Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
Is Nortons a blessing or a curse on OS X?

I use Nortons on my Windoze machines. If I didn't I would really be in trouble. Viruses etc.
But it is not without its problems. When you move files around on the windows machine, the norton file checking utility (SVC something) bloats (& bloats & bloats) pretty soon Nortons have locked away a good portion of the physical memory. The simple solution ( the solution to most windoze problems) is a reboot.

samsflagdrummer

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2003
I can count the number of times that Mac OS X has crashed on one hand. I would have to agree with some of the people here and say that it has to do with hardware/beta software.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Flynnstone
Is Nortons a blessing or a curse on OS X?

I use Nortons on my Windoze machines. If I didn't I would really be in trouble. Viruses etc.
But it is not without its problems. When you move files around on the windows machine, the norton file checking utility (SVC something) bloats (& bloats & bloats) pretty soon Nortons have locked away a good portion of the physical memory. The simple solution ( the solution to most windoze problems) is a reboot.

Norton is an OSX virus. Of course not literally but it has a very similar affect. Norton doesn't give you the option of installing select parts of the package in OSX like it use to in OS9. It makes you install everything including the filesaver and unerase programs. These require the system kernel to be modified and appears to really screw everything up. I had to reformat and reinstall OSX after battling multiple system failures (not crashes simply things wouldn't work). These all started soon after installing Norton. Also Norton has not been rewritten for OSX yet. It has simply been patched to work with OSX without (supposedly) screwing up the file structure and system components. If you know anything about Norton you will know that it was patched to work with OS9 and HSF+ when they came out. So in affect Norton is now a patch upon a patch and in my feelings is not a safe and reliable program to perform any repairs on an OSX system even when avoiding an installation.

awulf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
Originally posted by MacBandit
Norton is an OSX virus. Of course not literally but it has a very similar affect. Norton doesn't give you the option of installing select parts of the package in OSX like it use to in OS9. It makes you install everything including the filesaver and unerase programs. These require the system kernel to be modified and appears to really screw everything up. I had to reformat and reinstall OSX after battling multiple system failures (not crashes simply things wouldn't work). These all started soon after installing Norton. Also Norton has not been rewritten for OSX yet. It has simply been patched to work with OSX without (supposedly) screwing up the file structure and system components. If you know anything about Norton you will know that it was patched to work with OS9 and HSF+ when they came out. So in affect Norton is now a patch upon a patch and in my feelings is not a safe and reliable program to perform any repairs on an OSX system even when avoiding an installation.

Does that include Norton Antivirus and Norton Personal Firewall?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by awulf
Does that include Norton Antivirus and Norton Personal Firewall?

I don't know. I personally have put a ban on all Symantec OSX products for the time being. I have done this out of protection for my system even though I have a great desire to support Symantec as I live just a couple miles from there world head quarters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.