of the cost of research etc, but it should balance out with the huge success from their other wares...especially for those who were loyal to mac after to business world had Mac defeated...HMMM, Who said there's a recession...Ye Ole fart...NickD

2. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

I'm amazed you typed that whole thing didn't start and stop a sentence properly. I thought certain faculty employees recieved a 25% discount from Apple.

3. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

4. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

5. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Dang Bozz, you typed that before I managed to edit it. :p

6. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I think :apple: should drop the price for everyone and forget about the other discounts. I know I just opened up a whole new ball of worms... :D

7. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

That would suck for college students whose student discount would no longer exist, but don't worry I'm not going to open that can of worms. I agree with the OP, it does seem unfair that upon returning for mac after mac you should have some loyalty discount as that is what many stores do. Apple should have a rewards program.

8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Professionals using Mac Pro's have a lot of money invested in software and can't suddenly up and switch to another platform. Apple has already seen it's profits from the Mac slow down so they increase prices knowing the user is forced to pay.

They have lowered prices on their laptops as they know consumers can switch to another platform and they need to keep competitive.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

The software cost of switching can get really expensive, out costing the machine by a wide margin. Training may also come into play, particularly for business clients with employees who don't know how to use equivalent software in other OS's (or even the same program, made to run in another OS). ;)

I'm rather certain Apple is very well aware of this, and is taking full advantage of it. I.e. the pricing has users "over a barrel".

For consumers, not so much. The software is far cheaper (no professional suites), and the machines are built for a totally different market. No training considerations, deadlines, etc. So the situation is different. Switching from Mac back to PC, or something else, may be a PITA, but not so expensive it's not possible. In the case of Linux, it's actually cheaper, given the amount of free software, and PC's can be had for less cash.

10. 4nicks thread starter macrumors newbie

Should I stand in the corner?

Gee, I didn't know that I was being read by these gammer critics,Sorry about that. I know I should of paid more attention in my English class, but I was too busy flirting and teasing the pretty gals next to me. You be surprise how many times Street Smart" comes in handy. It'll never get you to be President of USA...But then and, It's not a steady job...Night school here I come. Now let's stick to the subject, Loyalty Rewards.

11. bartelby macrumors Core

The ellipsis is my favourite bit of punctuation, and also one of my favourite words...

12. belvdr macrumors 603

Is "across the pond" your "favourite" phrase too? ;) :D

13. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Hi 4nicks, I was thinking, if you've gotten by on a 300 MHz machine for the last 11 years, would you not be better off getting a new mini? Judging by this chart you'll still have a better machine by a factor of x10!

14. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Its not a recession were already in a depression.

Just wait until the end of this year, I think many Americans (unaware right now) will realize that were in a bad depression when Christmas comes.

I think its sad that most Americans right now only believe what they hear on main stream media news such as CNN, Fox, CNBC.

When the talking heads on MSM saids that were seeing green shoots and that the recession is almost over, the people immediately believe it. Its going to hit many Americans by this xmas like a ton of bricks when reality sets in and their trying to buy food instead of christmas gifts.

15. pprior macrumors 65816

That was one of the most confusing posts I've ever tried to read. I have no idea what that man just said.

If the point is that Apple -should- be decreasing prices in a recession, well that point has been made a million time before and it appears they are doing so gradually. But if you're buying the top of the food chain (i.e. the MP) then quit yer complainin - buy a 13" macbook if you're needing to save money....

16. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Could not have put it better, but did put it shorter ;)

17. 4nicks thread starter macrumors newbie

Upgrades

Thanks for the suggestion. I have upgraded with , first Sonnet's G3 card, Then with a Sonnet G4, I !M MHz, I also upgraded my WallStreet with An Allegro/avanti G4 card. As I mentioned earlier with the help of OWCs Xpostfaxto, ( For unsupported macs.). I now have the use of OSX 10.4.11-Tiger in both, I have studied the Mini, very Good but as an retired Litho Graphic artist, I'll stick with the Power mac desktops...

18. NightwalkerUK macrumors member

To be fair there are no such machines as the power mac desktops, the mini is a good machine and dependent on what you're going to do with the machine might even in itself be more than enough. The MacPro's are really the top end machines and as such are geared up to the heavy lifting type of work.

19. 4nicks thread starter macrumors newbie

Excuse Me, But!!!

I may be wrong but I believe the ProMacs are referred to as a PowerMac desktop group.. Now if I was into Video games or (UGH) rock and roll downloads, I might consider a Mini or Imac,MacBook,But being in the Litho print shops for over 40 years as a Graphic artist,also using adobe graphics. I'll wait for a "maybe" there'll be a price drop for the MA8871ll/A MacPro. But thanks for your thoughts

20. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

:p

21. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

There's a recession?

Wait.. I thought it's more of a global depression.

22. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Americans, in general, are stupid. It's a fact.

We are in a depression, really? What can you back this up with?

The PowerMac name was dropped in 2006.

23. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

California and 7 other states are on the verge of a economic collapse. California is the 8th biggest economy in the world and 1/3 of the United States economy and once that goes bankrupt the rest of the States will be affected. California is already handing out 3 billion dollars worth of IOUS. California is ready to release 50,000 prison inmates early, shutdown 6 national parks, lay off tens of thousands of police officers, teachers, cut off welfare for all for good. Guess what that will trigger as there are 40% illegal immigrants on welfare, gang members in California? I pray that your not from California as that is the LAST place I'd want to be at this time.

If you check the U6 figures (not the U3 that the government announces publicly) it shows 16.5% unemployment rate. But if you strip out the birth/death ratio it that U6 unemployment rate goes up to 20.5%. Just do your research on what birth/death ratio is if your so much smarter than most Americans.

The main stream media keeps screaming out that we are close to an end of the recession and they see green shoots. If you read any news articles in the last 3 months since Bernanke called for green shoots, there is NOTHING that can be said that there is any green shoots.

China has called for a brand new reserve currency 4-5x already. They are not buying U.S. bonds anymore and have been asking the IMF to open up the SDRs (special drawing rights). They just had a G8 meeting a few weeks ago and president Medvedev announced a prototype of a new world currency that is made from 90% gold and 10% of copper/silver mixed in.

Retail sales have been down in almost every sector and continuing to go down, foreclosures keep rising every day, week, month, most real estate market prices have devalued as much as 80% in some areas and 20-40% in most and now commercial real estate is being affected with major retailers on the verge of bankruptcy.

But its ok, just listen to everything CNN, CNBC and Fox news tells you that everything is just peachy and there is no depression.

Well thats just only a fraction of the reasons why were in a depression.

24. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Things have changed a lot since 11 years ago. A top of the line desktop is not always necessary for professional work anymore. Although it was written a year ago, this article may help you. It's definitely worth a read.

http://www.macworld.com/article/133150/2008/05/macbuying.html

Hope this helps.

25. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Umm.. using this article as a guide.

It'll be interesting seeing how an iMac would cope with a 50MP raw image from a the Hasselblad H3DII-50. Apparently, the typical RAW files sizes are 65Mb per image (6132x8176 pixels), meanwhile a 8 bit TIFF are 150 MB each!! That's a monstrosity!!!

BTW, if anyone is interested, the basic camera kit comes in at $27,995.00
    Errr.. OK, the Canon EOS 1Ds mk III is cheap!!:p